Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

revo hop ups

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 09:43 PM
sb13
My Feedback: (52)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default revo hop ups

I wanted to know if there are any must have hop ups for the revo you guys would recommend. I have the tranny with a center diff and rear brake, I just bought another tranny with just the FOC becouse I like doing wheelies and the center diff prevents this so I'll keep it incase I ever race and install the new one for now. I have the sway bar kit on it. I have a new OS TM .21 I'm getting ready to install with a THS pipe. I need to know if I should use the stock clutch or is there a must have clutch I should buy. I have a wing mounted. I have proline rims with 23mm hubs. Stock body and shocks. Is there a great set of aftermarket shocks I should think about buying? I have the THS CVD's for the driveshafts and the centers already. I'm using stock A arms becouse I have'nt broke one yet but I'll add RPM's when I do. I still have the 2 servos for the steering and would'nt mind going to a single Hitec 5955 if you guys think it's worth it. I have the larger fuel tank installed. I have the smaller servo box and receiver box installed already. This is the 5309 as you have noticed not the newer 5308 version. Anything else that is a must have?? Please throw it at me as I'm going all out on this one. The bulk heads and everything else are still all stock. I'll leave mostly stock items like that on it until they break but any other items you can think of that you would do if it was yours I want to hear about. How about the gearing set up? I have the 40 tooth I believe it is on it as far as the spur gear goes and the stock clutch bell. I like low to mid range power.
Thanks for everyones thoughts and ideas.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:07 PM
NitroVenom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: revo hop ups

This should help you out plenty:

[link=http://www.traxxas.com/support/kb_search.php?action=artikel&cat=143&id=482]Part 1: Steering[/link]

[link=http://www.traxxas.com/support/kb_search.php?action=artikel&cat=143&id=472&artlang=en]Part 3: Suspension[/link]

[link=http://www.traxxas.com/support/kb_search.php?action=artikel&cat=143&id=483&artlang=en]Part 3: Drivetrain[/link]

[link=http://www.traxxas.com/support/kb_search.php?action=artikel&cat=0&id=594]Part 4: Tuning and set-up[/link]

You will Deff want to get a stronger single servo. [link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_61_100/products_id/18373]This[/link] would be a good servo. As for the mods you have already done, they are perfect.

As for a clutch I recomend using MIP's 2 shoe clutch. A 40 tooth spur is gonna be geared too low for the OS .21. You'll wheelie everywhere. Get a 38 tooth for the Spur and a 16 for the clutch(I think stock is a 16 so I would count the teeth before buying another.)

GTR shocks are great but I'm doing fine with my Nitrate coated shafts and stock bodies. Just put in some 50wt along with stiffer springs.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:40 PM
sb13

I have a 40 thooth spur on it now. I just installed my .21 and the mesh is too tight with the 40/16 so I'll be putting my 38 back on. The THS pipe seems to be a very tight fit from the header to the motor with the rubber seal installed. I did'nt spend alot of time checking it out but it looks to be, might have to do something different but I'm unsure as of now. I'm still thinking of taking out my tranny with the center diff and rear brake and putting in a new tranny thats stock, foward only, that I just bought. It launches with the center diff with all 4 wheels planted but I like goofing off doing wheelies and I'm not racing so I'll probably trade them out. The shocks I do have to do something with. The rear end just does'nt rebound with the stock set up. thanks for the information and the links. I'll post how it all goes after the break in and so on. It will be a few days I think before I get that far.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:02 PM
sb13

The links you gave me are awsome. Alot of knowledge there.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:17 PM
sb13

I just bought a new set of shocks from a Platinum Revo to put on mine. Should be better than what I had.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:28 AM
JLRevo

On the clutch issue I've been thru 4 stock and 1 mip. They kept breaking where the clutch slids over the flywheel. I got a 3 piece aluminuim clutch and haven't had a problem yet. But I have a pico maxx with the slipper locked down. By the way great job. I have to update my gallery new body and hop ups. Another thing speed first then look good. I had a revo 3.3 in june, now it's has everything platnium and more. 3pk on the way. Check my gallery in 2 weeks.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:30 AM
JLRevo

I run robinson racing 16/40 with no problem. What ever mount you get dremel some material off for more adjustment. Then you can use crazt cluthbell/spur gear combo's.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:07 AM
sb13

Kasarn, thanks for the input. These forums are great.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:58 PM
NitroVenom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to here your getting the most out of your rig! You do know you can just take the center diff and rear brake off right? The GTR shocks are 100x's better then stock. They are much smoother then stock and will improve the handling a lot. The GTR shocks come with the nitrate coated shafts already so no need to get them.

The THS pipe is gonna be a tight fit because of the size of the 21tm. I would also recomend changing were the exhaust hanger is mounted. The stock mount is on the body mount, and so is your wing mount. So everytime you wheelie or land on the wing, it will bend that tower and push on the exhaust. And a lot of the time, you'll bend your exhaust header. So I would get a new metal hanger, and bend it so you can mount it on the chassies. Here's a pic of where you should mount the new hanger. I'll take a pic later of what it should look like mounted up.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11631.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	1025505  
Old 09-03-2008, 02:29 PM
sb13

I'll look when I get home but for some reason I'm picturing the exhaust mount screwed into the chassis but I guess not? The shocks are going to be a great add on. The tranny I figured I'll leave built and just swap it out since I bought a new foward only version off of ebay at a great price, now I have the option of putting the other back in if I ever want to. I'll probably leave this one in for now and see how I like it with the OS. I will change the exhaust hanger if needed like you said to do. No reason to screw up my header if thats the case. Thanks for the picture.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:18 PM
sb13

Have you ran the OS with a THS exhaust? The header seems to be a super tight fit to the back of the engine. I have'nt forced it on yet and don't want to or should'nt have to. The OS header fits of course but wont hook up to the THS pipe becouse the THS uses springs to hook to its header and the OS and the original 3.3 are hooked up with the rubber coupling. How are you or others dealing with this if you know?
Old 09-03-2008, 08:19 PM
sb13

I looked and the exhaust mounting hole is where you said Venum, did'nt doubt you just needed to look. I'll change it like you suggested. I still can't get full throttle, I'm about 2/3rds open now.