Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

starting point

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 09:05 PM
mopower2ya

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starting point

i have a revo 2.5 i just bought used. Where should my carb settings be to get this started? Its all messed up from the previous owner.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:14 PM
DaveG55

Default RE: starting point

If I remember correctly the HSN is 4 turns out, the LSN is flush with the end of the slide and the idle screw is a 1-2 mm gap

You can always check on the Traxxas website for any settings or directions/instructions you may need.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:21 PM
coolink13
My Feedback: (3)

I agree with above reply. I always go to manufacturer specifications If it is something I am not familiar with. You must start there first. Also make sure you are getting fuel through the carb. And of course spark!
make sure the glow plug is good. Good luck!
Old 09-03-2008, 12:26 AM
mopower2ya

thanx everyone. brought it too factory specs i can get it to start but just won't stay running long. used truck, very very very dirty!!! i'm taking it all apart and cleaning it up, the carbs pretty gummy so i think that may be one of the problems too. finding more broken stuff as i dig further into it too. stripped wheel nut i still haven't gotten off cause someone ran off with all my vise grips. Broken moter mount. broken cooling fin. no front halfshafts. turnbucke on one of the servos missing. screw that holds steering linkage is is a sheet metal screw lol. and i'm still digging into it!!!! oh well, what do u expect for a hundred bucks i guess huh? maybe since i'm tearing it all apart i may have to upgrade some too. wish me luck on my getting my first nitro up an runnin..
Old 09-03-2008, 10:29 AM
matts6887

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, if u think the carb is somehow gummed up, carefully unscrew it from where it sits in the base of the engine, being careful not to lose the o-ring that sits under the carb, then, carefully take out the high speed needle screw and low speed needle screw, get some denatured alcohol, and let it soak in it for awhile. Then dry it off and re-assemble it. And at that point, hopefully that will help de-gum the carb and get rid of all the gunk that maybe inside the carb from use of the previous owner. Good luck with it man!!! [8D]
Old 09-03-2008, 03:06 PM
DaveG55

Matt, May be nitpicking here but, the carb does not unscrew from the engine. There is a pinch bolt that needs to be loosened and freed up and then the carb just pulls out. Didn't want to see somebody twisting and twisting the carb thinking that would remove it when it would actually probably cause damage.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:48 PM
matts6887

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: DaveG55

Matt, May be nitpicking here but, the carb does not unscrew from the engine. There is a pinch bolt that needs to be loosened and freed up and then the carb just pulls out. Didn't want to see somebody twisting and twisting the carb thinking that would remove it when it would actually probably cause damage.
Well, yes I know it does not like "unscrew" from the carb base per say, but what i meant was to undo that bolt that u are referring to that holds the carb in place......
Old 09-03-2008, 10:11 PM
mopower2ya

cool cool, got my engine out, spayed the whole thing down with brake cleaner and took a toothbrush (not mine) after it. didn't bring up the right socket for the carb so gotta go back to the garage to get that but have a quick question. when I rotate the engine i gets hard to turn when aproaching tdc and the piston seems to "click" into place at tdc then its hard to get it out of tdc. not really hard, i don't have to force it or anything. is that normal?
Old 09-04-2008, 06:47 AM
DaveG55

Perfectly normal and desirable. It means that you have "pinch". Pinch is where the piston and sleeve fit togeather tightly and is what allows compression to happen (these little motors don't have rings like a bigger engine does). You should be able to feel the pinch even with the glow plug out. With the GP in what you feel is a combination of pinch and compression. It's best to store the engine with the piston at bdc after running it in order to preserve that pinch.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:00 PM
mopower2ya

yea, this is all with the glow plug out so i feel better now.