Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

A little worried!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 08:42 PM
tomcatguy74
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A little worried!!!

Hey everyone,

I was running my Revo at my work(I work at an airport) and I was performing some high speed passes for my buddies on the flightline and I was not watching how long I was on the throttle at full speed and I brought my Revo in for a temp check and the first time I checked it it was at 315 degrees and I shut it down and let it cool for a few hours and the second time I ran it I got a reading of 360 degrees!!!!![X(]

I don't know how long it was at that temp but it was not very long. Maybe 20-30 secs before O checked the temps.

I am worried that I might have damaged the engine. I mean it ran fine before I checked the temps but I have not run it since I shut it down so I am not sure if anything has happened to the engine.

Is there anything I can check to make sure the engine is not damaged?

Should I break it down?

I hope evrything is ok.[]

Rob
Old 01-13-2008, 08:46 PM
NitroVenom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: A little worried!!!

Its the 3.3 right? Honestly you shouldn't be to worried about engine temps goin up that high if it was only for a min or two. Its not the greatest thing but its not going to be fatal. What temp gun are you useing?
Old 01-13-2008, 08:51 PM
Clymer122693

tear it down and see if the piston is black if it is then you shortend the engine life but i would still run it till she finally dies and when you do high speed runs like that only do them for like 5 secs or less and then make sure you have a nice trail of blue smoke all the time when your driving it.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:07 PM
tomcatguy74

Hey,

I was using this temp gun:[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLXW8&P=ML]Temp Gauge[/link]

And yes it was the TRX 3.3. And it only has less than 4 hours of run time including break in

The max speed runs were about 10 sec long with maybe a couple at 30 secs or less. I was not wide open for minute lengths of time. I was getting a trail of blue smoke.

Trust me I won't do these again!!
Old 01-13-2008, 09:12 PM
jarett 92

just richen it up...its not work going a little bit faster to ruin your engine...just richen it until temps are alright.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:59 AM
beer=food
Banned

Yea richen the top end, it sounds like its leaning out at high revs, goes fast but, sizzle sizzle sizzle, and yea watch for your blue smokey trail.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:13 AM
Chris1974

Your engine is probably fine. Keep in mind that even after engine break-in, the engine is still new. The piston ring still hasn't created a really good wear pattern, and everything is still tight inside the motor. This creates friction, which creates heat.

Just make sure she is good and rich for at least the first gallon, and everything should be fine. Besides, high speed isn't that bad....these engines are air cooled.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:00 PM
JB COMP

Whay fuel are you running? if you use a fuel that has full castor oil then running temps in the 300 - 350 range will not be as bad as if you're running a fuel with synthetic oil, synthetic oil starts to burn when the engine temp is around 280 - 290F and thats what leaves black stuff inside your engine. I run Sidewinder which has a full castor oil and in a engine thats been run at 300+ for about a gallon there was a nice coating of this redish brown oil over all the inside of the engine, I got 3 gallons out of that engine, when I got the engine it had 2 gallons on it, and the guy I got it form didn't break it in, and ran it a little lean from what he told me, and I got 3 gallons out of it.

I will not run any fuel unless it has Castor oil in it, and thats final.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:32 PM
iamnot

ORIGINAL: Chris1974

Your engine is probably fine. Keep in mind that even after engine break-in, the engine is still new. The piston ring still hasn't created a really good wear pattern, and everything is still tight inside the motor. This creates friction, which creates heat.

Just make sure she is good and rich for at least the first gallon, and everything should be fine. Besides, high speed isn't that bad....these engines are air cooled.

your point is valid
but, nit picking a bit
these engines do not have rings

tommy
if after you retune you still get high temps you may have an air leak
10 - 30 sec wot runs should not get you 360 deg temps, 300 or a bit more maybe, but not 360
oh, and your engine is ok
Old 01-14-2008, 01:36 PM
Chris1974

Nitpicking??? How so?

Are you sure about the rings??
Old 01-14-2008, 01:58 PM
JB COMP

ABC engines are ringless, on planes, you have ABC or ringed. a little ring couldn't handle 35,000+ rpm and not break.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:47 PM
snoking16

no rings...guess someone has not had the pleasure of taking one of these things apart...fun, but mostly a pain in the but.

a agree with iamnot...360 temps would mean you are very very lean and in those extreme conditions the motor wouldnt stay running durring those high speed passes. makes me thing of an air leak....do you know hot to test for air leaks???
Old 01-14-2008, 04:24 PM
tomcatguy74

Testing for an air leak, isn't that done by spraying the engine with soap and capping all the lines and looking for soap bubbles or something?

Also, I am running Traxxas 20%
Old 01-14-2008, 04:49 PM
JB COMP

topfuel uses a 70/30 synthetic/castor oil bleand and it has 18-20% oil, which is really high race fuels use 8% - 12% oil but usualy full castor. I would recomend swiching to a good race fuel either Sidewinder or Byrons race. with high oil the engine can be running lean but it will not show its lean.

and just a tip, these engines are spend most of there life (like 70%) on the bottom end, so any WOT runs over 2-3sec you need to richen the HSN at least 1/4 or more turns. my engines run 260 on the track, but if I do 2-3sec WOT runs the temps fly up to 300*F - 330*F these engines when running WOT they lean out the longer they run at WOT.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:35 PM
tomcatguy74

ok, so I am trying to understand this from you guys.
If I have my engine running rich enough then I can do high speed runs all day and being rich will keep it at a decent temp during long periods of WOT??
Am I understanding this enough?
Isn't it true that to get more performance you have to sacrifice cooling and run leaner, and to get more protection you have to run richer and sacrifice speed?
Old 01-14-2008, 10:08 PM
snoking16

u pretty much have the concept down...running fast isnt worth running really hot...u want to stay in the good performance/good protection area. you will figure out the sweet spot soon.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:18 PM
JB COMP

temp is not realy a big issue, its more making sure its not lean, but temps can help you to find a problem.

if you have it rich enough you can do high speed runs for longer times, but it will not be full speed because its so rich, at race tune (or close to it) the engien will lean out doing WOT runs but will hit top speed, but with the engine at race tune (or close to it) the engine will over rev and over reving will kill the engine fast. thats probably the fastest way to kill a engine is by over reving it.

Off-road cars/engines are not made for high speeds, they are made for for getting in and out of turns.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:56 AM
Chris1974

Tomcat-

Long story short....As long as you have a good trail of smoke at top end, then you should be fine...
Old 01-15-2008, 09:48 PM
tomcatguy74

Guys,

I still have not driven my Revo since the over heat because I have been busy doing stuff with the family.
Tomarrow I will drive it.

Should I:

1, Run the truck and richen the mixture and see how it performs?

or

2. Tear the engine down and inspect for heat damage and post my findings?

Thanks

Rob
Old 01-15-2008, 09:51 PM
snoking16

i would run it first, richen up the HSN a bit and see how it performs.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:09 AM
smoken u!

Revos and tmaxx's are natorious for that. but i have no idea what to do.[sm=50_50.gif]
Old 01-17-2008, 07:46 PM
tomcatguy74

Ok fellas, I ran my Revo tonight. Mind you the weather was very cloudy, pretty rainy kinda weather. Temps were about 66 degrees and the humidity was about 90%. It was not raining though.

Anyway, The Revo did not run well at all.
Here is a list of things it was doing:
Apon first startup it was surging alot. The engine would revv up and slow down revv up and slow down revv up and slow down.

I did some high speed passes and I noticed that when I applied full brakes during a high speed pass the engine would revv up again. Once it stopped I would give it a little throttle and the RPMs would stay constant even though I had released the throttle and the truck would just drive around like that.

Then I would try and adjust the idle and low speed needles and I could not get the truck to idle unless the engine was revving high. Once I got the engine to idle (with the ezstart helping) I would try to bring the idle down to a good sounding idle speed and I would release the ezstart then the engine would die.

After resetting all the needles and idle settings, I tried to tune it again. This time I got it to idle properly, but when I gunned the throttle it woul die. If I gave it throttle slowly it would accelerate sluggishly. Then I could gun the throttle and it would work just OK but once I would coast to a stop and gun it like a 3rd time it would die.

Amonst all this, I did have the Revo tuned almost right only once because I was able to get only one wheelie out of it and then the good tune went away. Thats when I had the idling problems.

I did change the glow plug once during all this.

I am not sure what to do at this point and I really need your help trying to track down this problem.

Is it possible that there would be an air leak somewhere? Someone mentioned that earier.

Is it possible that I warped the engine when it went to 360 degrees before?

Please help!!

Rob
Old 01-17-2008, 08:37 PM
NitroVenom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like an airleak from your description. Don't run your truck untill you determine if it is an air-leak and deff. contact traxxas because its not that old. Maybe you'll get really lucky and they'll send you a motor. Just tell them everything that happened while you were running it. Maybe even show them this thread just to save yourself from having to repeat yourself.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:29 PM
tomcatguy74

Do you think if I tell Traxxas that the engine reached 360 degrees that they would still honor the warrenty?
Old 01-18-2008, 12:39 AM
snoking16

dont tell them...but it sounds like u need to seal the engine up. those are all signs of an air leak.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.