Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

OS .21 compared to Traxxas 3.3

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 07:57 PM
sb13
My Feedback: (52)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS .21 compared to Traxxas 3.3

Although I've only got one evening on my OS I think it's safe to say I can see and feel the differences between it and the stock 3.3.

1- OS has more low end torque. Still feels like a small block engine, better than the 3.3 but not even close to a Picco or RB on the low end.
2- Less top end compared to the 3.3 but that could very well change after burning some more fuel through it.
3- The 3.3 is responsive but the OS is better yet. The OS just seems to respond a little faster to throttle inputs. I understand the tune could make the difference with any motor but this is how it seems to me.
4- OS starts very fast with no trouble at all from the very first time I tried. The 3.3 was'nt bad but not as good as the OS. Again the tune it has or any engine has of course can make the difference but even really rich the OS fired right up and wanted to run unlike the 3.3 does.
5- The OS I think sounds better on the same pipe (THS) compared to the way the 3.3 sounded.

Just a few observations I made during my short time running the OS today. All and all I say it's a great motor with plenty of power. The price tag is salty in my opinion when you could buy a BB cheaper but it depends on what you want. OS has a great rep which gives you confidence when making your purchase and should last a long time if taken care of.

I used the heat cycle method to break it in and it was my first time doing it this way. It seemed strange or different and at times I felt like I was doing something wrong becouse I'm not used to doing it that way but I did it by the book so I hope for the best. I used tin foil around the head to bring the temp up while on the rich side but that was only for the first 3 minute run and then I removed it becouse I got it too hot at the end of that run. Temps were still good without it for break in but I think the thing to do that I'll do next time is use the foil and richen it up to keep temps where they should be if it gets too hot. I like this method though and think it's the ticket. I'll use it again.
If anyone has thoughts or comments feel free to add them. If you have questions just ask. I mainly just wanted to share my thoughts about the OS and break in.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:46 PM
matts6887

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: OS .21 compared to Traxxas 3.3

Sounds like u got it made there with ur new "powerplant" there Scott; good luck with it man!!! [8D]
Old 09-09-2008, 08:50 PM
sb13

Thanks Matt, I'll run it more tomorrow if I can. I'm a huge fan of BB engines so I hope I don't regret not putting one in it.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:58 PM
matts6887

Nah, I doubt u will regret it; especially because O.S. is known for making quality, and extreme performing engines that are as solid as a rock; imo probably some of the better engines out there on the market today.....
Old 09-09-2008, 09:06 PM
sb13

No doubt about that, I'll know more once I get some fuel through it but so far it pulls hard and sounds good. No overheating problems, I checked it for airleaks before starting it and all is good.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:01 AM
matts6887

ORIGINAL: sb13

No doubt about that, I'll know more once I get some fuel through it but so far it pulls hard and sounds good. No overheating problems, I checked it for airleaks before starting it and all is good.
Cool!! good to hear! and yes I agree that it is probably always a good idea to seal up a engine before starting them for the for the first time; even right out of the box; that way u know u shouldn't have any leaks....
Old 09-10-2008, 11:01 PM
JC2133

just curious to know if you kept the ez start, if not...how are you starting it up, bump, roto or pull start?
Old 09-10-2008, 11:04 PM
sb13

Right now I put the ez start on it but I'll probably install a pull start after I run some more fuel and tune on it. I'm not a huge fan of the ez start system.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:10 PM
JC2133

good job on the write up and comparison. and you're right about the price tag on the os motor compared to some of the bb motors out there. i'm considering picking up this motor too as my lhs store said that it's a direct drop in-no modifications needed. the easier the install...the better. w/ the ez start...did the motor fire up the first time hitting the button or did it take a while?
Old 09-11-2008, 06:12 AM
sb13

It fired up the moment the fuel got to the carb. I used a glow ignitor though and not that blue wire from the ez start system. The OS really is a nice drop in.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:57 AM
Rawlpower

With the OS - can you use the old Revo 3.3 exhaust pipe?
Old 09-11-2008, 10:20 AM
sb13

OS gives you a header with the engine that fits the original pipe from Traxxas. I used my THS header and pipe on mine.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:22 AM
JC2133

ORIGINAL: Rawlpower

With the OS - can you use the old Revo 3.3 exhaust pipe?
i'm sure you could. i was just on the os web site and they had a video of it. and by the looks of the video, they were using the stock pipe.