Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

will buying a revo3.3 soon...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 07:13 AM
nis300zx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will buying a revo3.3 soon...

Hi guys. This is my first post to monster truck threads.
After several readings, I decided to get a Revo3.3, and I was offered to use Blue Thunder 25% (if I'm not mistaken) fuel. Is it fine to use it for engine break-in?
Thanks.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:43 PM
KRO

Default RE: will buying a revo3.3 soon...

That fuel will be fine for break in , do you plan on using it for the life of the motor ? As long as you run a quality brand of nitro you should have no problems .

If you go up or down in the % of nitro you will need to retune you motor .
Old 07-25-2007, 05:25 AM
nis300zx

Ok thanks KRO.
Can you give me some idea on how you usually clean the car and the engine after run, other than what is said on the manual?
Old 07-25-2007, 07:11 AM
ttoks

an air compressor is the best way to clean your truck, easy and fast, for the engine, i have no problems using WD-40 like traxxas suggests, but you will get more protection by using proper after run oil instead, always run the engine dry of fuel by letting it run out, put a few drops of ARO into the carbie and turn it over, then clean the air filter, every time you use the truck.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:23 PM
Art91

You can also use compressed air from a can, just in case you don't have an air compressor.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:31 PM
Snaut Rocket

your not suppose to put afterrun in the carb. I went by os engines instructions and you should put after run in the place were the glowplug is.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:13 PM
Danju

ORIGINAL: Snaut Rocket

your not suppose to put afterrun in the carb. I went by os engines instructions and you should put after run in the place were the glowplug is.
i put aro in the carb...fuel passes be the carb so you gotta put some in or else it will..ya know....um...rust? no, corrode? oxidize? w/e
Old 07-25-2007, 04:36 PM
jerry_pnegras@hotmail

to have a great clean joop`, you need to do this, put off the motor, and the reciver whith old servos, this ithems only cant clean whit a towel whit a little wather, the chasis and old the parts ,apply a trops off soap like (palmolive) and brush whit a teetbrush
Old 07-25-2007, 11:35 PM
91litesho

WHAT???? CHECK YOUR SPELLIN MAN... LOL, AS FAR AS TEH ORIGINAL QUESTION, IF BUYIN A NEW REVO , JUS FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS THEY GIVE YOU , THEY EVEN GIVE U A DVD !! HOW TO TAKE CARE AND MAINTAIN YOU TRUCK IS ON THERE AS WELL.

AS FAR AS FUEL GOES, THERES NO NEED FOR A "BREAK IN FUEL" WHAT EVER FUEL YOU USE OR START OFF WITH STAY WITH THAT PARTICULAR FUEL INCLUDING THE NITRO RATIO . PERSONALLY ID RECOMMEND TRAXXAS' BRAND "TOP FUEL" AND 20% IS PROBABLY WHERE YOU WANT TO BE. MAKE SURE YOU FOLLOW THE BREAK IN PROCEDURE ,[i]AND KEEP YOUR AIR FILTERS CLEAN
Old 07-26-2007, 04:14 AM
ttoks

traxxas fuel is crap to say the least, way to much oil, o'donnoll i think is one of the best, also heard good things about rocket fuel and sidewinder, personally i'v only use a little of o'donnoll and it is good fuel.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:26 AM
nis300zx

Hey can someone gimme some idea on break-in procedure? Haven't got the revo yet, but just want to know before hand.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:58 AM
Demthios

Scroll down to the bottom of this link and it has the actual card that will come on the fuel tank. http://www.traxxas.com/support/index...&cat=88&id=450
Old 07-26-2007, 07:22 PM
nis300zx

Thanks for the link.
So the break-in procedure means that the car should be off the ground? Can you explain more on those steps on the card (Tank 1 - Tank 5)?
On the card its says: Tank 1- Throttle 1/4, Time 2 sec, Cool:15 min, Bodyff, Apply throttle gradually, can you give more description on this?
Old 07-26-2007, 07:54 PM
rawiswar

ORIGINAL: nis300zx

Thanks for the link.
So the break-in procedure means that the car should be off the ground? Can you explain more on those steps on the card (Tank 1 - Tank 5)?
On the card its says: Tank 1- Throttle 1/4, Time 2 sec, Cool:15 min, Bodyff, Apply throttle gradually, can you give more description on this?
the car should be run on the ground

tank 1

no more than 1/4 throttle (that means 1/4 of the full amount the trigger can be squeezed in) then let go after 2 secs then back on 1/4 throttle for 2 secs then off again

after the tank is just about empty (around 20-30mins on first tank)

turn off engine for 15 mins to cool down then start her back up for tank 2

and then follow the rest of instructions on how much throttle to give and for how long at a time
Old 07-27-2007, 11:12 AM
nis300zx

Thanks, thats extra clear.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:48 AM
nis300zx

I'm still not convinced into buying a revo 3.3 yet. What makes you guys keep driving this truck? Is it easy to maintain, as for the newer 3.3 engine supposed to be having some improvements over the 2.5? And what makes you say avoid this truck for future buyer like me and find another rc nitro?
Old 08-02-2007, 12:01 PM
BRUSHLESS BASHER

I would NOT buy blue thuder, under any circumstances. I will be breaking in my OS .18tz, and the only fuel that will ever go into this engine is Odonell's 20% race blend. there are several reasons for that, mainly because it is just way better fuel. and you want the race blend, it has just the right amount of oil for it to be able comminucate it's symptoms, and still protect the engine. if there is too much oil you could be running lean and not know it. and blue thunder is made by dynamite, I have 2 things made by dynamite, neither impressed me, my first glo ignitor, and a body reamer, both had lost of defects, dirty spots, and the quality standards were horible, the spring in the glow ignitor fell out when I opened it to put a battery in. besides, blue thunder can turn the internals blue, there's a picture of a .12tz that ran a little too lean on blue thunder. lastly, they use onl synthetic oils, I don't have time to explain why that's bad right now, but look it up, synthetics and castor il should be blended for various reasons.

as for the revo, everything that happenned was my fault, the engine, and some breakages, all were my improper tuning, hitting curbs, etc...

sorry it is so messed up, I'm in a hurry.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54744.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	734226  
Old 08-02-2007, 07:11 PM
nis300zx

Well thanks for the reply Brushless Basher, as for the blue thunder, it was recommended by the seller, or maybe he only has and sell that brand. I haven't check with lhs in my area. I'm just concerning about the right fuel brand to use with. Theres very limited lhs in my area, maybe 1 or 2 places only.
Any other Blue Thunder user that has some good/bad experience with this brand?
And any opinions about the revo?
Old 08-02-2007, 07:17 PM
rawiswar

ORIGINAL: nis300zx

Well thanks for the reply Brushless Basher, as for the blue thunder, it was recommended by the seller, or maybe he only has and sell that brand. I haven't check with lhs in my area. I'm just concerning about the right fuel brand to use with. Theres very limited lhs in my area, maybe 1 or 2 places only.
Any other Blue Thunder user that has some good/bad experience with this brand?
And any opinions about the revo?

your best bet is either get the revo or lst2 thats about it and if your concerned about the blue thunder but cant get another brand at your lhs just order a case of 4 from the distributor
Old 08-03-2007, 12:16 AM
fox23

im using Blue Thunder 20%, i was also told to use it by the seller (and other rc friends). but im not sure if im overly impressed with it. but then again, ive never used anything else...
Old 08-03-2007, 03:31 AM
slgunnel

I went from using Top Fuel 20% (recommended from Hobby Town) to Blue Thunder 20% (recommended from guys at the track) and haven't looked back since. Top Fuel is recommended by Trax for all their engines, but then again they make it. I haven't had any problems out of several gallons now, and I could also tell an improvement in my 2.5's performance since the change to Blue Thunder. I've never used any other fuels, so I can't comment on them.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:23 AM
ttoks

the best fuel i have ever used is massive mods H333 25%, but that is only sold in Australia, so the fuel i would recommend is O'donnoll, it is commonly accepted as one of the best fuel manufacturers, i have only used 1 liter of the 20% race blend but i was very impressed.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:33 AM
nis300zx

I was offered the revo 3.3 and hyper8 buggy by the seller, he also carried lots of revo's spare parts and hop ups in his store, don't know much about hyper8, since I already have EP Kyosho Mini Inferno Half8.
So I'm seeing the BlueThunder fuel is still fine to use.
Another concern, what may cause damage to the engine, like in someone's thread, [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1838848/anchors_1838848/mpage_1/key_blue%252Cthunder/anchor/tm.htm#1838848]Engine Probs[/link], just because he ran with BlueThunder?
How strong is the revo3.3's engine to take some abusive bashing?
Old 08-04-2007, 09:28 PM
nis300zx

hmmm...anyone?
Old 08-04-2007, 11:55 PM
ttoks

it isn't a very strong engine in comparison to other engines out there, thats offset by the low weight of the truck, but it will take heavy bashing as long as it's broken in and tuned right, if you want there are several engines specificly for the revo you can buy, eg the O.S .18 TM (and .21 TM over here in Australia) the picco .26 max and the RB TM323 and TM523, and then just about any big block can be fitted with the use of either the new era or qoncepts engine mount (such as the picco .28 P3, STS D30M, and novarossi 528, losi mach 427 ect), so if you don't like the stock engine there are plenty of options to choose from.