Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.
View Poll Results: A poll
TMaxx 3.3
25.42%
Revo 3.3
55.93%
Savage
18.64%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

First Nitro Truck should be?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 01:35 PM
Trebormojo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Nitro Truck should be?

I am going to buy a Nitro truck. This will be my first one and money IS a factor. I don't want to spend too much, but want a good truck that will last a while and get me into the hobby. So far I've looked at the Savage, the TMaxx 3.3 and the Revo 3.3. My favorite so far is the TMaxx because of the price, but some say it isn't durable. I don't want to break it all the time, but I don't want to spend too much.

I want to run it on trails, fields, homemade tracks, maybe even on pavement sometimes. How high can I expect to jump and not break each of them? Can you even jump them without fear of breaking them?

My question is what would you recommend? I want to be able to upgrade and have fun. Maybe later buy something better. Is the TMaxx for me? Should I buck up the extra cash for the Revo?

Is there another truck that would better suit me? Should I get even a cheaper one?
Old 03-27-2008, 01:52 PM
Mz

Default RE: First Nitro Truck should be?

t-maxx 2.5
your first nitro truck shouldn't have a powerful/expensive engine in it.
with a couple of parts the t-maxx is a great basher.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:57 PM
Fecal Freddy

I had (and still have) an Associated RC10GT2 as my first nitro. That thing has been tough and is still going strong, even after my brother nailed my Monster MT and cracked fins off of the cooling head and totally destroyed the front and rear suspension!

Runs well, very reliable engine, light, durable, and it should be cheaper than those trucks you're looking at. Only thing is it's a 2 wheel drive stadium truck, versus the 4 wheel drive monster trucks you're looking at.

If you do get one, make sure you take the carb restrictor out and, if you're not going to race, remove that peice of plastic from inside the fuel tank.

I also just recently bought a Robitronic BR50. It's a 1/8 scale 4wd nitro truck that looks like a scale desert truck. That thing's a blast to drive and I can't seem to break anything on it.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:59 PM
Clymer122693

My first nitro was a revo 3.3.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:04 PM
phattracker
My Feedback: (1)

I would say the HPI savage. A-main is giving them away basically. I own a race track, off-road style, and several of my buddies run Savages. We often joke that my friend D shows up to race with his savage with nothing more that the starter, igniter, fuel, and radio. He wins often and always leaves with nothing broken. I would say that the T-maxx is nothing compared to the savage. Savage all the way.

JAMMIN X-1 CRT, LOSI XXX-NT, TRAXXAS RUSTLER, BIG TRACK.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:09 PM
phattracker

And as far as jumping. If your new to it, you are more than likely gonna break something. Thats just how it is. It could be very minor, or a major headache. Just don't get discouraged, SNAP HAPPENS.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:15 PM
Trebormojo

I'm sure I'll be on here alot if I break anything! For the person that said the Savage, this one? HPI 1/8 Savage X 4.6 Big Block RTR Monster Truck

I'm 29 btw so I think I am somewhat responsible It seems the both the Savage and the TMaxx 3.3 are about the same price 400-430 or so. Anything else you get with the kits that makes one better than the other?

I'm going to the local hobby shop tonight to see what they have. I thought about the 2.5, but the price difference is neglible really (less than 100 bucks)

What parts should I keep a handy supply of?

What mods are something I should go for asap? I was thinking the metal shock heads (i think thats what they called)
Old 03-27-2008, 02:17 PM
Fecal Freddy

RPM arms!
Old 03-27-2008, 02:22 PM
phattracker

RPM ARMS. Nobody implied you were irresponsible. Just exactally what I said. SNAP HAPPENS.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:25 PM
Trebormojo

ORIGINAL: phattracker

RPM ARMS. Nobody implied you were irresponsible. Just exactally what I said. SNAP HAPPENS.
I apologize, didn't mean to say it like that. I was just rereading my post and other ones and I sounded like a little kid! watching all these videos and reading about it makes me feel like one though!

RPM arms. k
Old 03-27-2008, 02:35 PM
phattracker

Its cool man, I think there is a kid in all of us, just look at the toys we dream about. I love RC and the people I meet on a weekly basis at the track are some of the best people I know. I really hope it is everything you hope it is. Good luck at the LHS tonite.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:45 PM
slayerphonics

I voted savage, its 1/8 scale.. revo and tmax are 1/10
savage has a better motor,
and is very tough,
and easier to work on
Old 03-27-2008, 03:16 PM
Trebormojo

Thanks all. I checked out the Savage and it looks like the cage/frame is built way tougher than the TMaxx. The arms that go out to the wheels look weaker structurally (who am I to know tho) than the TMaxx, but I'm more impressed with the Savage on the whole. I hope they have one of them at the shop tonight because I'm buying it!
Old 03-27-2008, 03:19 PM
Clymer122693

ORIGINAL: slayerphonics

I voted savage, its 1/8 scale.. revo and tmax are 1/10
savage has a better motor,
and is very tough,
and easier to work on
Revo is classed as a 1/10th but it's a inbetween scale just like the savage.
3.3 is a good motor if you know what your doing.
Revo is tough.
Wayyyyyy easier to work on.

If ya want the revo to sit high like the savage then here ya go

The revo has more ground clearence and go just abuot anywhere weather it's the track,bashing or a lil crawling. Both Trucks are nice and have their pro's and con's and you can't go wrong with either.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:25 PM
Beasley1

Revo has endless upgrades you can get for it. I have about $1800-$2000 in mine and there is still upgrading I havent got around to yet.

Not that you have to spend that much $$$, I did and am spending more just cause I love it!
Old 03-27-2008, 03:35 PM
Trebormojo

I guess here's a good question, if I get the Savage (it is within my budget more than Revo) will I regret it later and want to upgrade to the Revo?
Old 03-27-2008, 03:37 PM
RCCanuck

the savage is def tougher than the Tmaxx or the Revo.....having said that out of the box the Tmaxx and revo are far more agile and nimble on any track or surface than the savage.....As far as ease of use i would say the Traxxas products are about the easiest even for a 29 yr old newbie....the Savage is a bear to work on and personally I have a love/hate relationship with mine....I love to play with it but I hate working on it.....Both the Tmaxx and the Revo are super easy to work on....all 3 trucks require about the same amount of skills to operate properly....whatever you get read the directions then read them again...keep them handy for referrence.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:37 PM
FISH KILLA

Revo for the win!!! The savage is harder to work on than the revo and handles way worse than the revo. The speeds these things are capable of you want a good handling truck. revo is what I would get if I did it over again. Very tuff, fast and unlimited mods. I have put mine through hell for two months now 5 gallons and have only boke a few weak items. Only stock up on glow plugs maybe 2 or 3. Upgrade as things break. The stock parts are very durable on all trucks so wait til it breaks before blowing cash with out reason. I would invest in aluminum hexes for the wheels and be sure to locktite the wheel nuts. Once the hexes start to slip your whole wheel is done and the tire too since it is glued.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:43 PM
RCCanuck

ORIGINAL: Trebormojo

I guess here's a good question, if I get the Savage (it is within my budget more than Revo) will I regret it later and want to upgrade to the Revo?
that is a question only you can answer my man.....you will find people who will tell you to buy whatever they have just because they like it....
whatever you get be prepared for some learning and some wrenching cause no matter what you get they all break and need maintenace...as far as upgrading there are enough upgrade/aftermarket parts available for all 3 vehicles to keep it interesting for a long time...enjoy
Old 03-27-2008, 03:45 PM
FISH KILLA

^^^completely correct. You will have fun with whatever you get and they all break sometimes. You will be working on whatever you get.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:45 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

The revo is more suited for racing at a track than either of the other 2 trucks are. Id say the savage is probably the best basher, but the T-Maxx is not bad either, so it is all in what you want to do with the truck. The T-Maxx is easier to work on than the savage from what i hear, but im sure any of the 3 trucks would be fine. One nice thing about the traxxas trucks is the electric start with the glow plug heater built in. Dont have to carry one around with you that way. If I were buying one im not sure which it would be, but I think i would lean towards the savage. Another thing that really matters is what trucks your hobby shop carries the most parts for too. Its important that they can get you parts since you will break stuff no matter which truck you get.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:32 PM
sloppyG

traxxas parts are way easier to come by than HPI stuff, more stock at the LHS and online

this is because traxxas sells so many more RC's that more places stock parts for them

I'm sure the savage is great, and i'd choose it over the t-maxx in a second, but the revo is the winner here out of the 3

especially as a first nitro, the traxxas DVD and instructions are a big help in learning how to get the thing running right

I had a hotbodies RC (owned by hpi) and the manual wasn't very helpful compared to what I was used to from traxxas
Old 03-27-2008, 09:44 PM
energizer2022

First I would like to say That I own a 2.5 Tmaxx and think that a 3.3 Tmaxx is even better, there is definetly a diff between the two. Secondly I drive the holy crap out of my tmaxx and am currently starting my fourth gallon, and (knock on wood) have had no issues with it except for that one time I ripped the whole right front end off with a tree root I didnt see. I will say that the 2.5 is a b1tc4 to tune sometimes but it has never stopped me from having fun.

Now, My buddy has all of Traxxas's new stuff and I will say that the Revo is BAD***** It smokes the tmaxx....seems to be a hell of alot tougher. As far as performance, from what I have seen the Revo STOMPS the Savage. I do agree however that the Savage is built like a rock, there and again things built like a rock don't interest me (Ford).

My Tmaxx was broken in when it was 0 degrees Fahrenheit out and it still runs like a champ. I have flipped it on its lid without the body on a hundred times and everything is good. I honestly think that if you do the after run stuff and clean your airfilter and do a periodic check of tight screws then your good. These things are just like Cars and require maintenance.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:53 PM
maxxin2.5

if your worried about the arms on the savage then get the upgraded ones because my friend never broke them once he got those...or maybe that was his revo...idk...
Old 03-27-2008, 11:35 PM
Mspeed

I started with a Savage X and happy for a while, but soon I figured out that for me the better it handles and the faster it goes the more fun it is. The Savage is a tough truck, but still has its weak points just like all the trucks. HPI has fixed most of the weak points that I did not like about the older Savage X, but still for me the handling and speed potential of the revo wins hands down. The Revo has its weak points, but has impressed me with how tough it is. I would scratch the T-Maxx off your list unless you really cant spend enough to get a Savage or a Revo. The Maxx has a lot of serious issues with breaking bulk heads due to its chassis design and does not offer the handling benifits of the Revo. The Revo is a all around Great MT, it can be adjusted for serious off roading or all out racing. I find the revo easier to work on than the savage, and for a beginnner, Traxxas has done a great job on the instructions, dvd, and ez start system to get anyone off to a good start.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.