Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

wettish conditions

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 08:20 PM
clshades

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wettish conditions

Hrmm... i made a post but i don't see it so i'll try again. I just purchased a 3.3 tmaxx yesterday. I got through the 1st 4 tanks of break-in without much issues other than a sticky motor. I shredded the center rear drive shaft and replaced them with Mips today so it should be good for a while.

MY question is can i run this thing in wettish conditions or should i avoid the wet all together? I only ask because I'm a total rookie and i honestly don't know. I've searched around and have seen people saying both things etc... I just don't wanna ruin my 1st nitro RC car.

Thanks
Old 08-31-2008, 08:30 PM
TMaxxDriver

Default RE: wettish conditions

some people LIKE running when its wet, you can purchase waterproof spray at your LHS, that you can spray all over to protect the electronics.
or you can get waterproof servos, etc...

personally, my truck is too much of an investment to me, that i just choose not to run in the wet conditions... its all in what you wanna do... i'm sure MUD would be fun!! but like i said, you can get spray, waterproof servos, etc... a few other things, to make it more waterproof... [8D]
Old 08-31-2008, 08:45 PM
clshades

Thanks mate... I have none of that water proofing stuff... so I guess i'll just sit here and stew
Old 08-31-2008, 09:00 PM
TMaxxDriver

yeah one of the joys of the hobby, not being able to play when the weather decides to be nasty... im really going to be depressed when winter comes around, and have to store my Maxx away for a few months!! GRRR...
Old 09-01-2008, 08:41 AM
nitro rc

considering it is your first nitro, i would take it easy for a while. I personally never run my tmaxx when it is wet out. A little mud is ok but don't be going through 6 inch deep mud puddles.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:27 AM
clshades

Thanks for the replys... you guys seem like a decent bunch so i think i'll stick around! Hope ya welcome me to the fold Pretty sure i'll be asking a lot of questions so I hope that's ok.

-Deano
Old 09-01-2008, 11:23 AM
matts6887

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another thing u could do is "balloon" the servos and receiver to protect them from the "wet" if u really insist on driving in the wet conditions. Otherwise I would say not to bother because a tmaxx, especially a brand new one, just like any other truck is too much of a investment to bother taking a chance ruining it....
Old 09-01-2008, 12:11 PM
lestatsghost

go to a party supply store and get a bag of latex balloons. put your receiver in a balloon and zip tie the open end (make sure the antenna is outside). also at places like home depot or lowes you can get a plastic dip for tool handles, dip your servos in that. also you will want to maybe put some heavy grease around the servo horn, use something thick and pack it in. the only down side to plastic coating your servos is if you need to fix one it will take you a while to get all the plastic coating off. you can also use RVT (automotive gasket material) I have found that is more rebuilding friendly.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:44 PM
clshades

gasket... thats a really good idea mate. I haven't taken anything apart yet really.. just the drive shafts
Old 09-01-2008, 12:55 PM
lestatsghost

sometimes you can strip the gears in the steering servo. replacing the gears is sometimes easier and cheaper if you can find them.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:05 PM
TMaxxDriver

yeah welcome to the forums clshades!! ask as many questions as you can, i love to ask many myself!! and i love seeing what everyone else has to say about particular things!!
Old 09-01-2008, 11:52 PM
mopower2ya

i've done quite a bit of reasearch on this since i only have about 3 months of no snow where i live. Check this site out, i'll be doing this when winter rolls around, maybe sooner. I've used this stuff for other projects and it would deffinatly work for waterproofing!!
Old 09-02-2008, 10:27 AM
matts6887

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: TMaxxDriver

yeah welcome to the forums clshades!! ask as many questions as you can, i love to ask many myself!! and i love seeing what everyone else has to say about particular things!!

Hey, thats what were are all here for right? To help one another out when needed and if possible.....[8D]