Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.
View Poll Results: A poll
Duratrax Onyx 240 Dual Charger
0%
Duratrax Twin Pulse Charger
0%
Hobbico Accu-Cycle Elite Dual Charger
50.00%
(Single Charger ONLY)= Duratrax ICE
50.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Update: Which Charger should I get??

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 03:50 AM
tomcatguy74
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update: Which Charger should I get??

Ok, I know you all will tell me that I already have a thread like this on on here already, however I have now changed my mind on the charger type I want. As some of you know I had a problem with my Onyx 230 charger and had to send it in for repair and they told me they were going to to send me a new charger, but they won't be in till the end of this month..maybe. They offered to send me out one of 3 chargers, The Duratrax ICE, Great Planes Triton 2 or now a Hobbico Accu-cycle Elite Dual Charger. This was a couple of weeks ago and I still have not decided.

Now I am in the market for an Emaxx 16.8. I am not sure if I should get a dual charger or a single charger.

I am not sure but I think Hobby Services might send me out a Duratrax Twin Peak, the Accu-Cycle Elite, or I could ask them to send out a Onyx 240 dual charger.

Now my questions are:

1. Will a single charger like the ICE charge 2 batteries at 8.0A one at a time faster than a Dual charger at the same time at 2 or 5 Amps?

2. If I go with a dual charger should I get the [link=http://duratrax.com/caraccys/dtxp4240.html]Duratrax Onyx 240 Dual Charger[/link], [link=http://duratrax.com/caraccys/dtxp4150.html]Duratrax Twin Pulse Charger[/link], or the [link=http://www.hobbico.com/cyclers/hcap0280.html]Hobbico Accu-Cycle Elite Dual Charger[/link]?

If I should go with the single charger I will be getting the [link=http://duratrax.com/caraccys/dtxp4170.html]Duratrax ICE Charger[/link].
Thanks for all your help!!
Old 09-07-2008, 01:12 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: Update: Which Charger should I get??

Chargeing at 8 amps will be the same chargeing speed as doing 2 at 4 amps , and would be harder on the batteries. The ice will not do two packs at 8 amps.

Here's the order of chargeing speed:

MRC 977 5 amps
Onyx 240 (if using 6 or 7 cell packs)
Twin pulse 3.5 amps
Elite (on dc) 2 amps

The 977 is the best deal gong for doing dual packs in a hurry.
The ice is most powerful single charger , and the Triton2 will not be limited in output voltage like the ice.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-07-2008, 01:37 PM
tomcatguy74
My Feedback: (4)

I know the ICE can only do one pack at a time but will it charge 2 packs faster than using a dual charger? Also because of my warrenty with Hobby services I am only limited to the chargers listed above. The MRC is not an option. I wish it was though. I think the Onyx 240 will charge 2 at 5amps though.
Old 09-07-2008, 01:55 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

The ice will do 2 packs if the output voltage is kept below 20 volts. It just won't do them at 8 amps.

Maybe to simplify things , note that Amps (current) = chargeing speed.

Then to complicate things again [] Your chargeing comparisons will come down to a comparison of max power. The 240 I think is 80 watts , the ice is 120 watts.

In the end, the 240 will do two packs faster and safer and better than doing one pack at a time with the ice.

I guess it can be expressed like this. There are limitation of total power and max current, the limit is "whichever comes first"