Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

O.S. ENGINES WONT START!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 10:17 AM
hxtour ben

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O.S. ENGINES WONT START!!!!!

ok... so i know they are good engines... but i just bought an o.s. 12tz for a losi ST and an 18tm for my revo. i ahve got the 18tm started finaly after five OWBs (btw i just stripped another) but it wont start now... i have no clue why! as for the 12 tz... it has never started. it wont even ignite... i have no idea whats wrong will somone pls help me!
Old 07-25-2007, 10:25 AM
Beasley1

Default RE: O.S. ENGINES WONT START!!!!!

Its got to be something simple like maybe you need to check your glow ignitor to make sure it works.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:28 AM
DaveG55

You'll have to tell us more if you want any real help. Are the engines both new? Have they been broken in? What have you done to try to start them? Have you preheated the engines? Loosened the glow plugs?, Tried new glow plugs? Is the ignitor fully charged? Is fuel getting to the engines? Have you turned any of the carb needles? Are you using an ez-start, pull start, what? I could tell you what I'd do but that would just mean a lot of wasted typing if you've already tried that stuff.
Give more details, the more, the better and we'll try to help out.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:36 AM
hxtour ben

yeah sorry.. ok the engines are both brand new.... not broken in i have only tried to break them in.... i am using a roto start for the 18 and a starter box for the 12tz. i have tried a new glow plug... wont work.... the glow ignitor is fully charged fuel is getting to the engines i have turned the idle up on both just to make sure it wasnt closed.... the hsns are both at factory settings.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:45 PM
DaveG55

The idle, at this point, won't matter that much. Just be sure hat it has a 1mm gap when the carb is closed - radio trim should be either centered or all the way to the left, depending on the linkage set-up.

Try this if you have not.
First loosen the glow plug 1/4 - 1/2 turn.
Heat the engine with a hair dryer or, preferably, a heat gun. You want the engine to be 200 degrees or so.
Prime the engine by blowing into the tube that comes from the exhaust/tuned pipe. Blow JUST until the fuel reaches the carb NOT INTO IT. Reconect the tube after priming
Connect a fully charged ignitor and try to start the engine, it should try to run.
If it starts and runs then remove the ignitor, tighten the plug and follow the break-in instructions for your engine.
If it does not start after a few seconds then stop and turn the HSN 1/8 turn clockwise and try again. You can repeat leaning the HSN - up to about 1/2 turn or so total - at 1/8 turn at a time. You want the engine to run as rich as possable right now.
Since you have had owb problems you may be flooding the engine (that will kill a owb quick). If the engine acts like it's not wanting to spin, (or there is an excess of raw fuel coming out the exhaust) stop and check for flooding. If it is flooded pull the glow plug, disconnect the fuel line from the carb, turn the engine upside down and spin the engine over a few times - untill fuel quits coming out. Then put the plug back in and repeat the starting ritual.

Those things will usually get the engine started.
You may need to repeat the loosen glowplug and preheating through and after the break-in. I had to heat my TM for 1/2 gallon or more and I've heard of people having to still preheat after a gallon.

Once you get the engine broken in, then, it's time to start tuning. Not really before. Before it's broken in all you want to do is lean the HSN enough to get it to run.

New engines are notorious for being hard to start (and keep running) but don't get discouraged.

Good luck
Old 07-25-2007, 03:01 PM
PiccoLow

Also, always turn your piston to BDC during the cooldown phase of breakin. It helps with contraction as well as getting it started again after it's cooled. I'm breaking in my 5th engine (various trucks) today and it has always been a labor of love till about tank 4-5.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:17 PM
6speednissan

Did you by chance forget the put the collet on before the flywheel on the .18tm?