Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Engine to fit 2.5 Maxx ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 12:36 AM
TMaxxDriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine to fit 2.5 Maxx ???

I'm looking for a decent engine to replace my 2.5r in my Maxx when it dies... I wanna spend approx $200-$250 max... including a mount for it. I wanna go with small block, something that would be a direct drop, with good power, low end, and high end. I can consider big block, if it doesnt require alot of extra stuff...

I was thinking about the Picco .26 Max Red Dot, but hear that they are a pain to tune.. Only having a small window where its tuned just right...

What about something OS... direct drop... not too expensive... I'm open to any ideas... would like low end power, wanna be able to wheelie on demand and just a strong runner... Not necessarily interested in racing...
Old 09-12-2008, 12:58 AM
ridikt

Default RE: Engine to fit 2.5 Maxx ???

the o.s .18tm and .21tm are good engines. ive run the both on my t-maxx. if you can find the .18 i would probably say go for it since your not wanting to spend over $250. but if you want to spend just a little bit more get the .21 its a very good engine. you might be able to look around and find a .21tm for alot cheaper then from a store. i got mine off ebay for $170. brand new in box, but had to wait 2 weeks cause it came from over seas.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:29 AM
sb13
My Feedback: (52)

TMD, I would also look on ebay like ridikt said. I see them there but you might have to wait until you see one for the money you want to spend. Keep looking.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:26 AM
matts6887

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If ur gonna consider a big block, I would say consider the O.S. .21tm simply because u are gonna get a bit more torque out of it due to bigger displacement(If Im not mistaken)....
Old 09-12-2008, 10:58 AM
sb13

The OS .21 is actually considered to be more of a mid-block than big block. I like mine so far but I'm kind of thinking Picco next time.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:09 AM
matts6887

Well, the only disadvantage, and problem with picco's(well it can be if ur not experieced enough at it) is the fact that they have a very narrow "tuning window"; which means it makes it that much harder to find that "sweet spot" when tuning, as turning the needle even the slightest amt. too much one way or the other can set it too lean or too rich....
Old 09-12-2008, 11:38 AM
sb13

I hear that alot Matt but I think I'd try it out anyway. I believe I could tune one but you never know until you try I guess. I could be cursing alot trying.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:46 AM
matts6887

But bear in mind that, in the end...u might be kicking urself and saying to urself "what the heck was I thinking by getting this engine......DOH!!!! lol
Old 09-12-2008, 12:35 PM
sb13

You're right about that, that would be a bummer.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:28 PM
TMaxxDriver

yeah Matt keeps telling me NOT to get the Picco, the whole small 'tuning window' thing.. I think i might go ahead and get it anyway... He must just be jealous! hehe..
I think that it might be my best bet according to 'direct drop', i dont wanna do a whole lot of modifying to make it work...

another one i am thinking about is the OS .21 TM.... i guess i will keep doing some research, and see what one i wanna get... would the OS .21 TM be a direct drop for me? i have the 2.5r maxx... not the brand new one, but not the old one... I am going to try to get some pics on here soon...
Old 09-12-2008, 06:36 PM
sb13

TMD, Mine was a direct drop in but mine is the longer 3.3 version. Just post a thread asking about your truck and the Picco specifically and see what people have to say. You might need to upgrade some paets in the drive train so it holds up to all of that Picco massive torque. My next engine will be the Picco, I might even go ahead and do it after running some more fuel throught the OS .21TM. I love the power of a big block. I had the RB 323 and it comes with the mount, exhuast so it drops in but you have to really work on your linkage set up to get full throttle out of it. The newer RB 523 would be the RB engine of choice as far as RB engines go and they are full of massive power. When I installed the 323 it was in a 2.5 Revo a few years ago but it tore up three trannys on my truck. You would want a foward only set up for that and the Picco I'm sure.
BTW, the small tunning window does'nt bother me becouse I can tune pretty good and if I don't hit it right off the bat it will just become a challange and a learning experience that I'm will to take the time to learn if needed. I think it's the ticket for huge power. My RB 323 would flip the truck over while running in second gear and letting off the throttle and hammering it back to full throttle. Can't beat the big blocks in my opinion for all around running and bashing.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:44 PM
TMaxxDriver

agreed on that... i have tried posting about what truck i have, and to see what i would need to do if i got the picco, but havent really gotten any solid answers out of anyone... guess i will keep researching and see what i come up with...

by the way, i posted about 6 pics of my truck on another thread, title ' lets see your modified tmaxx', if you wanted to see what my setup looks like.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:31 PM
TMaxxDriver

basically what im looking for, is someone that may have experience with the same body/chassis that i have.. and what motor they have upgraded to... obviously its not the brand new maxx, but its not the old one either... and at this point, some people may have bought engines that are now discontinued... im looking for something out now, that would be a direct drop... not requiring a whole lot of modification to make it work... im sure i may have to do something to the drivetrain, to accomodate the increase of torque/power, because i only have the puny 2.5r... but i give it credit, its a strong runnin 2.5, and has gotten the front wheels off the ground recently, not riding wheelies, but at least getting the wheels off the ground...

any and all input/experience would be greatly appreciated!!! thanks in advance!!
Old 09-12-2008, 10:53 PM
sb13

I had the original Maxx that was the 2 wheel drive version years ago. I upgraded it to 4 wheel drive and became a believer in them really fast after that. My Maxx would pull wheelies like mad though even after the 4 wheel drive was installed. It was an awsome truck and was my first nitro truck that I bought. If you like wheelies, more low end and so on change the spur gear and go up one size and that should help. I personally prefer more low end than top speed. More fun for bashing.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:28 AM
dirtpile

If you like the 2.5R, why not stick with it?
The easiest option would be to rebuild it or trade it in for a new one. Or trade up to a 3.3.

But if you want something different you could look on eBay for and .18TM.

There is another O.S. you may want to look at The [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHLV9&P=SM].18TZ-TX[/link]. It has a standard crank so you'll have to trim it and use [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0095p?FVPROFIL=++&FVSEARCH=4144]PN. 4144 [/link] clutch adapter and since it's also rotary carb you'll need a [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0095p?FVPROFIL=++&FVSEARCH=4968]PN. 4968[/link] linkage set to make it work. Or find some good stiff wire (music wire works well) to make a new throttle link.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:02 AM
sb13

TMD, I have my original 3.3 still if you want it. It was running fine when I removed it.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:43 PM
Thunderbird93

I agree with sb13. I have the Sirio .23 version of the RB523. I've had my Sirio for 4 years and I've ran the mess out of it and it still has a good pinch and it still runs great.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:06 PM
TMaxxDriver

sb13, i would be more than happy to take it off ur hands... just let me know more details when you can! many thanks scott!!!!
Old 09-13-2008, 04:33 PM
dkastil

if you dont get a picco red dot witch os only 200.00 i would get a .18 tz 5 port over the tm it has more power then the tm .21 ,i know the tm is a drop in but you can make the .18tz work and you can get one from omni or tower for about 180 and usaly tower and omni have 15 to 25 off on orders over 150 omni also has free shipping i got my tz for 164 shipped and i am in state so that is with tax also i was going to get another tz for my revo but the picco at 2.7 hp and 200 bucks is a half hp more then the tz and va sthe tm s 1.6 hp and 1.8 hp .21 .dont worry about tuneing you can do it it is not that hard a safe ritch tune on a picco will crush a lean tm ,I run my read dot on 30% odonnell ritch and it is retarded fast and wil last no need to tune it to the lean edge when you have so much power i do the same thing with my tz and it is a killer . i almost forgot teh picco uses teh stock traxxas clutch and you can use the easy start with it or a pull start .
Old 09-13-2008, 04:42 PM
TMaxxDriver

thanks for that info dkastil... i REALLY wanna go Picco, but Matts6887 keeps trying to steer me towards the OS... i am looking for someone with experience with the Picco, like you have stated... thanks a bunch!! i am already leaning toward Picco, but money is tight at the moment, so i gotta keep runnin my 2.5r for the time being...
Old 09-13-2008, 04:52 PM
dkastil

if you plan on getting a new motor soon why not mod your 2.5 a bit and seal it , check this out it is free and if you fry your motor you are getting a new one and lets hope you will get 20 to 30% more power and last till you get a new engine .

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5226191/tm.htm
Old 09-13-2008, 05:10 PM
TMaxxDriver

thanks for that link... seems like a pretty interesting idea.. and what do i have to lose by doing it?? i have a really good dremel, and every bit imaginable... so what the HEY... i might consider that... i will try doing it to my 2.5r.. and im still looking into getting a new engine in the near future... still leaning towards the Picco .26 max red dot... is there a difference in the .26 with the blue head, and the one with the black head?? is the black head the red dot?? or is that the JL??
Old 09-13-2008, 05:16 PM
dkastil

yes thhe blue head has 2.5 hp and revs a few ks lower the black head read dot has 2.7 and revs higher it is moddded a bit the crank is stuffed with epoxy and a few other port and timeing related mods
Old 09-13-2008, 05:23 PM
TMaxxDriver

oh ok... i think the blue head is the .26 max, and the black is the red dot... the one that i wanna get is the black head... it just seems more appropriate... have you ever personally done that mod the the sleeve?? just wondering as to how easy/difficult it would be... thanks again dkastil
Old 09-13-2008, 05:58 PM
dirtpile

I did that on my Pro. 15s. It's not hard but you have to be careful not to touch the chrome plating on the inside of the sleeve.
If you're not comfortable working on the sleeve you can pick up plenty of power without even modding the sleeve at all if there is any overlap in the block (Partially covered ports.) to cut away. It won't hurt to pop the head off and take a look. And since it's got some runtime on it, the aluminum should be stained. Use that as your outline, just try not to overcut it since that can cause fuel to collect. And don't forget to remove the bearings before you start grinding.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.