Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

picco red dot arrived today

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 08:52 PM
sb13
My Feedback: (52)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default picco red dot arrived today

My Picco came today!! All right... I have the engine, motor mount and 3 spare OS glow plugs. the bad news is that my basement flooded with that wicked rain we had a few days ago and I've taken time off work becouse of it. So far my brother and I have roto tilled one area of my yard and re did the grade and planted sod. We have totally moved all landscaping around the entire house and re did it to push more water away from the foundation and now tomorrow we are replacing one gutter and adding in a new one. After that we are pouring concrete from the foundation to the patio since water came in through that 5 inch area thats expossed. After this is all finished I will finally get to work on my Picco set up and I CAN'T WAIT!!!! I'll seal the entire engine as a precaution measure and then check for air leaks before I fire it up to be sure all is good. For break in I'm thinking of doing the heat cycle method again. Heck my OS TM .21 I just installed and it's not even totally broke in yet but thats cool becouse I love me a big block!! TMD, I have your 3.3 ready to ship and it is for sure going out tomorrow. I'll send it priority mail so you should have it within 3 days from tomorrow I imagine. I'm pumped now but only wish I could work on it now but my house has to come first. Bummer man.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:01 PM
TMaxxDriver

Default RE: picco red dot arrived today

you LUCKY boy you!! Thats awesome to hear that you finally got that POWER HOUSE!! [sm=punching.gif] Good luck with it Scott, and keep us (ME) posted on how things go, when you get to start the break in process... [sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 09-16-2008, 09:05 PM
sb13

I will TMD but I have a feeling it's going to be several day before I can really concentrate on the Picco set up. I hope my drive train holds up to it. Others have said they have had no problems and some have. If I do I'll be upgrading anything needed until it's all good.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:08 PM
Revomad1

I want to see a video of that thing at peak RPM's!
Old 09-16-2008, 09:08 PM
TMaxxDriver

understandable... i know you got things goin on over there at your house with what Mother Nature has handed us... I hope all is going well with you 'excavating' hehe..

its like i am totally excited for you, because you got a picco!! i wanna see pics/vid if possible of you running it, or pics when you get it all together...
Old 09-16-2008, 09:12 PM
sb13

The one thing I don't have is a video camera. I've always wanted one but my wife has never bothered getting me one for my B-Day or Christmas. Heck, I might just have to buy one myself the way it's looking.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:14 PM
sb13

Do you guys think I should install the ez start for break in since I'll most likely have to be starting it alot until it's tuned or go straight for the pull start?
Old 09-16-2008, 09:17 PM
Revomad1

I just use a Canon digital camera in video mode. It actually works really well and you can get a digital cam pretty cheap now. Unless you're shooting hours of footage, you don't really need a video camera.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:19 PM
sb13

My Kodak shoots video but I think it's very short video footage. I've never tried it out.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:23 PM
matts6887

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: sb13

My Picco came today!! All right... I have the engine, motor mount and 3 spare OS glow plugs. the bad news is that my basement flooded with that wicked rain we had a few days ago and I've taken time off work becouse of it. So far my brother and I have roto tilled one area of my yard and re did the grade and planted sod. We have totally moved all landscaping around the entire house and re did it to push more water away from the foundation and now tomorrow we are replacing one gutter and adding in a new one. After that we are pouring concrete from the foundation to the patio since water came in through that 5 inch area thats expossed. After this is all finished I will finally get to work on my Picco set up and I CAN'T WAIT!!!! I'll seal the entire engine as a precaution measure and then check for air leaks before I fire it up to be sure all is good. For break in I'm thinking of doing the heat cycle method again. Heck my OS TM .21 I just installed and it's not even totally broke in yet but thats cool becouse I love me a big block!! TMD, I have your 3.3 ready to ship and it is for sure going out tomorrow. I'll send it priority mail so you should have it within 3 days from tomorrow I imagine. I'm pumped now but only wish I could work on it now but my house has to come first. Bummer man.
U lucky lil devil u!!!! i wish I had the $ to get a new engine!! let us know how break in goes once u do it. For breakin i would follow the instructions that come with the engine to a T. but thats just me; however heat cycle is another method u could goto.....either way u choose good luck with it man!!!! [8D]
Old 09-16-2008, 09:37 PM
sb13

Thanks Matt, The heat cycle method seemed to work out well but it feels strange doing it that way becouse it's not what most of us know as far as break in goes so you feel like you're doing something wromg although you're not. I'm not sure I had it down to a science although others told me that i did it right. I'm just not sure which route to go. You have the big dogs who race saying it's the only way to do it but I feel good about doing it by the book so I'm still not sure. I'm far from that so I'll deal with it when it comes. I'm waiting on my MIP clutch to come still too. I also ordered the piece that goes under the servo save, I forget what it's called but it allows more steering out of it. I also want to switch to a single hitec 5955 with 333 oz of torque for the steering so I might do it all at once which means it will be even longer before it's all ready to break in. Heck by then it might be getting colder out and I'll just run the OS until spring the way it's going as of now....lol I really want to get it together now though.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:07 PM
rcnitrohead

That's great man, I hope you don't strip up your gears and UV's. I'd probably say to install the EZ for now, everyone says the .26's are a mother to turn over (what Picco engine isn't) so I guess unless you'd be pissed at your EZ start breaking down from the pinch, I'd say go for it. I'd also suggest the heat cycle method for break in, in fact many engine manufacturers usually do a lame impersonation of it in the engine manuals but leave it a lot more general than it should be. Just out of curiosity, what does the manual say you should do? The HC has been around for years, I've broken in 3 engines with it and they all run perfect. However, I did a really slow version of the Traxxas break in for my first engine and it lasted almost 9 gallons so I guess no complaining. But 5 tanks for break in is way to steep, I did it over 20 tanks. I wouldn't recommend break in to last less than 15 tanks before any substantial lean outs.

Tom.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:36 PM
NitroVenom

I personally did 12 tanks of heat cycling on my 18tz. 15-20 seemed too much when I was breaking it in and the motor was running to cool for me to keep it at a rich break in setting. I broke it in during the smmer time also, so getting the motor up to around 200 degrees wasn't hard. But keeping it above 220 was..
Old 09-16-2008, 10:46 PM
1FastGT

You're gonna love it man! I'd keep the EZ Starter on for break-in like you said....I should have probably done that.

Have you guys actually seen the manual for the Red Dot?? :P

"Running-in"
"The first time the engine is started it should be used with a very rich mixture setting, basically as rich as the engine will run. Our engines require a running-in of about 10-20 minutes using moderate RPM. During this running-in period a lot of smoke and oil should come out of the muffler, indicating excessive lubrification."

I don't think lubrification is even a word. With mine I've just kept it rich and have made sure the temps are good, and not tried to rap it out too much, seems to be fine. I'm gonna run a few more tanks and then start the real tuning process. I'll get ya a video as soon as I get 'er tuned.

Oh, and I hear ya about the rain, we've had roads wash completely away here...
Old 09-16-2008, 11:59 PM
TMaxxDriver

lubrification..? sounds like a George W. word there... hahahahahaha!

anyway, i would use the heat cycle method too... You used it once on your new OS, so why not try it again, and see if you can 'perfect' it this time... practice makes perfect ya know...? go with the EZstart for the break in, cuz like you said, you will be shutting off/restarting often.. tryin to yank on a pull start may complicate/frustrate things a little..

you can always try to 'recordify' a video with your digi camera, after you break in, so we can see how that kitten purrs!!
Old 09-17-2008, 12:55 AM
1FastGT

ORIGINAL: TMaxxDriver

lubrification..? sounds like a George W. word there... hahahahahaha!

anyway, i would use the heat cycle method too... You used it once on your new OS, so why not try it again, and see if you can 'perfect' it this time... practice makes perfect ya know...? go with the EZstart for the break in, cuz like you said, you will be shutting off/restarting often.. tryin to yank on a pull start may complicate/frustrate things a little..

you can always try to 'recordify' a video with your digi camera, after you break in, so we can see how that kitten purrs!!
hahahahahaha
Old 09-17-2008, 06:16 AM
sb13

I'll see how it goes when I get to it. Heat cycle it is and the ez start will be used at first. I'll let everyone know when I do get a chance at it. My new spur and clutch bell has been shipped now to. George W...lol
Old 09-17-2008, 09:00 AM
TRIPC

Hello. Im about to get a Red Dot and have a question. If I want to run the easy start do I have to get a new one way and back-plate? Or can I use what comes with the Picco and whats left of the easy start??

Thanks
Good luck on the break in!!
Old 09-17-2008, 10:43 AM
Revomad1

The EZ start and stock OWB are a direct fit on the Picco .26 maxx engines.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:05 AM
sb13

The Picco comes with a pull start. I believe the ez start will bolt right on but I have'nt looked yet but I'm positive that it will.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:18 AM
matts6887

I would say use either method that u think is gonna work for ya; If u think the heat method works which u did on ur o.s.; then go for it doing it that way. if u think the traxxas method works, then shoot go for it. But if it were me and I had 2 engines, one of which was already partially broken in with the heat cycle; then I would use the heat cycle on it....
Old 09-17-2008, 11:39 AM
TRIPC

Ok . I just ordered the Picco. They did not have the mounts for the Revo and the T maxx. Where is the best place to get the mounts. I want both mounts for the Revo and the new T maxx.. Do they make a mount for the Jato? I have one of those too. I want to be able to put in any of the cars..Thanks
Old 09-17-2008, 09:27 PM
sb13

I bought the ofna mount for the revo.