Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

OS break in and revo repairs

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 03:47 PM
sb13
My Feedback: (52)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS break in and revo repairs

I finally got to do the break in on my OS TM .21 today. I used the heat cycle method and it seemed to work really well. I started leaning out the needles some after the final run of break in and the OS seems like it's going to be strong. I hit second gear for only the third time since break in and out of no where the Revo starts cartwheeling for about 20-25 feet. It landed back on all 4 wheels so I tapped the throttle and it was'nt moving. I walked out to the truck and saw it had 2 rocks on the inside of the right rear rim which is what caused the cartwheel. I removed them and the truck would move but something was slipping. I tightened the spur a little and had the same thing. I then noticed that I lost the front drive all together. I saw that the drive shaft was spinning but not the front wheels. I found the screw pin came out of the yoke. Just got back from my LHS so I can make the repair. Still have the slipping problem though. I think it took out my tranny. That stinks becouse I have the center diff and rear brake on that tranny. I also have a brand new spare foward only sitting here so I'll have to change it I think. After that I'll take it back out and start turning needles. I hope to have it going today. It's time to cut grass for now.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:14 PM
TMaxxDriver

Default RE: OS break in and revo repairs

yeah scott, doesnt it just frustrate ya when you run into more problems?? (like im having)... but its all the fun of the hobby... mess something up, fix it, then see the results of your fix... i wish i could spend all my time on my RC, but as you are doing, i gotta mow the lawn also!! good luck to you, and im wishing myself luck as well.. hope to get this thing running soon!!!
Old 09-09-2008, 04:51 PM
sb13

Thanks TMD. Did you try yours on a glow ignitor yet? I put the pin screw back in the front and tried it out. It's front wheel drive as of now. When the rear tire locked up at high speed it had to have taken a gear out of the rear drive in the tranny. I'm going to install my other tranny now I guess. I'll fix the other and have it as a spare or for a track if I can ever find one around here. The bright side is with the stock tranny I can now do wheelies again!!
Old 09-09-2008, 04:57 PM
sb13

NitroV, if you see this I wanted to say thanks for the break in tip. I used that methed as you see and it worked well. I broke in the OS using 2 tanks of fuel!
Old 09-09-2008, 05:34 PM
TMaxxDriver

well i havent used the ignitor thing... but you, and a few others have mentioned it.. seems like i should try that... its turning over, has compression and everything, but NO spark... thanks for the advice!!! keep up the good work on yours, hope all is well!!!
Old 09-09-2008, 05:45 PM
sb13

I'm changing the tranny now. Try that ignitor and let me know if it works. The wife just got home so I took a break from the Revo for a few.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:46 PM
matts6887

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, if u haven't gotten one or tried a ignitor yet, I suggest u get one because imo it will do much better job of heating the plug than the blue wire does, as the blue wire is not the most reliable system in the world...
Old 09-09-2008, 07:20 PM
sb13

I'm not using it either on my OS. I changed the tranny and all is good. I forgot how much fun it is doing wheelies! I like it better as of now without the center diff but then again I'm not racing. The OS seems to be strong. I adjusted the needles some more tonight and all looks good. It's running around 240 right now. I turned the motor over to BDC to let it cool off and it did'nt feel like I had much pinch. After it cooled I pulled the plug and put after run oil in it and spun it back to BDC and it felt like it had a ton of pinch. The plug was'nt super snugged so I wonder if I was losing compression. If so it should really scream the next time out although it did'nt feel that loose. Do you lose some pinch normally when the engine heats up? If so maybe thats what I felt but it was like there was hardly any there at the time.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:21 AM
T-MAXXRich
My Feedback: (1)

sb13 hey man i have a t-maxx that lost the gear in the tranny twice was not a defect but i wont go into that. I replaced the gears with the Robinson Racing steel tranny gears (mid range) so far i like the heck out of them and i can still do wheelies. I also upgraded my diff cups to the nova aluminum diff cups with 10k oil in them. The upgrades are a little pricey but rcplanet has the set for 89 bucks this is just a thought though. And what do you guys mean with the heat cycle method kinda interested on how that works.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:00 AM
sb13

I might take a look at that set of gears and do a rebuild on that tranny. The heat cycle is described in the thread about the OS and THS pipe I think. Page 2 .
Old 09-10-2008, 10:17 AM
matts6887

ORIGINAL: sb13

Do you lose some pinch normally when the engine heats up?
Indeed, I would say that yes, u probably do lose at least a very small amt of pinch when the engine heats up, which is why when its still warm and u turn it over, it sometimes will feel a bit looser than it does when its cold...
Old 09-10-2008, 11:58 AM
NitroVenom

NitroV, if you see this I wanted to say thanks for the break in tip. I used that methed as you see and it worked well. I broke in the OS using 2 tanks of fuel!
Your welcome bro, I would take it easy for a little while on your motor because 2 tanks of fuel isn't enough for break in. You should have at least 7 tanks through it for break in. So I would keep going with some slow running and not so much WOT. With the motor you've got I'm sure you'll be able to wheelie without punching it everytime

Useing an ignitor vs. the blue wire is night and day when it comes to starting. I heard of the next servo you want(Hitec 5955), nd let me just say you'll love that extra torque when you need it. Plus its less weight with only 1 servo.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:23 PM
sb13

Thanks for the tips man. I ran the truck the way the article said to and went through actually a hair over 2 tanks. I have'nt been pushing it too hard yet. When it cartwheeled was about the 3rd fast run on it and I had more fuel burned at that point but not alot. I have had it at WOT but for short periods but I probably should take it easy for another few tanks. It wheelies very easily now..
Old 09-10-2008, 04:29 PM
sb13

Matt, thanks for the input.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:41 PM
matts6887

Matt, thanks for the input.
No problem man! Glad I could be of assistance to ya.(at least I hope I was anyway, lol). And as a sidenote, I agree with nitrovenom; in that hes probably right; u probably should take things a bit easy until u get some more fuel run through that engine, as 2 tanks is definitely not enough fuel for breakin; not even close anyway......
Old 09-10-2008, 06:08 PM
sb13

I agree 100% and thanks. After the heat cycle break in they say that it's ready to tune for the track. That through me a little becouse of how few tanks with through it during break in. I followed the procedure. Ran 3 minutes 5 times. Ran 5 minutes another 4 times. I've read a couple of ways as far as the time and runs go but thats how I did it. I was never in the throttle hard and only hit 1/2 throttle during the last few runs and was easy getting there so I never really used much fuel. That was a little over 2 tanks actually. After that I tuned it a little becouse thats what they said you could do but I never leaned it out for max performance. I ran it easy and slowly started going faster until it cartwheeled. I doubt it's broke in like you guys said but according to the method it should have been unless I'm missing something. I'll take it easy still for a few more tanks. I probably have only 5 through it now total.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:53 PM
NitroVenom

Hey scott, you followed the directions perfectly, I just never liked to believe that you could break in the motor in that short amount of time. So I added a few extra tanks to my cycles. Once I got to the 7th tank I was hitting full throttle, but only for about two seconds. Then I would let off, and I would ease into WOT again. What temps are you running? It must be Sooo tempting to just punch it with that new mill in there.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:08 PM
sb13

Last runs were at 240 for temps. I have'nt punched it out of the hole yet but it is tempting.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:08 PM
matts6887

Last runs were at 240 for temps. I have'nt punched it out of the hole yet but it is tempting.
at this point I bet it is tempting!! but just wait until u get a few more tanks through so that like nitrovenom said, u will have a complete and thorough heat cycling through it...but in any event, from the sounds of it, it sounds like u have a winner on ur hands!! [8D]
Old 09-11-2008, 06:29 PM
sb13

It's raining here right now so no running it tonight. Bummer. I really want to get started on my steering servo upgrade soon. Putting a Hitec 5955 in it. Lots of torque!!
Old 09-11-2008, 06:39 PM
dkastil

240 and not leaned out is to hot. heat cycle is good but you want to take longer then two tanks and cycle it aroiund 200 to 220 if not you are to leen the slower you break in the longer it will last .
Old 09-11-2008, 06:42 PM
sb13

Hey Matt I do want to know about the movement in your front tires if any once you get home but might as well throw it out here and see if anyone can tell me how theirs is.

So to any reading this I need to know how much if any movement do your Revo's tires have if you pull on them away from the truck and push back in. Any horizontal or inside to outside slop sort to speak. Is a little moveent normal or should they not move this way period?
I put the Proline 23mm hubs on mine and it comes with enough washers to put up to 4 of them per wheel. Behind the sheer pin and up against the bearing or between the hub and bearing if that explains it better. I assume they are there to get rid of slop and without them I have alot of movement when grabbing the tire and moving it as described above. I put them in and got rid of all movement but I don't know if I should have very little or none at all. The reason I'm asking is my Revo when braking pulls to the right really bad. I think the right front tire might not be as free as the other side.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:47 PM
sb13

The last tank made the 5th ran and at that point I had leaned it out more. Thats when I saw the 240 temps. During the initial break in I saw the same temps at one time but richened it up a little and lowered the temps. That was a few runs in to it and I had leaned it out a little at that time but again went the other way at that point.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:53 PM
sb13

ORIGINAL: dkastil

240 and not leaned out is to hot. heat cycle is good but you want to take longer then two tanks and cycle it aroiund 200 to 220 if not you are to leen the slower you break in the longer it will last .
I know above I stated it at 240 and put after run in it and was'nt leaned out for max power, I see why you're telling me this after reading that again myself. Hey, thanks for the input. I actually ran it a little richer before putting it away and the temps were down some at that point. It's cool that we have the forums for help and advice. Great tool.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:42 PM
TMaxxDriver

ditto on the forums!! a godsend to me!!

i see what he means about the temp being high, for a new engine... a friend of mine, his 3.3 Revo runs at about 260-275 roughly... my Tmaxx 2.5r runs about the exact same as his 3.3...

also, i have a little play in all of my tires, guessing its normal?? i have bowtie tires, and aftermarket rims, (cant think of brand off hand).. and i have aluminum hexes also.. i asked MATT the other day, if that was normal, but he NEVER answered my question... LoL[:@]

another question Scott.. are there any good hobby shops in your area? as my wife is from Valpo and her family is there, and around there... Might be over in your neighborhood to visit in the near future... was just curious, cuz I know my wife wouldnt be able to answer me!! haha..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.