Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

T-Maxx's

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 12:19 PM
Mambamonster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-Maxx's

Hey I'm a newb in the nitro class and I'm getting my 2.5 T-Maxx pretty soon and just want to know how are they on tuning wise and just overall? I have a E-Maxx so I know little about the durability but just wanted to get some feedback from some of you guys.

Thanks.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:33 PM
racemaxx24

Default RE: T-Maxx's

I don't have the 2.5 but I do have the 1.5 and I love it. Easy to tune and very durable.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:40 PM
cmerritt

i have the 2.5 . for me it was my 1st nitro truck and was extremely easy to tune and it also kept a tune pretty well. great engine.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:48 PM
ENZO7
Banned

ORIGINAL: cmerritt

i have the 2.5 . for me it was my 1st nitro truck and was extremely easy to tune and it also kept a tune pretty well. great engine.
I don't find that at all... if the weather changes 5 degrees I have to completely re-tune and I find that it does not hold a tune very well. My engine will act different if the sun goes from 5 o'clock to 5:30... I hate that part of it... But once you get it right it flies!!
Old 04-08-2008, 07:56 PM
Nighthawk z450

i have had 2 2.5's and when sealed and tuned right, there very reliable, and easy to tune.

do a search to seal the engine up. seal it up before tuning. you'll be good to go!
Old 04-08-2008, 08:05 PM
cmerritt

ORIGINAL: ENZO7

ORIGINAL: cmerritt

I don't find that at all... if the weather changes 5 degrees I have to completely re-tune and I find that it does not hold a tune very well. My engine will act different if the sun goes from 5 o'clock to 5:30... I hate that part of it... But once you get it right it flies!!
maybe you just had bad luck with yours. but i agree with you completely when you say that when the tuning is right, they fly!
Old 04-08-2008, 08:34 PM
Mambamonster

What fuel do you guys usually use Trinity, Traxxas, O'donnel?
Old 04-09-2008, 12:18 AM
systemlord

I don't see how people tune any engine with Traxxas Top Fuel, its horrible stuff compared to Trinity and O'donnel. I wouldn't use Top Fuel if someone paid me to use it! Going from Traxxas Top Fuel to Trinity's Monster Fuel 20% nitro, 12% castor oil not only made tuning easier but the engine just runs much better than Traxxas oily fuel.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:47 AM
Mambamonster

My friend had a quart of Top Fuel and he said he is never using that stuff again so I planned to use Trinity or O'donnel.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:52 AM
matts6887

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is kinda odd because ive been using top fuel from the start of owning my 3.3 and Ive never had a problem with it. I dunno; maybe there was a bad batch of the stuff out there possibly at some point or anotther???
Old 04-09-2008, 11:58 AM
Mambamonster

Well I don't really know since I have never use Traxxas top fuel but from what I have heard compared to Trinity and O'donnel its not the greatest stuff.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:28 PM
HpiDrifter420

traxxas top fuel is ok in a pinch. i prefer byrons and odonnells over traxxas. if anyone lives near me a have a 90% full gallon of traxxas top fuel that they can have. i stopped using it when i replaced my 2.5 with an OS.18tm
Old 04-09-2008, 02:57 PM
systemlord

ORIGINAL: matts6887

That is kinda odd because ive been using top fuel from the start of owning my 3.3 and Ive never had a problem with it. I dunno; maybe there was a bad batch of the stuff out there possibly at some point or anotther???
You won't know how bad Top Fuel is until you try using either Trinity or O'donnel, then you'll see the difference! Its not so much that Top Fuel is bad its that Trinity is Soo much better that after using Trinity you'll see how much better it is compared to Top Fuel.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:21 PM
Mambamonster

What engines do you guys use I am planning to install a picco .26 when I start racing. Is this too big or do you prefer something a little more smaller.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:59 PM
rexdriver85

ORIGINAL: systemlord

I don't see how people tune any engine with Traxxas Top Fuel, its horrible stuff compared to Trinity and O'donnel. I wouldn't use Top Fuel if someone paid me to use it! Going from Traxxas Top Fuel to Trinity's Monster Fuel 20% nitro, 12% castor oil not only made tuning easier but the engine just runs much better than Traxxas oily fuel.
that's spot on, i just made the exact same post in the stadium truck forum. i broke in my OS18 with the trx fuel and after 5 tanks switched to trinity monster horsepower 20% and and smell was better, tuning was way easier and the thing came alive, i mean it's a beast now.

the only think trx fuel is good for is breaking in engines due to the high oil content, other than that switch to a better blended fuel, just my personal opinion for you
Old 04-09-2008, 05:05 PM
NStampede Freak

ORIGINAL: MERCEDESTURBO

What engines do you guys use I am planning to install a picco .26 when I start racing. Is this too big or do you prefer something a little more smaller.
Yeah, too big for a 2.5 maxx. I would just drop in a 3.3. Drops right in with no mods.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:11 PM
Mambamonster

Thats not what I heard another dude said he put in a Picco .26 engine in his 2.5 T-Maxx and it work fine. Plus I don't see the point to go with a engine like the 3.3 thats a little more powerful than the 2.5 that costs $155. Instead id rather pay $30 bucks more for the Picco .26 because its a lot more powerful than a 3.3 and it is well worth it.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:17 PM
NStampede Freak

Thats not what I heard another dude said he put in a Picco .26 engine in his 2.5 T-Maxx and it work fine. Plus I don't see the point to go with a engine like the 3.3 thats a little more powerful than the 2.5 that costs $155. Instead id rather pay $30 bucks more for the Picco .26 because its a lot more powerful than a 3.3 and it is well worth it.
The 3.3 is only $110. I dunno where you get $155 from.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:22 PM
Mambamonster

Take a look right here buddy.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXMHR3&P=ML
Old 04-09-2008, 05:31 PM
NStampede Freak

Take a look here:
[link]http://www.traxxas.com/products/nitro/erp/trx_erp_pop.htm[/link]
You can trade in your 2.5.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:38 PM
racemaxx24

155.00 is if u buy a 3.3 with out trading. If u trade in the 2.5 to get the 3.3, its only 110.00. Its from the Traxxas engine replacement plan
Old 04-09-2008, 06:34 PM
systemlord

ORIGINAL: rexdriver85

that's spot on, i just made the exact same post in the stadium truck forum. i broke in my OS18 with the trx fuel and after 5 tanks switched to trinity monster horsepower 20% and and smell was better, tuning was way easier and the thing came alive, i mean it's a beast now.

the only think trx fuel is good for is breaking in engines due to the high oil content, other than that switch to a better blended fuel, just my personal opinion for you
This was my experience also when I switched fuels, the motor came alive and just ran smoother! You can't blame those who haven't tried something better than Top Fuel, they don't know any better.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:43 PM
matts6887

ORIGINAL: matts6887

You won't know how bad Top Fuel is until you try using either Trinity or O'donnel, then you'll see the difference! Its not so much that Top Fuel is bad its that Trinity is Soo much better that after using Trinity you'll see how much better it is compared to Top Fuel.

Well its a little too late for that now as Ive got another un-opened gallon of it just waiting for me to pop the top on it; It works for me so maybe next round of fuel I will go for something different just to compare, but for now I have to stick with what I have
Old 04-09-2008, 07:15 PM
Mambamonster

Well I just ordered Trinity 20% quart of fuel today so I am curious how it will run.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:26 PM
systemlord

Well I just ordered Trinity 20% quart of fuel today so I am curious how it will run.
Just to let you know Trinity sells three grades of nitro, 20% nitro 10% castor oil for (racing only) lubrication, then same nitro with 12% and 18% castor oil. The more oil content you have the less power you make, so for racing 10% castor oil is the norm. For me I'm hungry for power so I use 12% castor oil, yes I know if I used 18% oil my engine would last longer. MERCEDESTURBO, the forth of July is almost here you could...