Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > Traxxas Monster Truck forum
Reload this Page >

Don't you hate when this happens??? Killed another 3.3

Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Don't you hate when this happens??? Killed another 3.3

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 01:15 AM
FISH KILLA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't you hate when this happens??? Killed another 3.3

Temp was 222 at time of blast. I think the piston and sleeve are okay though. Still can't push the piston all the way up.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86942.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	913799   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45788.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	913800   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vb73878.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	913801   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gz76233.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	913802  
Old 03-26-2008, 01:22 AM
ttoks

Default RE: Don't you hate when this happens??? Killed another 3.3

dude... what the HELL to you keep doing to these engines? seriously you need like a cumins diesel in your revo coz thats what, the 3ed 3.3? and you snapped the fricken block in half too

we need to hear this story[8D]
Old 03-26-2008, 04:40 AM
megamaxx

need to change your name to 3.3 KILLA!,what happened there?
Old 03-26-2008, 04:40 AM
beer=food
Banned

LOL what he said, and that red gunk, it looks like it got right through the engine while runnin, and like he said how did you 'afubar' that block ? LOL !
Old 03-26-2008, 05:44 AM
HILLFINGER

[sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif] FISH KILLA all I can say is you are the man, you may need to switch to electric.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:00 AM
rjbarthel
My Feedback: (2)

MMMM unreal just stay away from my Revo and my Tmaxx for that matter.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:00 AM
[email protected]

see i told you kill engines man LOL

but hook us up with a story cuz that just looks like you took a 7mm mag. put the engine 10 ft away and shot it while runnin.[>:]
Old 03-26-2008, 06:33 AM
ENZO7
Banned

So that makes 4 right? What do you do to these engines to make them explode? You must be really good at break in now!

Just kiddin, but I would like to know what happened!
Old 03-26-2008, 07:31 AM
wayfast

man all i got to say is WOW!!!!!!! and you are thinking aboutgetting a nice motor. you might want to stick to the cheapest motor that you can find untill you stop doing that. 222 it looks like you had it at 333 maybe. but on the other hand i have never had good luck with any traxxas 3.3s any way. but fromt he way you run yours it looks like that maye have been the result of a bad flip that stated a hair line crack and then lead up to that. has your motor ever taken a beating? i am sure i already know the answer to that one. you might want to in vest in a roll cage. that is a first for me to see a case do that. you must have really bad luck or you keep getting the motor that was made at 4:30 on friday after.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:29 AM
slayerphonics

Time to upgrade to a real engine,
Gonna stay small block? or go big block?
Old 03-26-2008, 09:07 AM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

Little JB weld and it will be as good as new...

Actually, that looks like a defect in the crankcase casting. Maybe a bad batch?

If I had to guess you took a hard landing on the cooling head and that wasn't from just heat right?
Old 03-26-2008, 09:37 AM
slayerphonics

It had to be from fliping on concrete. saw some vids of him driving with no body on pavement,

Gotta hear the story,
Old 03-26-2008, 11:30 AM
Clymer122693

WTH DID YOU DO?!?!?!?! You must be a hardcore basher or just need a electric LOL
Old 03-26-2008, 11:33 AM
Clymer122693

ORIGINAL: slayerphonics

Time to upgrade to a real engine,
Gonna stay small block? or go big block?
Your saying the 3.3 isn't a real engine? must be another one just joining the crowd eh?
Old 03-26-2008, 11:38 AM
Danju

ORIGINAL: FISH KILLA

Temp was 222 at time of blast. I think the piston and sleeve are okay though. Still can't push the piston all the way up.
holy crud...im speechless...[X(][X(][X(][X(][X(]
Old 03-26-2008, 11:43 AM
MIKEA46996

DAMN.......... WOW.........And a couple words I can't say here. Holy Crap dude, send it to traxxas maybe its under warranty. LMFAO.

IF IT AIN'T BREAKING.... YOU AIN'T BASHING.... LOL.

CHANGE YOUR NAME TO THE EXTREME BUDDY.

Never seen anybody blow one apart like that you running 99% nitro @ 1000* F or what.
You didn't get that on vid did you.[X(]
Old 03-26-2008, 11:55 AM
JB COMP

I wish I could just go around blowing up engines and not have to worry about it[&:]
Old 03-26-2008, 12:04 PM
FISH KILLA

Okay okay here is the story...I got my revo on christmas. In the first week and a half and half a gallon I broke a rod. Traxxas sent me a new one with a piston and sleeve and a new case because the case had a hole popped in it from the rod breaking. So that is 3.3 #1 death. I rebuilt it using only the original bearings and backplate and crank. Then 2 months and 3 and a half gallons later I broke the crank shaft and backplate. Same engine but death #2. This is now death #3 but the piston sleeve is still good. I was just running the second tank of the night last night checking the tune since fixing my header. I had just hit second gear on a wide open pass and it sounded like it farted. Grabbed the temp gun and ran to it to find 222 degrees and what I thought was a giant hole blown out of the case. As you can see the case broke and the sleeve got pushed up out of the bottom of the case or what was left of it. I was not lean. It was really rich on the first tank so I leaned the hsn a tad and richened the lsn cause the idle was a bit high and the idle screw was not helping. Half way into the second tank and BOOM!

Now yes I have done many flips on the pavement but never landed square on th ehead or anything. I run a wing but I know it has hit the head many times when jumping offroad and stuff. Notice how many cooling fins are missing? Like I said I am hard on them but you know what? I got almost 5 gallons on my first engine beating the ever loving $HlT out of it and my P/S is still good! I am no tuning expert but I know what I am doing and I do my best to keep her in the correct operating ranges of smoke, temp and performance.

I may go with another 3.3 since it is so cheap but I don't know yet. Electric??? I don't think so. I know allot of you guys just put around and stuff. I really put this thing throught the ringer. I am like that with evertyhing I have. If it is weak I will find out. I have raced motocross for years and had go karts and I currently have a little off road buggy that I beat to hell too. My 1:1 cars have seen there share of abuse as well. My first car was a 91 Ford Festiva. I put a flow master muffler on it and used to get on two wheels driving on the highway with about 7 people in it. True story I swear! I used to take it off roading and jump hills with it. When I sold it it had a bent frame in two spots, both front hubs were chewed up from the bearings being shot and the shocks were blown out pretty bad. I got $600.00 for it. When I go ride the Harleys with my Dad he gets nervous sometimes cause I like to lock up the rear wheel and slide around corners on the street. I am a bit of a daredevil and always have been. I still have my 20 inch BMX bike and I am 30 years old. I have not ridden in about 2 years but 2 years ago I was still hitting downtown houston grinding rails and going to all the skate parks. I don't baby anything!!! If I get a toy I am going to see what it is made of. I can honestly say I have found most of the weak areas of the revo but it is a tough machine no doubt. I have found what it can and can't take as far as abuse.

I am not flaming anyone I promise. I am a hardcore basher by heart I guess so some of you will be like, OMG!!! You're going to break something STOP! Of course I don't WANT to break things but I don't want to put around either. I want to hear it fly by a long sweeping turn wide open or see it glide 30 feet long 10 feet in the air and correct the nose dive with a nice blip of the throttle and see that smoke shoot out in mid air. That's how I get my kicks and that is what I call fun. Running up and down the street is cool and trying to get as fast a lap as you can is really cool too but I like to go big. I need to spend some time on the track and see how fast i am.

Anyway that was a long one huh? Yeah that case had had it. I'm sure that engine is screaming for the knife! It wants me to let it die but i wont. I still have the old case with the hole in it. I bet I can paice it back together again and get it running what do you think? We will see.

later guys
Old 03-26-2008, 12:57 PM
slayerphonics

No the 3.3 is real, but not a very good engine, You don't see people seeking to buy a 3.3 as a replacement engine,
People seek OS as a replacement engine for the 3.3
Old 03-26-2008, 01:01 PM
Clymer122693

No the 3.3 is real, but not a very good engine, You don't see people seeking to buy a 3.3 as a replacement engine,
If it's not good then why do most racers run them including myself? I made the mistake (2 times) of buying a 18tm since everyone told me they were such good engines and I have had nothing but problems with them and have went back to my ol 3.3 and use the 18tm's as spares. The 18tm (common revo replacement engine) has a tad bit more low end then the 3.3 but the 3.3 has a much smoother power band. And it's not discontinued and easier to find parts for. And traxxas updated the bearings and head.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:16 PM
slayerphonics

ORIGINAL: Clymer122693

If it's not good then why do most racers run them including myself? I made the mistake (2 times) of buying a 18tm since everyone told me they were such good engines and I have had nothing but problems with them and have went back to my ol 3.3 and use the 18tm's as spares. The 18tm (common revo replacement engine) has a tad bit more low end then the 3.3 but the 3.3 has a much smoother power band. And it's not discontinued and easier to find parts for. And traxxas updated the bearings and head.
They must ship all the good 3.3s to your state.

Its the complete opposite scene here, nobody buys a 3.3 and only the new guys that just bought there revo have good things to say about the 3.3, until it blows in the first few gallons. Fish Killa is an example 3 motors under 5 gallons, OUCH! A good motor doesn't start to open up until a few gallons have been run through it.. not blow up.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:28 PM
Clymer122693

Not just the guys here but a few guys I know from OK and NE use the 3.3 also. The only problem I have encounterd with the 3.3 was the bearings. With the old bearings you changed em out every 2 gallons and you were set or replaced them with ceramics. No clue how long the new ones last. And some people dont like the composite carbs but you can replace them with a 11k carb and your good to go.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:31 PM
FISH KILLA

ORIGINAL: Clymer122693

They must ship all the good 3.3s to your state.

Its the complete opposite scene here, nobody buys a 3.3 and only the new guys that just bought there revo have good things to say about the 3.3, until it blows in the first few gallons. Fish Killa is an example 3 motors under 5 gallons, OUCH! A good motor doesn't start to open up until a few gallons have been run through it.. not blow up.

Not trying to get into you guys argument but thi sis the same piston and sleeve that I have had since the first rebuild. It has 4.5 gallons through it and is still good. But! I have had the backplate, crank case and crankshaft fail in those 4.5 gallons BUT! I run mine like a madman. That is 4.5 gallons in less than 2 months all wide open all the time. Is there another engine that could handle this better?

I think it is just starting to come alive
Old 03-26-2008, 01:31 PM
slayerphonics

Thats funny you say that about the bearings, because thats what killed my 3.3 in the first gallon. The bearings shattered into the motor.. bye bye motor
Old 03-26-2008, 01:42 PM
Clymer122693

Thats funny you say that about the bearings, because thats what killed my 3.3 in the first gallon. The bearings shattered into the motor.. bye bye motor
Yea thats usually the most common problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.