Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

What to buy ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 12:19 AM
hdoldfart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to buy ?

Ok guys - here's your chance. I have finally decided to pull the trigger on this wasteful hobby. I've been looking at it since my grown, married son tried to talk me into an electric RC10. We settled on a cheapo electric (Radio Shack) and that seemed to take care of him. Now I'm going to blow some money. I want to go NITRO. I'm confused tho'- - do I want a buggy, truggy (what ever that is), stadium truck or Monster Truck. All the videos I've seen look like a lot of fun. The Traxxas website is really slick and THEY are practically in my back yard so support shouldn't be a problem. There's cheaper stuff on EBAY but I dunno - What am I getting myself into if I go that way ?

Basically, I would like as many of you as possible to help me make my decision as to model,type, manufacturer, best buy, etc.

I don't plan on competition, I just want to bash around a little on my own. I guess I really don't know what I want and I need a lot of help. I'd like to stay below $500 (initially, of course) I would like something that will take some abuse and not be a throw-away one time use purchase. The only thing I've actually looked at first hand is one of the new TRAXXAS Monsters - I think it was a REVO or T-Maxx.

SELL ME - I need your help and expertise.

Thanx
Old 04-03-2008, 12:49 AM
Mspeed

Default RE: What to buy ?

The Monster trucks can take the rough stuff with higher ground clearance and more weight. The E-maxx is electric, if your looking for a nitro then the revo is a good starter, I have not grown board of mine yet
Old 04-03-2008, 08:12 AM
HILLFINGER

Traxxas Revo All The Way.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:52 PM
slurp91193

let me tell u wat i went wit the t maxx 2.5 as my first 2 months ago and ilove it .......... i wuld reccomend getting the 3.3 though u will be happy wit the power......... im gonna put one in my truck in 2 weeks
Old 04-03-2008, 07:18 PM
NitroVenom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a lot of choices out there so I personally think you should go look around in person as compared to over the internet. Because what you may think looks great and is constantly bragged about online, might not be your favorite choice. Yea and you don't whant to buy from ebay unless its a name brand truck that is new in the box. Here is a list that you should go to your LHS(Local Hobby Store) and take a look for yourself. There are diffrent scales and sizes when it comes to these trucks. Traxxas only offers 1/10 scale so they only weigh around 9.5 lbs and they all have smallblock motors. Once you get into larger scales(1/8), now your talking 11-13lbs monsters that use big block motors. They all on average have the same top speed out of the box which is around 40-45mph. Also when your looking into the trucks, look into what type of starter each one uses and what it will require to get it running. Here's the list of trucks worth looking at.

Losi 8ight-T(truggy and a little out of your price range)
Losi LST2(1/8 scale and HUGE!)
Losi Muggy(HUGE truggy)
Traxxas Revo 3.3
Traxxas T-maxx
Team Associated MGT
HPI Savage X
HPI savage X 4.6
HPI Hellfire(truggy)

Truggy= buggy+truck.. basically.
Here's my revo: Not stock
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32193.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	921023  
Old 04-03-2008, 07:57 PM
matts6887

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Mspeed

The Monster trucks can take the rough stuff with higher ground clearance and more weight. The E-maxx is electric, if your looking for a nitro then the revo is a good starter, I have not grown board of mine yet
I 2nd this notion from Mspeed; I myself have a REVO and LOVE IT!!! It is one heck of a tough truck; It can take a beating and still come back for more. But then again some of the electrics they have out these days are pretty quick and can very easily keep up with some(not all, but some) of the nitros out there....Just my thoughts is all. Also, if and when u have the time, go to a hobby shop that not only carries traxxas, but carries a number of other brands out there as well, go and compare for yourself and see if u might see or find something u might like. As for buying one; i personally would much rather support the lhs than ebay even though ebay a lot of times can be less $$. Still though when u buy through the lhs, u usually will have the support of the people that work there when u need them if u ever need assistance, or other things such as fuel, parts, etc