Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

tires / suspension

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 10:17 PM
clshades

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tires / suspension

Ok well with 4 of my mates playing with a new toy (yes i let everyone have a go) I've managed to bust the rear rims (small cracks) me and one of my friend managed to roll it end over end on the tires haha WEWT! So i know i need to start muckin around with the suspension as it needs to be quite a bit stiffer. I also need to put different rims and tires... I'm wondering which rims are the best bang for the buck and which tires would be good for flattish dirt. Obviously I don't want to roll this thing from a high speed however... as I learn to drive this thing and push it to the limits I gotta find the fine line between crash and kicking ass!!! The stock ones have cracks so they are loose and wobble. Also I'm wondering how much life i can expect to get outta the stock shocks.. which settings should I be using for high speed and which for low speed.

If anyone has links to share I'm keen to check them out TIA

-Deano
Old 09-01-2008, 11:17 PM
dirtpile

Default RE: tires / suspension

Trinity and others make stiffer springs for your Maxx. As for helping prevent rollovers you can get offset wheels in the old Maxx size (3.2 inch, new is 3.8 inch) from RPM, Proline and maybe a couple others. Proline also has 40 series wheels with 1/2 inch offset too.
Since you have a new Maxx you have a few shock mounting positions. I would try putting the uppers in the inner hole and lowers in the outer hole. This should make your truck sit lower and greatly reduce body roll. But it won't be too good for bigger jumps. At least without stiff springs and thicker shock oil.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:38 PM
clshades

Ok.. so what about rims then? I noticed a lot of people here use the solid white rims. The stock ones with the t maxx are cheap but well.. they broke and i'm sure they'll break again.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:10 PM
dirtpile

As a general rule chromed wheels tend to me made of harder plastic and are more likely to crack. The velocity wheels are made of a more flexible nylon and will give with breakning so easily. Same goes for most color molded wheels. I think all Traxxas wheels are made from the same hard plastic, so stick with aftermarket wheels and you should be fine.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:43 PM
clshades

Thanks mate!
Old 09-04-2008, 05:01 AM
T-MAXXRich
My Feedback: (1)

I bought the Hot Bodies aluminum threaded shocks and put four heavier springs on the inside shocks and put dual rate springs on the outside and so far i am impressed. As for tires i have heard alot of good things about the proline bowties for flat dirt. But I also purchased hotbodies wheels and tires cause i am a bit of a basher and like to go big out here in Iraq cause there is not much dirt out here to run on.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:48 PM
clshades

Well i bought a couple RPM rims and some badlands MT tires.. i really like the feel and look of these tires even tho they are a little smaller. I'm guessing this will affect my top speed a bit but that's ok for now hehe. I gotta say though.. you can certainly see the quality difference between the RPM rims and the stock traxxas rims. I noticed the stance is quite a bit bigger which would be good for around here... lotta flat areas to tool around in. Thanks again for the info fellas

-Deano
Old 09-17-2008, 02:46 AM
power454

What i've used for my setup is a set up dark blue (really stiff) springs in the very back. Black springs on the next set forward. In the very I have black springs and then red springs on the next set back. It has worked great because the truck doesn't squat on hard take offs (although wheelies are extremely easy if the tires bite) and I almost never bottom out because the springs are so stiff. If you are setting up for higher speeds then follow dirtpiles set up for your shocks and use thicker shock oil which will also help with taking those taller jumps. If you are going to be doing some rougher off roading then maybe move the spring positions to the middle settings. Unfortunately, it's kind of a hit or miss type thing with how you drive and what kind of terrain you are driving as to how the truck suspension should be set up because everyone is a little different.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:08 PM
clshades

Awesome I'm gonna try that out thanks again for the tips.