Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

engine testing? WIth bellcrank pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 10:36 AM
justin_92_92
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine testing? WIth bellcrank pics

Is it ok to bolt a engine to a board or something and run it under no load? I ask because I have an engine that when started revs full bore and it chewed up a spur gear...I want to fix it without any more breaking.

Also, how could you tell if your clutch shoes are bad? The bellhousing is oblong, I noticed...this is probley a bad thing rite?
Old 09-16-2008, 11:43 AM
matts6887

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: engine testing?

Well, I would say it sounds like something could be up with ur clutch shoes, but, a picture or 2 of the actual clutch shoes that are in question would help to determine things easier. As for whether or not its a good idea to test a engine NOT under any sort of "load", well personally imo, no its not a good idea to do that, especially if its able to "free-rev" like that becauase letting a engine do that can damage the connecting rod due to it being under stress...
Old 09-16-2008, 11:53 AM
DaveG55

It's not a matter of opinion. Running an engine, any engine really, without some kind of a load is bad, no - very bad for the engine. Doing so is a real good way to have a runaway and totally destroy the engine.

As for your clutchbell, yeah, oblong is bad.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:25 PM
justin_92_92

Thanks for the heads up guys..Yeah i dont want to ruin this motor, if it isnt already. But mostley I want to be safe.

The bell is oblonged and not sooo smooth on the inside wich I believe it should be. These are the pics I took. If you need any other shots please let me know and I will get them.

But the clutch shoes and the bellcrank would have nothing to do with the engine reving out to max rite? I have no clue the factory needle setting so i am just guessing where it should be. Kinda trying to keep it rich. Its a tawain GO .18 its a no namer.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:03 PM
matts6887

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those clutch shoes look ok to me, as long as the spring that goes around the 2 shoes is fairly tight, then it should be fine....if the spring is kinda loose, then u probably should replace the spring....
Old 09-16-2008, 05:43 PM
dkastil

Default RE: engine testing? WIth bellcrank pics

this might sound dumb but check your idle screw you only want about 1 mil give or take and you say you are running ritch , but if the low speed is lean it will rev verry high at idle, one other thing is if you have a air leek it will give you a artificial lean situation because of the air getting in , and you stated that the bell was oblong so it might have been in a big impact so a berring might be torked a bit letting air in the engine .
Old 09-16-2008, 07:06 PM
justin_92_92

Yes it actually was in a big impact. This thing went full bore through a few yards and rested in a small pond. I also did find an airleak in the copper glow plug gasket. I would love to test this thing out again with the idle screw adjustment but fear I will break another part. And this is a no name truck where parts are not easy to come by. The bellcrank is alot bigger than any traxxas one I have seen and the stock part is backordered.

This is why I wanted to try running the engine with no load (Bech test) so i dont break anything else.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:42 PM
DaveG55

Then figure a way to bolt an airplane propeller to the crankshaft. That's the usual way a load is added to a bench tested engine. And when you start it, be ready ahead of time to shut it down in a hurry - if need be.

Oh, and if you do try it - BE CAREFUL