Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

trx 2.5 engine trouble maybe??

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 06:26 PM
trnt_west

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trx 2.5 engine trouble maybe??

ok ive had my truck since christmas and i have some experience in nitro engines but im not sure about this. and yes so you know i did do the break in process correctly and by traxxas specifications. but i had some troubles, on the third tank of break in my engine ran good for half a tank and then it got really sluggish and then died. i looked at the engine and a small stream of smoke was rising off the cooling head and my glow plug was shot. later that day i replaced the glow plug and the engine started up fine. i finished the break in with no problems and continued to run the truck. i now have about half a gallon through the engine and the other day i thought id take the cooling head off to take a look at the sleve and piston. i was left to see that the head of the piston was black and so was the bottom of the cooling head. so my question is... is there anything wrong with my engine? maybe its to lean but i have the hsn out 4 and a half turns and the lsn flush with the thing just like the manual says. any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 04-06-2008, 06:40 PM
HILLFINGER

Default RE: trx 2.5 engine trouble maybe??

ORIGINAL: trnt_west

ok ive had my truck since christmas and i have some experience in nitro engines but im not sure about this. and yes so you know i did do the break in process correctly and by traxxas specifications. but i had some troubles, on the third tank of break in my engine ran good for half a tank and then it got really sluggish and then died. i looked at the engine and a small stream of smoke was rising off the cooling head and my glow plug was shot. later that day i replaced the glow plug and the engine started up fine. i finished the break in with no problems and continued to run the truck. i now have about half a gallon through the engine and the other day i thought id take the cooling head off to take a look at the sleve and piston. i was left to see that the head of the piston was black and so was the bottom of the cooling head. so my question is... is there anything wrong with my engine? maybe its to lean but i have the hsn out 4 and a half turns and the lsn flush with the thing just like the manual says. any help would be greatly appreciated

Do you run it at the factory settings all that time ? Sounds as if you have been running it lean.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:43 PM
trnt_west

yea ive always had the hsn at 4 turns out.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:49 PM
RCCanuck

thats why its black....that generally indicates a constant rich condition...and or the fuel you use which is probably traxxas top fuel right?
Old 04-06-2008, 07:10 PM
trnt_west

nah i use byrons 20%, so does that mean everything is ok and nothing is wrong?
Old 04-06-2008, 08:19 PM
matts6887

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More than likely what u are seeing is just excess fuel residue that hasn't been burned up yet. I doubt that it is too lean imo because of the fact that it was set at factory settings which are usually almost always blubbery rich to start out with....
Old 04-07-2008, 06:36 PM
HILLFINGER

Hard to say if it has been run lean or not but if it has been run at the factory needle settings it is very possible since trnt_west lives in TN and it does get fairly cold there in the winter. Most engines will run leaner in cold weather, well this has been my experience and I think most will agree that RC Nitro engines need to be run richer in the winter.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:51 PM
Nighthawk z450

i agree with hillfinger, sounds like it got hot.

from what you described happened while running it was overheated.

these engines need more fuel in colder temps, usaly more then the factory starting point.
do you have a temp gauge? if not i would reccomend getting one.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:50 PM
trnt_west

nah, i dont have a temp gauge but i plan on buying one, and i have considered upgrading to the 3.3 because i have read alot that the trx 2.5 overheats pretty easily. if i do upgrade to the 3.3 what else should i get to handle the boost in power. like what im asking is there any weak spot in the driveline that the 3.3 can shred right through?
Old 04-07-2008, 09:00 PM
Nighthawk z450

ORIGINAL: trnt_west

nah, i dont have a temp gauge but i plan on buying one, and i have considered upgrading to the 3.3 because i have read alot that the trx 2.5 overheats pretty easily. if i do upgrade to the 3.3 what else should i get to handle the boost in power. like what im asking is there any weak spot in the driveline that the 3.3 can shred right through?
i have had (and still have one) 2.5, when sealed and tuned right there very reliable engines.

you have a 2.5tmaxx? i would imagine it would be ok with a 3.3. unless it's the older version.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:08 PM
trnt_west

yup i got the tmaxx 2.5 and i just got it for christmas so im pretty sure its the newer version. but one question? you said when sealed right? what do you mean by that and how can i make sure mine is sealed right?