Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

problems.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 11:35 AM
dight1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problems.

PROBLEM TIME AGAIN FOR MY MAXX AND ENGINE!
its that time for my maxx. I havent sold it yet since i cant get it fixxed.
WHERE possibly would the air leak in from in every spot?
If your HSN is stripped from over tightening it, could that cause a air leak?
I dont really wanna start it cause im a bit nervous of starting it if it takes off. i had that happen before and i dont want it to happen again.
Would a real car mechanic be able to help on this one? My dads a mechanic and works on cars. Think he would know how to work on the engines at all?

Thanks!
Mitch.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:47 AM
jkdv8
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: problems.

if you tightened it enough to strip the high speed needle threads then the needle seat is probably damaged and more than likely you wont be able to get a tune out of it. i would suggest replacing the carb or at least the high speed needle assembly.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:55 AM
NitroVenom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL what happened to ducktape??
Old 07-17-2007, 01:02 PM
Danju

ORIGINAL: dight1

If your HSN is stripped from over tightening it, could that cause a air leak?
yup..i just did that to mine and the plastic threads are all gone. the place where you put the HSN assembly is all smooth and round. no sign of any threads...sooo i just CA glue the whole freakin place...but i dont know if it will work yet cuz i havent tried it..im gonna try today though.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:05 PM
dight1

thanks guys. I got like 2 or 3 spare carbs since my dad bought a bunch of spare parts off ebay since they are dirt cheap.

Are these engines anything like car engines except in a smaller scale?
And where else could air leak in on the carb?
Old 07-17-2007, 01:07 PM
NitroVenom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be the front bearing on the motor which cannot be sealed because its a moving part.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:11 PM
Danju

thanks guys. I got like 2 or 3 spare carbs since my dad bought a bunch of spare parts off ebay since they are dirt cheap.

Are these engines anything like car engines except in a smaller scale?
And where else could air leak in on the carb?
for a traxxas engine, they leak everywhere...i have a leak on the LSN dust boot, backplate (now gone), front bearing (now its gone), and HSN assembly...(i also had a leak at the fuel tank o-ring)....so basically after owning my revo for 6 months, ive had 5 leaks...(airleaks arent fun at all).....and i believe nitro engines are totally different than real car engines...nitros are 2 stroke...etc..
Old 07-17-2007, 01:17 PM
IOWAREVO

The carb can leak a couple of places: 1) where it seats into the block, 2) 'O' rings on all needles 3) where the nipple threads into the carb body or sometime the accordian seal over the slider. Pull the engine, put a clean piece of fuel line on the nipple. Cover the carb intake and the exhaust port on the engine. Brush a soapy water solution over the carb and blow in the tube. If you see bubbles that's your leak. rinse engine off with de-natured alcohol, while keeping the intake & exhaust ports covered.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:19 PM
Danju

oh i forgot totally: ive had more leaks....another at the carb base and 2 leaks on the exhasut system....so that makes 8 leaks.[:@]
Old 07-17-2007, 02:06 PM
tommythecat
My Feedback: (2)

You stripped the carb body where the HSN fitting screws in? If so, that is the problem. Replace the carb body, inspect all o-rings when installing in new carb body and replaced any that are less than perfect. Also check for dirt blockages the fittings before you install them in the new carb body. That is all you should need to do.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:09 PM
Traxxas_Tech
My Feedback: (22)

ORIGINAL: Danju

oh i forgot totally: ive had more leaks....another at the carb base and 2 leaks on the exhasut system....so that makes 8 leaks.[:@]

Your engine is quite the exception. Engines dont leak without reason. I've offered to help you out, but you have to help me help you. Unfortunately, posting here on how "all Traxxas engines leak" won't fix your problem. Check your PM's, I'll try again to help out. [&:]
Old 07-17-2007, 09:09 PM
dight1

ok traxxas tech. i will be a little bit more " specific " since i wasnt really

I started my rc and the carb seemed to be closed, and the thing was on the rc stand. it started going full throttle when the carb seemed closed. The needles were at factory 4-5hsn turns out and flush for LSN. The thing started going full throttle and reving up rapidly. I quickly shut it off after. I had a air leak in my fuel filter i fixxed a month ago. I look off the back plate and all that stuff, no o-rings busted. I found the one between the engine block and carb where it goes on, it wasnt there i put it on.

I dont know but is the cooling head supposed to have a o-ring or gasket there? if so i need to call traxxas right now and tell them i have a fault with my engine ;O.

Thanks again everyone.
Mitch.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:15 PM
Traxxas_Tech
My Feedback: (22)

There is no o-ring or gasket on the cooling head, only a copper shim to adjust the compression ratio.

Give us a call at 1-888-872-9927 and we'll walk you through getting your engine running right. There are too many variables to be able to type them all out here.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:18 PM
Danju

ok traxxas tech. i will be a little bit more " specific " since i wasnt really

I started my rc and the carb seemed to be closed, and the thing was on the rc stand. it started going full throttle when the carb seemed closed. The needles were at factory 4-5hsn turns out and flush for LSN. The thing started going full throttle and reving up rapidly. I quickly shut it off after. I had a air leak in my fuel filter i fixxed a month ago. I look off the back plate and all that stuff, no o-rings busted. I found the one between the engine block and carb where it goes on, it wasnt there i put it on.

I dont know but is the cooling head supposed to have a o-ring or gasket there? if so i need to call traxxas right now and tell them i have a fault with my engine ;O.

Thanks again everyone.
Mitch.
i believe thats an airleak. i had the same probs and i had an airleak at the front bearing. i changed to Boca bearings and the prob went away.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:10 PM
dight1

traxxas tech. I cant call right this second because i am quite busy lately. I will give you guys a call eventually haha. I've probably gave you like 7 to many already. my maxx causes me lots of problems lately so i called you guys lots and you did help most of the time, but there was 1 time that there was a guy who was an idiot, and couldnt help me at all. he said I cant help you sorry. And the problem was something stupid easy. But what ever.

I know its an air leak danju but dont know where is the thing. ;O

Im trying to find it and cant quite find it.

Thanks!
Mitch.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:59 PM
dight1

bump
Old 07-18-2007, 11:06 PM
CrT-RaCeR

Your lowspeed needle might be too lean if not might be leaking around there if you havent checked it yet...also check to see if your high speed need fuel inlet it clogged with a piece of dirt or debris. if this is not the problem check the fuel tank and see if there are bubbles in the fuel line. also is your hea button seated on straight and tightened up?
Old 07-19-2007, 09:53 AM
dight1

YEah, i dont know the problem. I still need to do the bubbly water. If thats not the case then i will send it to traxxas. :]
Old 07-19-2007, 10:19 AM
tommythecat
My Feedback: (2)

You did say that you stripped it out where the HSN goes in right?
Have you replaced the carb body yet?
If not, you should probably do that before you work on anything else.

It is likely still leaking and/or blocked partially due to your repairs.

Always address the known issue before trying to determine whether or not other unknown issues may be causing your problems.

Once you have the carb body replaced and have checked all of the o-rings and the fuel path in the newly set up carb, set it to factory settings and try again. If you still have problems, post back.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:05 AM
dight1

Thanks for the post. I wont have any time this weekend cause i am going camping. I will be to busy to do anything and to far away from home. I dont really wanna take it with me either. =D