Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

3.3 only 2 months old big problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 10:31 PM
MAXXCHEVY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.3 only 2 months old big problem

I took my revo out today for a little run, the motor has about a gallon and a half through it and the trucks barely 2 months old. i have a temp guage and keep track of my temps my truck has never hit above 265-270 to the best of my knowledge can someone tell me from the photos why the piston rod crack like that? Does it seem like the motor has been run to lean?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10872.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	964655   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30582.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	964656  
Old 06-05-2008, 10:51 PM
jayrguidaben

Default RE: 3.3 only 2 months old big problem

i think you over rev it and a little bit lean
Old 06-05-2008, 10:59 PM
MAXXCHEVY

If i called traxxas do you think it would fall under manufacturer defects? i mean should a rod crack in half like that? i guess it was a sign when on break in the one way seized onto the crank shaft, maybe the motor wasnt built correctly.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:32 PM
matts6887

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: MAXXCHEVY

If i called traxxas do you think it would fall under manufacturer defects? i mean should a rod crack in half like that? i guess it was a sign when on break in the one way seized onto the crank shaft, maybe the motor wasnt built correctly.
Welp....from the looks of it...(assuming it was not too lean of course) I would say u definately got a defect. Because if u were keeping track of the temps, etc. like u say it was and it never got near 300; then yes indeed it sounds like you got a de-funct engine....I would call traxxas and explain to them what happened and even email them the same pics that u posted if u have to. I think they should take care of it because of the excellent supposrt and service they have...
Old 06-05-2008, 11:46 PM
MAXXCHEVY

yes that is one thing they do have is great CS, they aready sent me a one way, backplate and shaft. My throttle servo went out and they are sending me a new one.....I figured i would call them and try to explain my situation to me it seems something like this shouldnt happen my last t-maxx motor last me more then 5 years.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:09 AM
MAXXCHEVY

What are good cheap websites to pick up a new motor just incase i need to buy one i know there is A-main, tower, 2cool rc, but what are others?
Old 06-06-2008, 12:32 AM
calvino

What are good cheap websites to pick up a new motor just incase i need to buy one i know there is A-main, tower, 2cool rc, but what are others?
if a manufactures defect doesn't work, you can get a new one at 1/2 price through traxxas, you got to remember, the TRX line of engines are like other traxxas motors, they can last forever 4+ gallons, OR they can die rly fast like yours do, its a game of "hit and miss", sorry to hear its gone bad, hope you can get a free replacment (sell it and get an OS engine
Old 06-06-2008, 01:39 AM
Rawlpower

MAXXCHEVY

I can't see properly on your first photo but is thre head on that piston light brown (ok) or blue (too lean)? Or a bit of both?

I have fried a glow engine like that before by running it too lean. It seems like the engine is going well but its screaming like a banshee.

However, you say the temp never went over 270. What was the ambient temp when you were running the motor? Remember that in cold weather you cannot simply lean the motor to get the temp up because then not enough oil lubricant gets into the motor.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:41 AM
Rawlpower

Sorry I see now that you live in CA so unlikely that the ambient temperature was too cold!!
Old 06-06-2008, 08:08 AM
Gregcy89

hey dudes thats exactly what happened with me last year! i mean me revo was only 4 months old and the con rod broke into 2 halfs in the middle! after that i bought a new piston/sleeve and a con rod! after ive broken in my engine my carburetor broke!! im telling you guys revo 3.3 is perfect but this trx 3.3 is the most crappy engine ive ever seen!!! its just too sensitive! thats why im running with a .28 axial now for 4 months and i have the same high performance!!(because i got tired of wasting my money on trx 3.3 i bought the axial)!!!!!!
Old 06-06-2008, 08:18 AM
racemaxx24

I love my 3.3. I will hit the gallon mark anytime now and it just screams. The driveshafts are soooooo twisted on my t-maxx 2.5 that wrds can't even explain it
Old 06-06-2008, 09:16 AM
MAXXCHEVY

ORIGINAL: Rawlpower

MAXXCHEVY

I can't see properly on your first photo but is thre head on that piston light brown (ok) or blue (too lean)? Or a bit of both?

I have fried a glow engine like that before by running it too lean. It seems like the engine is going well but its screaming like a banshee.
The head of the piston is a light brown color i never run my motors too lean, i always worries i will fry the piston but i guess your never safe
Old 06-06-2008, 11:13 AM
matts6887

MAXXCHEVY

The head of the piston is a light brown color i never run my motors too lean, i always worries i will fry the piston but i guess your never safe

You may say that u never run any of ur engines too lean, but how do u know for sure u didn't mistakenly run it too lean; like where u thought the needle(s) were set rich enough but in reality they really weren't?
Old 06-06-2008, 01:50 PM
MAXXCHEVY

ORIGINAL: matts6887

MAXXCHEVY

You may say that u never run any of ur engines too lean, but how do u know for sure u didn't mistakenly run it too lean; like where u thought the needle(s) were set rich enough but in reality they really weren't?
well for starters i didnt turn my hs leaner then 3/8 of a turn from the stock 4 turns the Ls stayed at stock flush the whole time, the truck ran well plus im always worried bout temps ....this isnt the first motor ive tuned.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:16 PM
mcjustis

Maxxchevy,

I just picked up a replacement liner, piston, rod, pin, clip, crank, backplate, starting shaft, case and bearings for $49.99 from Rapidrcparts.com. Ordered them Tuesday, got them thursday. All the parts were assembled also, all I had to do was switch the EZ start, head, flywheel, carb, and exhaust. Basically a new motor for $49.99. I though it was too good to be true.
Martin
Old 06-06-2008, 02:52 PM
benpimpin

Maxxchevy, this exact thing happend to me, I was running my revo in a lot next to my house, and it started actin up a bit, and then it just died, i tried pulling the pullstart but it seized up., so I took it apart and my rod was broken in half. So what should I go about doing to fix it?
Old 06-06-2008, 05:15 PM
MAXXCHEVY

Well i just got off the line with traxxas and they believe it can be handled under warrenty, they want me to send the motor in to check it out but it seems like ill will be well taken care of. Its amazing that they seem to just handle everything will little explaination. I must say that picco .26 max was looking kinda good (maybe the dark side in the future)
Old 06-06-2008, 05:17 PM
big terp 77

unfortunately, i am in the 3.3 broken rod club. i switched to the resonator pipe and never readjusted my needle settings. absolutely my fault. you would think it would be more forgiving but it isnt. it definitely isnt a novice engine. you would have thought that traxxas would have done something about it by now. do a search, every other day somebody joins the club.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:18 PM
MAXXCHEVY

ORIGINAL: benpimpin

Maxxchevy, this exact thing happend to me, I was running my revo in a lot next to my house, and it started actin up a bit, and then it just died, i tried pulling the pullstart but it seized up., so I took it apart and my rod was broken in half. So what should I go about doing to fix it?

Haha Look at me answering questions like Im an expert now 16 replys ago i was the one asking questions, well ben it depends on how old the truck is and how much fuel you have run through it try calling traxxas and see if they will work with you (P.S. When you on the phone its best to say as least as possible)
Old 06-06-2008, 05:32 PM
benpimpin

cool looks like i will be giving them a call, I am not sure how much fuel has been ran through it, i traded my cen gst 7.7 last week for it. Its the 3.3 revo.. If its not under warranty I head something about if you send in your old motor, traxxas will give you a new one for half the price or something like that, is this true?
Old 06-06-2008, 05:37 PM
matts6887

ORIGINAL: benpimpin

cool looks like i will be giving them a call, I am not sure how much fuel has been ran through it, i traded my cen gst 7.7 last week for it. Its the 3.3 revo.. If its not under warranty I head something about if you send in your old motor, traxxas will give you a new one for half the price or something like that, is this true?
Yes, the engine "Exchange" thing is true. U can send in ur old engine, no matter what kinda condition its in along with $130(approx.) and in return u will get a brand new engine back. Imo, its a pretty good deal considering the type of engine the 3.3 is for a stocker...
Old 06-06-2008, 05:40 PM
benpimpin

as far as motors, what other options are there for around 130$, or is it best to stick with the 3.3
Old 06-06-2008, 05:57 PM
iamnot

ORIGINAL: big terp 77

unfortunately, i am in the 3.3 broken rod club. i switched to the resonator pipe and never readjusted my needle settings. absolutely my fault. you would think it would be more forgiving but it isnt. it definitely isnt a novice engine. you would have thought that traxxas would have done something about it by now. do a search, every other day somebody joins the club.
there is an issue for sure
with the con rods

but i really don't think it's as bad
as the internet boards make it seem

you really have to look at
the total number of those engines
in circulation
i'd bet they sell 100,000 of them
or more a month
and they've been out for, what
2 years now?
that would mean there are
probably more than 2 million
3.3's out there. that makes the few
that we hear about a pretty
tiny percentage

not saying that makes it
any more pleasant when it's
your's that dies
just that there has to be some perspective

and at least traxxas
is taking care of it's
customers that do have problems
Old 06-06-2008, 06:07 PM
JB COMP

ORIGINAL: matts6887

MAXXCHEVY

well for starters i didnt turn my hs leaner then 3/8 of a turn from the stock 4 turns the Ls stayed at stock flush the whole time, the truck ran well plus im always worried bout temps ....this isnt the first motor ive tuned.
On my TRX 2.5R the HSN is 5 turns out and the LSN is factory, and its not running real rich, Temps don't mean its rich or lean. Needles setting don't mean its rich or lean. If I ran mine at 4 turns out on the HSN I would fry mine.

You have to see how the engine is running, thats the best way to see if you're running lean.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:07 PM
MAXXCHEVY

ORIGINAL: JB COMP

On my TRX 2.5R the HSN is 5 turns out and the LSN is factory, and its not running real rich, Temps don't mean its rich or lean. Needles setting don't mean its rich or lean. If I ran mine at 4 turns out on the HSN I would fry mine.

You have to see how the engine is running, thats the best way to see if you're running lean.
Def i agree im just sayin from factory i didnt change my need very much at all it was running very nice.....also what % nitro do you run because my buddy runs 15% in his 2.5 and his LS needle is way out and his high speed is 4 turns out...his truck keeps up with my 3.3 and his does wheelies (its a 2.5 maxx btw)

but temps mean that the motor is running at the appropriate opperating temp, otherwise to high and you will def blow up ur motor.

btw arent well all on the same side as hobbiers? i know people like to give their 2 cents but im fine with just getting 1 penny thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.