Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

problems with pull start

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 11:57 AM
danja mon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problems with pull start

Are pull starts really this lame or is it just me? I try to be carefull not to pull too far or too hard but i keep breaking mine. Would I be better off with a roto start, and if so how long do the batteries last? Also, can I get away with using a cordless drill?
Old 09-01-2008, 01:17 PM
newgst

Default RE: problems with pull start

grab a permanent marker and pull your pullstart out like 8 inches and then mark it up very darkly with ink. Now you you use your pullstart don't pull further than that! also tune your motor right so it starts on 1-2 pulls
Old 09-01-2008, 01:28 PM
danja mon

I think thats my biggest problem is tuning..once in a while I can start it with one or two pulls but usualy its more like one or two dozen..... if the pullstart doesn't break. The temperature changes alot around here and I'm not sure on how much I should adjust the needles every time I go out....any tips? thanx
Old 09-01-2008, 04:38 PM
leroycool1

i like pull starts but a couple months ago i swaped to starter box and its way better even for bashing
Old 09-02-2008, 09:37 PM
danja mon

How much of a hassle is lugging around a starter box? are they heavy and what kind of batteries do they use? how much and whats the best to get? thanx..
Old 09-02-2008, 11:00 PM
dirtpile

They can be a hassle depending on how for you have to lug it. They weigh around 10-20 pounds depending on type and battery.
The cheaper ones use two 550 size motors and are usually lighter. Higher end models may use a single 700 or bigger motor and are more likely to be on the heavier side. Most use a 12v gel-cell or 2 stick packs.
I had a cheapy Dynamite (until it caught fire from spilled fuel, don't worry it's a rare occurance) and found the gel-cell would run longer but I had to upgrade the motors (Reedy Bad Maxx 19T) and wiring to get more power out of it.
I think I saw a couple models that were designed especially for Revos. They have a valleyed top plate and wheel position that should make it easier to use, but unfortunately not compatible with other vehicles.
Search around Tower or your favorite shop and if you see something you like ask about it.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:33 PM
matts6887

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say go with a electric or rotor start over the pull start any day because it is less of a hassle, especially if the engine is tuned right; as it should start in just a couple quite taps of the electric or roto start button.....Ive tried pullstart before myself and have ended up going through 2 or 3 pullstarts myself, and yes I was definitely careful not to pull them out too far...that is why I don't like pullstarts.....just my .02 here....
Old 09-03-2008, 10:26 PM
danja mon

thanks guys
Old 09-06-2008, 06:04 PM
Taxxas-Davin

Well you couldnt mark it with a marker cuz the cord will get black as hell eventually. I really think it depends on the brand of pull start. My friend would constantly break his HPI pullstart cords, and i have yet to break a pullstart on my O.S., ive had it for years