Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

shocks for t-maxx

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 08:26 PM
Mxminiracer203

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shocks for t-maxx

i was looking into buying new shocks for my t-maxx. are upgraded shocks even worth buying? if anyone has upgraded shocks let me know if you like them and if they make a difference
Old 09-11-2008, 08:53 PM
cmerritt

Default RE: shocks for t-maxx

new shocks are definitely worth it!!!!

im running 8 Ue supershocks.

ive also heard good things about big bores.

[img=http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/7348/dscf8931yv6.th.jpg]

here is a random pic that shows the shocks.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:01 PM
StemTMAXX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have big bore shocks with a combination of 4 Trinity Heavy Duty Springs (1 at each Corner) and then the Stock Big Bore Springs on the other 4 shocks and 40 weight shock oil with the 3 hole pistons. its awesome.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:32 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Big bores are really nice, *some* upgrade shocks are better than the stockers, though most can be worse. Here is what to look for:

Stay away from Integy/GPM/Team Blue Star/ any of the ebay alum shock sellers. Those will bend and leak like nothing.

Traxxas Big Bores are nice and smooth, not exactly "Big Bore" (in fact they have a smaller diameter than stock), but they are great quality. Everyone who owns UE stuff loves it, but it is super expensive. Pro-line Powerstrokes are a nice set too, but they have been discontinued for some time now.

I recommend going with a 4 shock setup from a truggy, you will have less unsprung weight and less parts to break IMO.

Tom.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:59 AM
Mxminiracer203

i just want some good shocks that when i jump it will be smooth and consistant most of the time. when i hit jumps now no matter what i do it jumps different everytime.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:27 PM
rcdudegermy10

Get yourself 4 1/8 buggy socks, the fronts are the same length as the stocks, and some supermaxx springs.
That's what I'm running, it has to be one of the best set-ups ever, no bouncing, and it only bottoms out at a moderate height,
definitely comprable to my Revo

my gallery has some pics

the stock shocks just didn't do it for me, I popped a couple caps, and they just weren't strong enough for big jumps, they bottomed out wayy to easily
Old 09-12-2008, 12:43 PM
KillerKowalczyk

DONT BUY INTEGY SHOCKS!!!!

Buy the Traxxas Big Bores, fill with 55weight oil (or 60 if you bashin more), and use either brown or blue Integy springs (theyre pretty stiff springs). You end up with a truck that has the proper right height, the ability to corner and take jumps better, but still articulate very well when moving slowly over big bumps or rocks. all around good setup, much better than stock.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:22 PM
T-MAXXRich
My Feedback: (1)

i bought the hot bodies adjustable aluminum shocks and run 4 white dual rate springs on the outer four corners and the stock springs that came with the shocks on the inside 4. Filled up with 50 weight oil and have yet to break or bend any of them out here in iraq. But if you buy aluminum shocks take some thread tape and wrap the thread for the cap before you put the cap on so it has a better seal. And if something is wrong with your shocks just email hot bodies and they will send you new ones at no charge. I had two that were leaking and they told me the thread tape trick and it stopped them from leaking but they still sent me eight new shocks. But i didnt complain one bit lol.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:50 AM
power454

I took 2 dark blue springs (extra stiff) and put them in the very back position and I have black springs in front of them and in the very front and stock red springs in the back set of front shocks. The dark blue springs keep the rear from squatting when you really hit the gas so you get more power to the ground. The only downside is keeping the front wheels on the ground is a lot harder. I've had a lot of luck with this setup because it's not too stiff and it's not to weak. I use my truck for a lot of hard core bashing and never had any problems!
Old 09-13-2008, 01:34 PM
Mozez

I think my T-Maxx 3.3 (4908) is too soft in the rear. When I accelerate it bogs down too much.
I have all original, incl the biggest pre-load spacers that was mounted at delivery.

I want it more stiff then it is now, but I still want to be able to bash and make some 2 foot jumps (nothing huge).
How do I do that? Stiffer springs? Thicker oil in the dampers?

I would highly appreciate links to maybe harder springs, not just names.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:28 PM
clshades

I blew the cap off one of my rear shocks and the oil got everywhere... i'd suggest the metal shocks w/ thread tape. I'm picking some up next week myself.

A question about shock setups tho... do you guys offset the shocks at all? I mean on the same tower so the rear-rear ones at one seting and the front rear ones at a different settings?
Old 09-13-2008, 10:11 PM
power454

"A question about shock setups tho... do you guys offset the shocks at all? I mean on the same tower so the rear-rear ones at one seting and the front rear ones at a different settings?"

I don't offset just becuase it affects the ride height and would cause it to probably land funny like it wasn't quite on balance.

"I want it more stiff then it is now, but I still want to be able to bash and make some 2 foot jumps (nothing huge).
How do I do that? Stiffer springs? Thicker oil in the dampers?"

Putting in more spacers is an answer but it's not really the right answer. All you are doing by adding spacers is compressing the spring so that you get a stiffer/harsher ride. It doesn't really help with the ability to absorb landings more. Stiffer springs (like the dark blue or black color) will help with the landings and make the back end of your truck squat down when you really launch it from a dead stop. I have 2 dark blue springs in the very back and 2 black springs in the next ones forward. Thicker shock oil and upgraded shocks will also help. Make sure that your shocks are bled also after you fill them otherwise you will have air pockets that will compress and give you a spongy kind of ride.