Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

lsn issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 05:45 PM
mopower2ya

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lsn issues

ok, so i fire the truck up and do the pinch test to get my lsn in the ballpark. truck shuts off right away, doesn't speed up or anything, so its gotta be running lean right? I take the glow plug out and its covered in fuel (too rich). whats the deal? I figure it's on the rich side since the carb is at factory settings but why does it just shut off right away during the pinch test??
Old 09-11-2008, 05:54 PM
matts6887

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: lsn issues

Sounds like it could be a touch too rich; especially since u said the plug comes out completely wet. Try leaning out that needle the very slightest amt.(like 1/4-1/8 turn) and see what it does for ya....
Old 09-11-2008, 06:03 PM
t-maxxmaniac

hmm..shuts off instantly? sounds like its to rich....it would burn the fuel in the lines very fast...and might not speed up because it doesent get a chance to lean out
Old 09-11-2008, 07:20 PM
sb13
My Feedback: (52)

Probably should warm it up before doing the pinch test I believe. Not sure how much if any it will change things. Generally if it dies right away you're too lean and if it revs for more than 3 seconds you're too rich. I would think if you're way too rich on the LSN then it would run longer before finally leaning out, reving and finally dying.
I know you said the plug is wet so you would think rich. Hey Matt, would it just die if it was too rich or would it do like I described above?? You have me thinking now.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:26 PM
mopower2ya

i'm at a loss....i can't keep this thing runnin!!...i get her started. get a couple laps around the parking lot and she dies. after that the plugs wet. and even after i switch out plugs, and dry out the combustion chamber she still won't fire back up. I think that stupid EZ start has sumpthing to do with that though.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:39 PM
DaveG55

The only thing wrong with the engine is that it's not tuned.
The ez-start has nothing to do with how it's running. After the engine starts the ez-start is superfaless. Also doing the pinch test with the needles at factory settings is useless. You have to tune the engine in the proper way to get the proper performance. And, in a nutshell, the proper way is to 1-set needles to factory, 2-warm up the engine 3-tune the hsn, 4-tune the lsn and 5-set the idle. To try to do it any other way is a recipe for frustration.
Here is the Traxxas instructions for tuning, follow them exactly and you will get your truck running fine.
http://www.traxxas.com/support/kb_se...l&cat=0&id=276
Old 09-11-2008, 07:43 PM
sb13

Good advice there Dave. The part about being at factory settings went right over my head.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:44 PM
mopower2ya

i've done that. it won't stay running long enough to tune. I fire it up, run around the lot a few time to warm it up, then IF its still running i'll make a high speed pass. when I bring it in to adjust the HSN it dies, the won't start. I take out the glow plug and its wet. After that its almost impossible to restart, I think its dying because it's way too rich, and i think I can't get it restarted because after I run it rich like that the EZ start won't get the glow plug hot enough to restart the engine.....am i way off base here or what????
Old 09-11-2008, 07:47 PM
TMaxxDriver

good advice there Dave... i found that out the hard way a few days ago... now i got her tuned in perfectly!! just need to make minor adjustments according to temperature outside, but other than that, my 2.5r is running like a champ right now...

mopower2ya, if you are wondering about the EZ start, get a glow plug ignitor and use that instead of the blue wire being attached to the plug... i got an ignitor for mine, for 10 bucks, cuz i couldnt get the darn thing started for the life of me... ended up being the blue wire is faulty... and i got that advice from a few nice guys on this very forum!!

good luck to ya, and i hope you get it running to your expectations... take the advice of dave, as it will definitely work!! been there, done that!!
Old 09-11-2008, 07:50 PM
mopower2ya

yea, i know that the engine isn't tuned right. just can't tune when I can't start. gonna get a glow stick tomorrow and try that. If that fails maybe i'll see if my revo can fly instead of drive, I've about had it.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:04 PM
sb13

Stick with it and you'll get it going. It does get frusturating as heck at times as we all know but don't give up on it. Not sure if you mentioned it but how old is the engine?
Old 09-11-2008, 08:07 PM
mopower2ya

no clue. I bought this truck used from the guy at my local hobby shop. He ran a quart through it but he got it used too. it does have good "pinch" though
Old 09-11-2008, 08:10 PM
TMaxxDriver

could be an air leak?? could be many things... something with the EZ start... hopefully its not the piston/con rod...

someone mentioned to me, when mine wasnt starting, that you need Air, Fuel, and Fire... if you dont have 1 of those, you wont start... so check fuel lines, air filter, and try getting a cheap glow ignitor (thats what i did, and that was my problem)... Either way you go, good luck, and don't give up on it!!

If ya do, I'm open to donations on any sort of Revo!! Fly it on my way!! LoL... good luck man!
Old 09-11-2008, 08:14 PM
mopower2ya

fixed all air leaks. gonna try ignitor and leaning it out a bunch from factory settings tomorrow
Old 09-11-2008, 08:18 PM
sb13

So you did have air leaks. I've not dealt with them myself, yet, but I hear they are no fun.. Sounds like you're on your way so keep it up and keep us informed on the progress. Good luck.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:20 PM
TMaxxDriver

just an idea... could be something with the EZstart... or the fact, that it might just be too rich... let us know, what you figure out tomorrow!
Old 09-11-2008, 08:22 PM
mopower2ya

will do, thanx for all the suggestions!!

Old 09-11-2008, 08:38 PM
madmax93

I dont know if this helps but I was having an issue with my engine, it would start then die and would not start again
so what I did was turn the LSN out 3 turns from closed and it started right up and stayed running.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:13 PM
matts6887

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, just keep at trying to get the problem licked man!!! u will get it eventually! I would try putting in a fresh plug, leaning it a bunch from stock settings like u already mentioned; and just keeping at it man...
Old 09-11-2008, 10:56 PM
dkastil

i got a truck like that on ebay i changed the tank sealed the engine and nothing i could do would get it to run good and i know how to tune , you can think you have pinch even if id is hammerd out when it is cold , i went and changed the sleeve and piston and it runs like a charm . you can ebay one for about 35 for that engine i found one for a guys 3.3 for 40 last month .
Old 09-11-2008, 11:03 PM
mopower2ya

yea, I don't really wanna drop much into this truck. I plan on building up ground up revo this winter starting with a 3.3 chassis, picco engine, and all the after-market parts my hobby fund (300 month) can afford. but I would like to figure this one out so my g/f's kid can beat the bejesus out of it at least.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:19 PM
mopower2ya

well, got my glow ignitor, fired up the truck and started to tune. had it running nicely at one time, good blue smoke, temps were 230. Then it shut off and siezed up. piston is siezed to the sleeve... I think i'm done with this hobby,....anybody want to buy a revo?..lol
Old 09-13-2008, 07:09 PM
t-maxxmaniac

haha sell it to me for like 60$ and ill take it off ur hands
Old 09-13-2008, 07:13 PM
sb13

Which model Revo is it? Get a motor and start from scratch. These are those ups and downs that come with the hobby but you can overcome them. Don't sell it man but fix it. You'll be happy in the end. Do the Traxxas trade in if you have to and that will get you a freash motor at a decent price. Don't give it up.