Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > Traxxas Monster Truck forum
Reload this Page >

Do your temps have to be between a certain temp?

Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Do your temps have to be between a certain temp?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 11:18 PM
equlizer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do your temps have to be between a certain temp?

I know its not that good to go over 270F but thats it. I got mine tuned fairly good in my opinion and after playing with it for 15 mins straight, the temps are around 225F give or take. Are those temps ok? Its stock engine and glow plug and im using Odonnel fuel.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:43 PM
VXL BURRITO

Default RE: Do your temps have to be between a certain temp?

That's a good temp. I would be happy if mine stayed under 270. My revo was idling at 225 lol literally. I got up to 290 when I got it running OK. I need to get that glow plug in!!!
Old 04-09-2008, 11:48 PM
snoking16

you want to be higher then that. 225 is almost break in temps. you want to run 250-270....you can go past 300 and it should be fine as long as its not run for very long at that temp. i found that my 3.3 ran awsome at around 270 and still had a nice looking piston and sleeve after 3 gallons.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:16 AM
VXL BURRITO

oh ok. I have a 3.3 also, and I didn't know that. I thought 290 was too hot. 300's are really bad to hit though. Like no engine should hit 300+. That's gonna be when bad stuff starts happening.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:04 AM
Mspeed

I had a run away one time that got out of hand. After I finially got to it and checked the temp, it was 350 f. I guess thats not too bad for going wide open upside down till it stalled out and thats all after it ran around at full speed for like a min. That motor still ran for a couple gallons after that, but only lasted about 4 or so gallons total. Definitely the shortest motor life I have had so far. I dont know if that was the real killer of that motor, but I never run my engines that high and usually get atleast 6 gallons or more off my 3.3's.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:32 PM
matts6887

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That temp is just OK to me, but it could be better probably. Like VXL said, u really dont want to get close to 300 if u can help it at all as 300 is usually a danger zone for most(not necessairily all) nitro engines
Old 04-10-2008, 01:04 PM
slayerphonics

ORIGINAL: snoking16

you want to be higher then that. 225 is almost break in temps. you want to run 250-270....you can go past 300 and it should be fine as long as its not run for very long at that temp. i found that my 3.3 ran awsome at around 270 and still had a nice looking piston and sleeve after 3 gallons.
If your motor runs consitently at 225 degress and runs good thats the temp it runs at.. thats not break in temp,

If your motor runs consitently at 250 defgress and runs good then thats the temp.

Now if one day you temp it and its like 280, and you have been running 225 consistently thats a sign that something is wrong, maybe a tune problem.. maybe bearings are going.

But I usually operate from 200 to 250, It all depends on the motor. I see motors screaming on the track they come off and temp at 205. Temp is something you monitor not tune by.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:49 PM
snoking16

I see motors screaming on the track they come off and temp at 205.
your kidding right...break in temps are 200-220. once you break it in you can tune for performance...if the motor is properly tuned and the ambient temp isnt on any extreme side of the spectrum you should be running atleast 250. again i personally ran my motors at 270 and they both ran like a top. if you have a fuel with full castor oil you can run 300 degrees because the oil burns off at a higher temp. synthetic starts to burn off at about 300 so i would stay under 290 if your running it hard.

and yeah you dont use temps to tune but you know if your tune is dead on that the temps will be in those ranges.

alot of people dont know this but running with temps too low is just as bad as running with temps too high. you need to find the sweet spot