Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

TEMP PROBLEMS HELP!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 07:44 PM
nitrorevo33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TEMP PROBLEMS HELP!!!!!

Hello again. I just bought a traxxas temp gauge. So far I am not happy. The first run I did with it on it said my max engine temp was 400 F!!!!!!! I said to myself, this CAN'T be right at factory break in settings. [sm=eek.gif] When I just turn it on after it has cooled off and it shows the temp when i shut it off and then goes to the curent temp. When I breath on it it still shows the same temp for 10 secs. and then changes. What do I do???? Can you calibrate these things? Do I just have a default gauge?

I wonder if I have the probe in the right place[sm=50_50.gif] any pics on that will be AWESOME

Please help me ASAP
Old 09-16-2008, 08:36 PM
matts6887

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: TEMP PROBLEMS HELP!!!!!

Well, from what I do know and understand about the temp gages; u are suppose to put the probe around the bottom most heatsink(if I remember correctly, someone else correct me if I am wrong please and thx)....
Old 09-16-2008, 10:52 PM
1FastGT

Yeah, bottom fin on your heatsink is where I've always put the probe...I would recommend the MIP temp gauge though, it's pretty nice, and there's no hesitation like what you're talking about. I dunno about the Traxxas one though.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:42 AM
JLRevo

Raytek is a great hand held temp gun. They start at about 50 bucks and go up but you can shot the beam from about 3 feet away and its accurate to +/_ 2 degrees. My friend has one and his is horrible. Its alway off by 20 degrees compared to mine. Mine has a max temp hold and backlight. If I was you I'd sell it and spend an extra 30 more bucks and get a better quality temp gun from a company thats been doing it for years. You will get close to what you spent on the temp gun when its time to sell it. Go into any HVAC or automotive store and they will recommend Raytek.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:48 AM
matts6887

ORIGINAL: kasarn

Raytek is a great hand held temp gun. They start at about 50 bucks and go up but you can shot the beam from about 3 feet away and its accurate to +/_ 2 degrees. My friend has one and his is horrible. Its alway off by 20 degrees compared to mine. Mine has a max temp hold and backlight. If I was you I'd sell it and spend an extra 30 more bucks and get a better quality temp gun from a company thats been doing it for years. You will get close to what you spent on the temp gun when its time to sell it. Go into any HVAC or automotive store and they will recommend Raytek.
I definitely agree on this; as I have 2 rayte temp guns and I love them both; they both have laser sighting and the like and so far they seem to be pretty accurate from what I can tell. Personally I too would recommend a temp gun over a temp gage because it seems that the temp guns are a bit more accurate then the gages are....
Old 09-17-2008, 02:05 PM
rcdudegermy10

I use a duratrax temp gun, cost me $20, and works great as far as I can tell...

You should be able to tell how hot your car is w/o using a temp gun, just by how it runs: does it bog, have erratic idle etc etc
Old 09-17-2008, 02:19 PM
westphill24

Odonell temp gauge 25 bucks and works great. Sorry i cant help with your problem but if you can take that one back and get a different one.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:38 PM
DaveG55

Temp guns are far more versitle than the onboard gauges are. I've never really liked the on-board kind for several reasons but the biggest one was not being able to use it on several vehicles. When you've got a dozen or so R/C's buying individual gauges would get expensive - fast.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:02 PM
dkastil

the one big positive of a gauge is you get the max temp durring the run witch is most the time 20deg over what it reads when you pull the car in and test ,it is true that most onboard gauges are low quality i turn mine on and off when it fritzes out it seems to help and it is good to change the battery often it fritzes out more on a low batery ,I have a venom temp and voltage failsafe that runs off the rx battery and it is great but it does not work with my 3pk in hrs mode to have a fasst system and over 350 in servos and not run hrs is a crime ,but hands down it is a great unit if you do not run in hrs it will save you from blowing up your engine .
Old 09-17-2008, 04:31 PM
t-maxxmaniac

i have heard that about traxxas temp gauge, a guy that races at my local track with me also said the taxxas 1 would say 400 but when he touched it it was coool
Old 09-18-2008, 04:43 PM
nitrorevo33

how do you tell which heatsink is the bottom one
Old 09-19-2008, 09:28 AM
nitrorevo33

anyone???? HELP
Old 09-19-2008, 09:37 AM
matts6887

Just look and see where the bottom of the heatsink stops where its connects with the top of the crankcase. Then look for the very bottom most fin and attach the temp probe there....
Old 09-19-2008, 08:41 PM
nordstuff
My Feedback: (2)

The probe should also be at 90 degrees from the exhuast port and on the lower most fin of the heat sink as stated above
Old 09-20-2008, 11:53 AM
GreenRacer
My Feedback: (3)

Non-contact thermometer pointed down at the glowplug will give you the best result.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93983 <- these are usually on sale for $9.99 in the stores.

Find a harborfreight store near your house.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:17 AM
DelGatoGrande
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: nitrorevo33

Hello again. I just bought a traxxas temp gauge. So far I am not happy. The first run I did with it on it said my max engine temp was 400 F!!!!!!! I said to myself, this CAN'T be right at factory break in settings. [sm=eek.gif] When I just turn it on after it has cooled off and it shows the temp when i shut it off and then goes to the curent temp. When I breath on it it still shows the same temp for 10 secs. and then changes. What do I do???? Can you calibrate these things? Do I just have a default gauge?

I wonder if I have the probe in the right place[sm=50_50.gif] any pics on that will be AWESOME

Please help me ASAP

just fot the record for future search in this case 99% the thermo coupler got damaged and needs a new one

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8402166/tm.htm
Old 01-28-2009, 08:06 AM
motormouth27

Thats what I got never had a problem with it but I got a extra 1 just in case
Old 01-28-2009, 12:05 PM
matts6887

That is why, I always prefer the temp guns to the temp gages; because like i said before Ive got 2 temp guns from raytek and I really like them both a lot; both are very very accurate for the most part(at least it seems like they are so far) its also why I dont really trust temp gages to be all that accruate becauase they seem to have these "problems"....just my .02 here....
Old 01-28-2009, 04:05 PM
gettnbetter

The [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEMG5&P=ML]Duratrax[/link] temp gauge is 100% accurate every time. Cheap and super tiny. I have never needed to calibrate it or anything and I've compared it to professional units and it's spot on as far as accuracy. Just point the sensor at the glow plug, press the button and whallah!
Old 01-28-2009, 08:35 PM
Smiff 24

ORIGINAL: GreenRacer

Non-contact thermometer pointed down at the glowplug will give you the best result.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93983 <- these are usually on sale for $9.99 in the stores.

Find a harborfreight store near your house.
I bought this very one at our local harbor freight and AFTER I bought it realized it only goes up to 230 deg.