Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

nitro disposal - PLEASE READ !!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 08:53 PM
dogbone100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nitro disposal - PLEASE READ !!!

From my local newspaper:

OXFORD – Two Oxford youths playing with flammable liquids were horribly injured and air lifted to medical facilities with severe burns Thursday night.
At around 9:01 p.m. Thursday, a loud explosion was heard near the apartments. Oxford fire and emergency crews responded to the scene and found two young boys injured. Police believe the two boys, ages 10 and 12, were playing with a bottle of “nitro fluid” which is commonly found in radio-controlled racing cars.
The fluid contains nitromethane, methanol and some non-petroleum lubricants. The substance is very poisonous and highly flammable.
Police believe the boys may have retrieved the material from a dumpster, but are still investigating the source and attempting to locate the owner of the nitro-fluid.
One youth was airlifted to Syracuse Hospital Burn Center by helicopter, with severe burns to his body. The second youth was transported to Wilson Hospital and later taken to Upstate Medical Hospital in Syracuse with severe burns to both legs.

OXFORD – Oxford Police have charged a 19-year-old with improperly disposing of a highly flammable material. Police said that negligence aided in creating a dangerous situation that left two youths severely burned.
Police arrested Sean M. Rose Tuesday and charged him with endangering the welfare of a child for allegedly tossing an explosive quart-sized bottle of nitro fuel into a common dumpster in an apartment complex on Chenango Street.
On Sept. 13 at around 9 p.m., two boys, ages 10 and 12, pulled the bottle from the garbage and accidentally lit themselves on fire while playing with the material.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:58 PM
nitrorcjunkie

Default RE: nitro disposal - PLEASE READ !!!

Sorry to hear about those two kids getting burned, but how can the law possibly feel they have a case if these two jackasses were dumpster diving and lighting fuel on fire? Personally, I always dispose of my nitro fuel by burning it- thru my trucks!
Old 10-04-2007, 09:06 PM
flaminheli

Sounds as if the two kids are not even being raised properly. Digging in the trash? They need to haul the parents to jail. When they get out of the hospital they need thier *****es tore up. What were they doing with an ignition source at the ages of 10 and 12.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:14 PM
HILLFINGER

Hum I can't see trashing a bottle of perfectly good fuel, they must give the stuff away in Oxford lol I can't afford to throw it away
Old 10-04-2007, 09:23 PM
jatoracing33

its the kids fualt for being stupid, unfortunatly theres no law that says "if you are stupid then its not anyone elses fualt". man i wish there was a law like that
Old 10-05-2007, 01:03 AM
NITROHOLICS ANONYMOUS

But if the kids didn't have access to the fuel, it could be said that they wouldn't of done it. I don't think that that is entirely fair, but it's the law, and fuel needs to be disposed of properly.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:04 AM
MAXX3TR

"accidentally lit themselves on fire" how'd they get the lighter?
Old 10-05-2007, 03:17 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did they "accidently" dig through the dumpster? "Accidently" start playing with matches or lighter?

Give me a friggin break...more lawyers and law suits...because two dumb ***** kids were screwing around...

If they can't read Danger Flammable by the time they are 10-12 then they're gonna have even more problems...morons.

What do you bet they were trying to make a "Molotov cocktail"?

Granted, the 19 yr. old was perhaps negligent in his improper disposal of the "nitro fluid" but to over react and punish him is B.S.

BTW...is there anything printed on a typical fuel bottle as to "proper disposal" of any un-used portion? If not, what do ya bet there will soon be!

I think when the general (read: uneducated ) public sees the word "nitro" they automatically think "explosive" and get scared.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:41 AM
jarett 92

wow...that sucks...sounds like something i would do. but not with nitro fuel...lol *****s too expensive. but i dont really see how it is anyone fault. how do u properly dispose of nitro fuel anyway?
Old 10-05-2007, 05:49 AM
NITROHOLICS ANONYMOUS

supposed to take it to a tip or something? I just pour it back in the gallon, it doesn't seem to matter, or I use little amounts as weed killer on the edges of the lawn
Old 10-05-2007, 06:45 AM
RCCanuck

you want the parents to be responsible for the behavior of their kids....but the doughhead who improperly disposed of a dangerous flammable, explosive chemical illegaly...what?? he gets a pass????
thats just dumb......we are supposed to protect kids no matter what. Not turn our back on them and blame them for being young, curious, inexperienced, dumb.
How many of you who blamed these kids or their parents actually have raised any children????
give me a break...the judge should place the retard who tossed the fuel in the dumpster on probation for 10 yrs and stipulate that he stay away from my hobby or anything else that requires some brains to handle properly.

I would literally not be able to handle the guilt associated with something like this if it were my fault...Having said that I'm extremely cautious with my stuff that could be harmfull to anybody...All 3 of my children know the dangers and are well schooled in the art of "HANDS OFF OF DADS STUFF"

Old 10-05-2007, 06:54 AM
NITROHOLICS ANONYMOUS

Well said, it's nice to get a parents point of view.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:39 AM
ttoks

i see how it could easily see how the blame could be put on the careless 19 year old, but have you ever seen on a bottle of glow fuel how to properly dispose of it? i haven't, for all we know the 19 year old was just as clueless on how to dispose of as the kids who lit them self on fire with it, i don't think anyone should be charged with this incident.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:44 AM
NITROHOLICS ANONYMOUS

Well what would everyone say is the "proper way" to dispose of fuel? everybody is always saying to dispose of it properly, but no-one specifies how to.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:47 AM
ttoks

an industrial wast bin, i usually just use mine as air filter cleaner if i have it long enough for it to go bad though, and then take it to work and drop it in the chemical east bin there, or if i'm in a fun mood i'll burn it at night time.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:58 AM
pilot727

I never have thrown any of my nito away and when i do i rinse out the bottle and take off the cap and throw it into the dumpster so that if any fumes are there the air will disolve them, but i have never seen anyone through away enough nitro to do that kind of damage, if he threw away a half of a bottle then he bought it and must know what it can do is he uses it, it was a bad accident but dont hand the kid either, we do not know how much was in the bottle or did the kids find the bottle and put some gas into it to see if it would mix with the nitro for kicks, many answers unanswered here, but i do pray that they come out of it ok and are not disabled in any way or disfigured. There is also a law about getting into dumsters and taking anything out, i am willing to bet they have been told before to stay out of the dumpsters.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:39 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's too bad that they got burned...that's for sure...but they are 10 and 12 years old...not 4 and 6 you know what I mean?!

They should know better...that's my point...it's a common sense thing, ya know?

And it's the alcohol that burns...the % of "nitro" is relatively small and if you drop a lit match into a puddle of nitro methane (not model engine fuel ) the match quickly gets extinguished.

I did my share of stupid things when I was a kid...but if it turned out all effed up I didn't blame anyone but myself (or one of my idiot buddies ) and my father would have smacked me upside the head...[X(] and said "what the he!! were you doing that for"?!

As far as disposing of it? You're supposed to "dispose" of it one tank at a time in your car/truck/buggy...it will keep for months or even years if you store it properly.

I don't want to come across as an a** about this, but what ticks me off is that some people are just not capable of assuming responsability for their own actions. (as they should be...)
Old 10-05-2007, 09:45 AM
Yakueb

I really don't understand how they managed to light themselves on fire with it. Arn't the fumes flammible at 95 degrees (or thereabouts)? I have put matches out in the stuff. These kids were doing something really wrong.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:56 PM
jatoracing33

ORIGINAL: RCCanuck

you want the parents to be responsible for the behavior of their kids....but the doughhead who improperly disposed of a dangerous flammable, explosive chemical illegaly...what?? he gets a pass????
thats just dumb......we are supposed to protect kids no matter what. Not turn our back on them and blame them for being young, curious, inexperienced, dumb.
How many of you who blamed these kids or their parents actually have raised any children????
give me a break...the judge should place the retard who tossed the fuel in the dumpster on probation for 10 yrs and stipulate that he stay away from my hobby or anything else that requires some brains to handle properly.

I would literally not be able to handle the guilt associated with something like this if it were my fault...Having said that I'm extremely cautious with my stuff that could be harmfull to anybody...All 3 of my children know the dangers and are well schooled in the art of "HANDS OFF OF DADS STUFF"

its nice that we got a parents point of view on this, but dont you think the kids can read "flamable"? and if they didnt know it was flamable they wouldnt have tried to light it in the 1st place
Old 10-05-2007, 02:15 PM
JB COMP

one thing, you should be trying to light random stuff on fire. they probabl didn't know that the nitro fuel burns clear. and this stuff burns slow, so its not likt a spark could fell on it and light it, know they where trying to catch somthing on fire, and it just happend to be themselves.

look fire is HOT, so if you don't want to get burned, then don't mess with it, its as simple as that. If I light somthing on fire and I got burned, my Dad would tell me I shouldn't of been messing with, and to think.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:17 PM
pilot727

The kid's would have lite it anyways, not really knowing, kid's are kid's, we need not worry who's fault it is, we need to pray for the kid's to be ok and come out of this as best as possible, i am sure whomever threw the container into the dumster feels bad about what he done and has to live with it, i am just wondering, he could not have thrown alot of fuel away, maybe the kids added something to it, we just do not know, so lets not condem those of who we know nothing about, and let the courts take care of this matter, the truth will come out. It is an awful lesson that we will all learn from. i just do not want to hang some one without knowing what really happened first.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:28 PM
JB COMP

heres a way to get rid of fuel,
1.) use it
2.) pore it out
3.) leave the cap off so the nitromethane and methanol will evaporate out and leave just oil.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:31 PM
pilot727

That is what i do, also rinse it out with water and as you said leave the cap off, but still we really do not know all that happened.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:36 PM
JB COMP

I just use it, and don't buy anymore till I need it.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:52 PM
jatoracing33

if i ever have nitro to get rid of id probly use a little bit as a firestarter for when my grandmother has boxes to burn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.