Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Did I toast my 3.3...?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 03:20 PM
envisa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I toast my 3.3...?

I've run the first half gallon and the engine has been doing well (100C-120C / 210F-250F).

But today I leaned it and was making some WOT passes when the fuel ran out. I went to see my Revo and discovered that white smoke was coming out of the engine head (from the glow plug region). I immediately checked the temperature and it was 170C / 335F !!! ("That's hot" as Paris Hilton would say....)
When making the after run procedure I saw that the glow plug was completely toasted and that the piston had a dark brown color.

So the question is: Did I toast my 3.3 engine? [sm=confused.gif][sm=confused.gif][sm=confused.gif]

a) If it is toasted, can I just change the piston and the sleeve or do I need to get a completely new engine?
b) If it is not toasted, should I do anything in special before running again or can it still run as nothing happened?

Man... I really love my Revo.... []
Old 03-26-2008, 03:31 PM
FISH KILLA

Default RE: Did I toast my 3.3...?

Hopefully you put the piston at bottom dead center to cool when that happened. I think you will be okay cause spec t ran his to 350 one time and it is still running fine after that happened.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:31 PM
acexxxoasis
My Feedback: (4)

you might not have completely toasted it but richen it up at least 1/4 turn then try it again and the engine will lean out at the end of a tank nature of the beast. but you probably did not "Toast it" you may have taken some life out of it though.

Oh yeah if anyone knows how to toast an engine its Fish Killa
Old 03-26-2008, 03:49 PM
envisa

Hmmm... When I did the after-run procedure I put the piston at BDC but that was like 2-3 minutes after reading 335F.

It sounds from your comments (FISH KILLA, acexxxoasis) that the engine still should be doing okay. Fantastic! I just thought that the engine's soul was flying to Revo-heaven as the white smoke was coming out the engine head....

I'll rich it the next time and see how it goes.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:48 PM
NitroVenom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It should be ok as long as it still has compression. You might want to richen it a little more then just a 1/4 turn..
Old 03-26-2008, 05:26 PM
acexxxoasis
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: acexxxoasis

you might not have completely toasted it but richen it up at least 1/4 turn then try it again and the engine will lean out at the end of a tank nature of the beast. but you probably did not "Toast it" you may have taken some life out of it though.

Oh yeah if anyone knows how to toast an engine its Fish Killa
notice what I highlighted in my post he said the tank was out of fuel it was past the 1/2 tank lean (which gets on my nerves because everytime I start getting a good tune it leans out) so AT LEAST 1/4 turn (that usually throws my tune way off)

EDIT
also you dont know what type of tuner he is if hes basic tuner he could take that way to wrong and be like me and give up on tuning for a while.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:24 PM
[email protected]

also that might indicate a loose plug like mine was just a lil loose and fuel was sizzling on head causing white smoke.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:44 PM
youwish16

ive gotten my nitro stampede to about 330-340 before lol that was about 2 months ago. i let it cool and then ran it again, on the rich side, and it runs good and still runs good today
Old 03-26-2008, 09:50 PM
Danju

ORIGINAL: envisa

("That's hot" as Paris Hilton would say....)
..Ron Paris would also say that [sm=lol.gif]
Old 03-27-2008, 02:40 AM
envisa

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

also that might indicate a loose plug like mine was just a lil loose and fuel was sizzling on head causing white smoke.
It's funny. Now that you say it I remember in one ocasion (a few days ago) that a bit of white smoke was coming out from the engine head. I thought it was the WD-40 from the last after-run procedure which was evaporating. But the plug was probably loose.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:14 AM
125cchyperman

if the plug is loose then it will cause a lean condition causing the temps to raise. But that will happen through out the whole time you are running the engine. Not just the last few secounds of running the engine until it runs out of fuel. With temps that high it could have been the glow plug, but if it wasnt doing it before you leaned it out then thats prolly not the cause of the white smoke.

But as others have said your fine for now, you deffinately took some life off of it, but how much life you took of it is not known. It may last for a just a few more tanks or it may run for a few more gallons. But I have seen temps get as high as 375 and the engine still being able to be run after wards, but I would try and stay under that 270f mark for now on.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:54 AM
matts6887

It should still be ok as long as the engine stiill has compression, and as long as it still has some pinch left to it. If however, the engine dies quite frequently while warm, thats usually a sign that the piston and sleeve are on the way out, but could still be salvagable for a few more tanks so long as u havent totally toasted it.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:58 AM
envisa

ORIGINAL: 125cchyperman
...if it wasnt doing it before you leaned it out then thats prolly not the cause of the white smoke.
I only observed white smoke coming out when I ran out of Nitro. Before that I ran like 3-4 tanks and don't remember to see white smoke.
I'll try from now on to be good and keep the engine below 270F...... I don't promise but I'll try...
Old 03-27-2008, 12:11 PM
matts6887

Indeed u are definately at times much better off keeping it a tad on the "boggier" side of running to the point that its rich rich to protect the engine because u also have to remember the fact that the fuel is what also has the lubrication content in it...