Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Honest question starting out

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 03:54 AM
alucard214

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honest question starting out

I just started to get into RC with airsoft tanks But im looking into getting in some of the bigger faster stuff... So I'm wondering what would be the best Truck for me to start out with I was looking at the T maxx. Also which online site is the best to find these at a good price I'm in the US. Thank you
Old 04-09-2008, 04:12 AM
xtremes15

Default RE: Honest question starting out

have you decided electric or NITRO ????
that is what i started out on (t-maxx 3.3) and still love it [8D], it is easy to work on , cheaper to buy, and fun .
alot of poeple will try to steer you in the direction of a revo here ,they are good trucks, i have one too, but get what you want......
the t-maxx will hurt the wallet, been there still doining it now
i deal with rcplanet.com-- towerhobbies.com--amainhobbies.com--and fleabay too
i got the revo of mine used for a helluva deal $150 try looking around for some used trucks too !!
Old 04-09-2008, 04:19 AM
alucard214

is there much difference in speed between nitro and electric and does the Tmaxx come in electric
Old 04-09-2008, 04:35 AM
alexei111

electric is usually a bit slower than nitro (with the exception of brushless)but still fun,there is an electric t-maxx out there its called the E-maxx which Traxxas has released (2nd version).
Old 04-09-2008, 05:29 PM
Mambamonster

Well for your own good If your just starting out in the fast lane. I would not recommend a nitro if thats what your considering. My point is because if your unexperiance with one you could have a huge money pit for fixing and repairing it. I started out with a E-Maxx and I absolutely loved it and now I am getting a T-Maxx. If you really think you can handle a Nitro I would strongly suggest that you do lots of research and learn how to properly tune and repair it. Good luck.[8D]
Old 04-09-2008, 06:15 PM
ENZO7
Banned

I started with a nitro, I did a lot of research first, but I still learn as I go, I have had my T-Maxx for like 3 months... Great truck!
Old 04-09-2008, 06:19 PM
cmerritt

if your gonna go nitro. i would recommend a tmaxx. it's easy to work on and reliable. great beginner truck. i started with one and still have it 2 years later. i also just bought another one.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:33 PM
matts6887

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say go with a REVO for a truck. EXTREMELY durable and tough truck and a very good way to get started in the hobby imo. I have one and if I had the $ for it would consider getting a 2nd one just because they are extremely durable, etc[8D]
Old 04-09-2008, 08:43 PM
MIKEA46996

Ok guys start flaming me now... I have two Maxxs and love them dearly... One was my first nitro... But in all honesty I would recommend the RC10GT2 RS RTR as a first. It is pull start, so much easier to tune then the traxxas and it will make a noob learn how to drive. It got me back into the hobby after the .15 maxx sat for years. then the bug bit me and I went nuts on the maxx, bought another one went nuts on it, and now bought a revo... I love them but I think a noob would be better off with the AE. sorry just my opinion.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:06 PM
RC 01 KID

Why do people say to start out with electric? I dont see how having an electric can prepare you for nitro. I mean nitro and electric are pretty much like apples to oranges. You can eat an apple but it isnt really going to prepare you for an orange...(Ok so maybe not the best analogy but oh well) The only thing that getting an electric for that i can see would be for working on, and heck theres plenty of diagrams and info out there for you. Plus theres a bunch of guys on here that know more about these things then you would ever imagine so if you do get stuck just post it here...

As for which truck to get idk do some research check local hobby shops for parts availability, and decide what your going to do with the truck and how much money you plan on spending, not just to buy the truck but budget in some money for repairs, gas, ect.....

Just my thoughts....
Old 04-09-2008, 09:23 PM
jsflagstad

I don't want to start a flame war here either but here are my thoughts based on experience.

3 weeks ago my 13 year old son got a new Tmaxx 3.3. It IS quite a truck in some respects, it is quick as heck and has tons of power but I have nicknamed it "The Nitro Grahm Cracker". I have replaced so many parts on this thing since he's had it (Drive shafts, bumpers, skids 2x, chassis braces, spur gear, fuel tank, motor mount, front bulkhead) and now it's on the bench again with another broken drive shaft. Most of the proken parts on this truck have been the product of some minor crashes such as getting out of shape in a wheelie and going into a cart wheel, it took out the rear drive shaft and the chassis braces landing a jump from 3 feet in the air.

The engine runs well and is probably the best asset of the truck, the shocks after 3 weeks seem to already need rebuilding. IMHO I would not buy another one. I always wondered what they were like, and now I know. Really with all trucks, you will have to deal with broken parts just some trucks more than others.

I have a buddy that has a Revo 2.5R that has been to hell and back and still works well and has been pretty reliable. I have had a Savage for 4 years and have only replaced brakes and a servo to date.

Again, not looking for a flame war here just wanted to post my personal observations and experiences. Get what you like, sooner or later then will all need work. Working on them can be fun as well and passes the rainy day time well. My sons truck however has been a bit excessive though and I wish he were as good at fixing it as he were at breaking it.

JSF

Old 04-09-2008, 09:28 PM
Mspeed

I agree with RC01kid, I think you should decide if you want nitro or electric first and then decide what kind of nitro or electric to get. If you want a nitro and end up getting a electric to try and prepare yourself for it, you might end up getting board of the electric right away, plus, you will still have to learn from scratch how to tune and work on a nitro motor. If you end up wanted a nitro, just get it right from the start. If top speed is really important for you, the nitros are fast; however, electric technology has got to the point of being extremely fast, just look at the Traxxas VXL electric stuff like the Rustler 70 mph with the right battery. If you decide to get the T-maxx, I would look at the new version that just came out. I know it doesnt have reverse; however, its more durable and a bit cheaper. I guess if you find a really good deal on the older 3.3 T-maxx you could look into it.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:30 PM
alucard214

I'm Rather liking that RC10GT2 RS So I may just get one of those for now to smooth me into things hell of alot cheaper overall to over traxxas leaves room for upgrades fuel and whatever else I need.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:31 PM
Mspeed

You still got the original motor in that savage jsflagstad
Old 04-09-2008, 09:32 PM
Mambamonster

I'm sorry but saying a apple isn't going to prepare you for a orange is the dumbest analogie I have ever heard. The reason electrics are better off for beginners is because their more affordable and less difficult to keep up. In all fairness I find it that you really have not had much experiance with nitros. I have both so I know what I am talking about and its just common sense that if you want to go with a nitro first you better at least know what your doing. Electrics are pretty self explain just charge the battery plug it in and your ready to go. Where as a Nitro you have to dank around with it for a few minutes making sure that its not too lean or too rich or else you could ruin your engine. I am not trying to brainwash anybodys opinions but I do think its stupid to talk a new beginner into buying a nitro when they have not even made any decision yet.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:33 PM
Mspeed

what do you want out of it alucard? are you looking for something really fast or to race or just general bashing?
Old 04-09-2008, 09:47 PM
jsflagstad

Mspeed,

The original .25 in my Savage still runs, but the boy whooped me with his 3.3 so I stepped up to an OS Max engine (As I said that Tmaxx is fast) I pulled the 25 apart to clean it up and it still looked pretty good but had a bit of noticeable wear on the rotostart mechanism but nothing looked to be leaking so I slapped it back together and I am saving it for a spare if I ever need it. I have about 1 1/2 gallons through the new engine, and actually I am surprised with the added power I haven't broke any parts yet in my aging truck, but I'm sure it will happen. If I had to guess, I'd say that the 25 has around 6 gallons through it to date. I guess that is quite a bit from what I hear.

JSF
Old 04-09-2008, 10:00 PM
Mspeed

I never had any real issues with my savage x till I upgraded the motor to the axial .32. That think would fly with the axial and tore up the motor plate left and right. I finially got sick of replacing motor plates and some other issues I had and ended up getting a revo. Glad to hear you like yours. Sorry about the T-maxx, I know the newer T-maxx suppose to address some of those driveline issues and some of the other durability problems. I have been real happy with my revo.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:32 PM
Clymer122693

I started out with a nitro. I knew hardly anything about rc's other then helping my buddy work on his 18mt from time to time. I jumped in head first with my revo,traxxas provides you with alot of helpful information and has very very good customer service if you have any issues.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:55 PM
alucard214

I wouldn't really be racing it as I am just looking to get into a hobby and figured RC would be fun Plan to look into boats to when time permits I love RC tanks so pretty much just looking for something rather fast to just go out for an hour or so a day and just run it.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:02 PM
alucard214

How about this one? and could someone post a link to a good battery for this one?

http://www.towerhobbies.com/products...as/trac88.html
Old 04-09-2008, 11:17 PM
Mambamonster

How about this?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXNCR1&P=ML
Old 04-09-2008, 11:21 PM
alucard214

I was looking at that battery.. so with the rustler thats about 45+ mph thats good enough for me to keep more then happy whats a good charger? Also any opinions on the rustler over the bandit only two VXL i saw that I really liked.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:22 PM
Mspeed

The maxamps batterys are good, if you go with lipo. Just make sure you read all the cautions on how to properly charge and use a lipo. The rustler is good for the smoother stuff, monster trucks can take the grass and rough stuff much better. All depends where you are going to drive it and what you like.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:26 PM
Mspeed

The bandit is a bit faster, but cant handle as much stuff offroad cause it sits lower. Most people get the rustler due to more aftermark support and they can take it in more places offroad

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.