Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

The signs of Bad Fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 04:45 PM
Soothsayerman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The signs of Bad Fuel?

Hey guys,

Spent some more time tuning the Revo today and got her running okayish but it was doing something I don't quite understand. I was doing some high speed runs and whenever I would go WOT the engine would bog and die with a big puff of blue smoke. So I'm thinking maybe it was a bit rich so I start to lean it little by little and then it would just act like it ran out of gas.

So I started to richen it again and then it would bog. I can't get it to wot without dying. It runs at low-medium throttle just fine. I tried a couple of different plugs but no joy.

The engine has had 1 gallon run through it, compression seems fine, I maintain it really well and keep it squeaky clean after I run it.

Since I'm at a loss, I was thinking maybe my fuel is contaminated?? I really don't know. What are the signs of bad fuel if any?

Thanks man
Old 01-27-2008, 05:02 PM
RCCanuck

Default RE: The signs of Bad Fuel?

very foamy in the tank....bad running engine is another....try some fresh fuel see if it runs better...
How old is the fuel you are using. how was it stored and what kind is it?
Old 01-27-2008, 05:20 PM
Soothsayerman

Rocket Science 1 gallon, 20% clear plastic jug kept in the dark, about 6 months old.

If it was gasoline, I would throw it away so... I'll try new fuel.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:34 PM
jessemxt

I think it is the fuel I am tuning a used revo 2.5 and it was running really bad I put new fuel in with the old and it is running better I am going to put all fresh fuel in.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:33 PM
DaveG55

Hard to tune is the biggest thing. And getting it to hold a tune. Never heard the foaming thing though... Could be true I suppose, but this is the first time I've heard that one.

If the fuel was tightly sealed, 6 months is not too long to keep it.
The key is tightly sealed, with as much air purged from the bottle as possible, stored in a cool dark place.

Still, with your symptoms, I'd try new fuel too. For sure it won't hurt anything.