Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

NOT Starting... What to do next??

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 07:38 PM
TMaxxDriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NOT Starting... What to do next??

SOOOO... I went to the LHS today... and as i suspected, i picked up a few things, mostly things of importance, and spent about the entire day in the garage working on my

Maxx, and cant get it to fire... bought new glow plug, new glow plug wire... everything cranks, has compression, but just wont fire... heated up the head with heat gun (not too

hot), but wont fire... dunno here.. ANY advice works for me. thanks guys..
Old 09-08-2008, 07:52 PM
KamikazeParanoia

Default RE: NOT Starting... What to do next??

you tried checking the needles?
if you have not seen it running already with current setup, try returning them to factory settings, is a good place to start, will atleast get it started for you, if everything else is ok
Old 09-08-2008, 07:56 PM
DaveG55

You gotta have air, fuel and fire for the engine to run. You obviously don't have one of the three. So start checking to see what's lacking.
Is the air filter clean?
Is fuel priming to the carb? And staying there?
Even new glow plugs can be bad - put the old one back in and see what happens.
Be sure the ignitor is fully charged.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:28 PM
sb13
My Feedback: (52)

I agree with Dave but believe what he said you have probably already done TMaxxDriver. I've seen you here enough so I assume you already know the basics and have checked them all.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:35 PM
matts6887

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too agree with dave here, check all that he suggessted and see where it takes ya from there....
Old 09-08-2008, 10:26 PM
TMaxxDriver

yeah sb13, im almost, at a loss here... tried priming the carb, check. took of fuel filter, tried to start that way, check. unflooded the whole thing, with plug out, check. i tried with the brand new plug and the old plug, nothing. i really dunno what happened... i was thinking because it has been sitting so long, that it was cold or something.... heated it up with my heat gun, nothing...

Matt suggested taking the plug out, and putting it in the end of the blue wire, and touching against the head, to see if it gets orange/red... will do that tomorrow...

also i bought a new fuel line, so i will replace that, with, and without my inline filter to see what results i get... it was just frustrating, as i just got new items, fuel, glow plug, motor mount... and wanted to run around and see how the mount works, with all 4 screws, instead of the 2 that were in it.. (the mount was shot/and stripped)

I will post what happens tomorrow, as tomorrow brings a new day, and more excitement in my world of my RC hobby!! Isnt life grand!?!? [:@]
Old 09-09-2008, 06:51 AM
sb13

I've seen that blue wire fail before. You could take it off of the plug and use a glow ignitor directly on the glow plug and see if it starts.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:15 AM
matts6887

I'm with scott on what he said; as I too have seen that blue wire suddenly go bad; which is why if u have not already done so, I suggest getting glow ignitor; which is gonna heat the plug I think much better than the blue wire does at it. One other thing I would try to get it to kick over is take out the plug, put a few drops of fuel in the plug hole, then put the plug back in. Also, take the air filter off, open the carb barrel, and put a few drops of fuel down into the throat of the carb and see if it will kick over at all doing it that way....
Old 09-09-2008, 09:41 PM
dirtpile

You may also want to try checking and cleaning the oneway bearing in the EZ Start. It could be slipping. Enough to prevent starting but not enough to make it obvious. It used to happen a lot to my Pro.15 before I got fed up with it and switched to pull start.

And +1 on the seperate igniter. One flaw with the EZ Start is that it doesn't preheat the plug before cranking which can make it not want to start.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:58 PM
TMaxxDriver

thanks dirtpile... so if the one way bearing is acting up, will it still turn over like mine is doing?

im thinking about trying the ignitor method, before i have to open anything up... will provide results tomorrow..
Old 09-09-2008, 10:02 PM
sb13

TMD, Let us know how it goes.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:11 PM
mopower2ya

Check for airleaks too. If you have a bad leak somewhere in your fuel system fuel can't get to the carb. you can prime all day but it won't fire if it's not pumping fuel up there.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:33 PM
TMaxxDriver

problem solved... thanks to matts6887 (matt) and sb13 (scott) and everyone else who suggested getting a glow plug ignitor.. plugged that into the plug, and it fired right up... obviously i wasnt getting the fire to the fuel... got everything else though... must be bad glow wire (blue)... been using the ignitor ever since, and it works just fine!! thanks again everyone... may need to tune a little bit... BUT getting the front wheels off the ground, in my 2.5r maxx... pretty impressive for what engine i have!!
Old 09-11-2008, 06:46 PM
matts6887

Always good to hear when a problem is solved this easily!!! [8D]
Old 09-11-2008, 07:10 PM
sb13

TMD, thats awsome man!! I sent you a PM about it but I see now that you got it. Run the crap out of it and enjoy.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:34 PM
TMaxxDriver

Oh you know it guys!! been runnin the heck out of it ever since!! temps were a little high today, (270-275ish).. so i quit early, plus it got dark out... tried messin with the HSN and LSN, but it got dark too quick, plus the temp outside is a little more humid than it was the past 2 days, when the front end was getting off the ground!! haha.. not today, but i will mess with it tomorrow!! thanks soo much again everyone!! thats why i LOVE this forum!![&:]
Old 09-11-2008, 07:52 PM
Excell0602

270-275 is not to high for a nitro engine. It is in the upper half of the temperature range but with some engines you can go up to 300 without hurting them. As long as it runs good, its ok if you go a few degres higher than 270...
Old 09-12-2008, 04:24 PM
TMaxxDriver

yeah my engine usually runs around 275... give or take a few degrees... it was a little warmer yesterday, the engine was running a little warmer, but not near 300!

its raining today, and humid.. so it looks like im not running today! [:@]
Old 09-12-2008, 06:41 PM
sb13

Raining here again too so I'm stuck indoors as well.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:50 PM
TMaxxDriver

yeah it stinks... it gave me the opportunity to clean my truck up a little today and get some pics... it was filthy, because the other day, when i finally got it back up and running, i took it to the park, and ran it in the field, parking lot, and a baseball field, so from the ball field it got super dusty!!

so i got the chance to clean it up... looks like we are supposed to have rain for a few days here.... ugh...... [&o] [&:]
Old 09-12-2008, 10:15 PM
sb13

Rain here until Tuesday...bummer.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:20 PM
TMaxxDriver

well that probably means the same for me, as im only a state over from ya... did you get to see my pics yet Scott? they are on the thread titled 'lets see your modified Tmaxx here'... just curious to see what people think.. nothing special though, its not a Maxx with 3 engines or anything!!! [X(]
Old 09-12-2008, 10:30 PM
sb13

I just checked it out and I really like the body. I need an aftermarket painted body for mine. What pipe is that? Also I noticed a different color set of rear springs but only one on each side. I like the looks of it big time, nice truck!!
Old 09-12-2008, 10:34 PM
TMaxxDriver

Imex aluminum pipe... i have both red shocks in the front, and one red/one black in the rear... not sure what weight they have, but the way its setup, the front sits slightly lower than the rear, i think its perfect for now... handles turns very well... doesnt somersault or anything... yeah, i really like the multicolored body, has a cool effect in the sunlight.. (dont get much sun tho, lol )

thanks for the comment Scott!!
Old 09-12-2008, 10:47 PM
sb13

I just went to ebay looking for a custom painted body but dont see any I want right now. I have before but did'nt buy them and I should have. The ones I like are the crowd pleasers when they are painted with some kind of bad a** look to them and I prefer them to but cut just for the revo already so I dont have to do it and ruin the body if I mess up. I'm going to get one sooner or later but from what I've seen it's going to cost me 60.00-80.00 bucks for what I'm wanting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.