Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

big bore or long bore shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 12:32 AM
power454

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default big bore or long bore shocks?

With all of the offroad bashing that I do I was thinking about upgrading my shocks to aluminum. But I was trying to figure out whether the long bore (extended or taller) shocks or the big bore (thicker) would be better for some serious bashing. I have stiffer springs already on my truck and I keep the sprigs set to the middle setting on the a arms at the top and I haven't had any problems but I figured that maybe I could make the a arm hinge pins last a little longer if I upgraded my suspension a little more? As it is i'm using titanium hinge pins and i've bent a few of them already. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-19-2008, 06:23 AM
systemlord

Default RE: big bore or long bore shocks?

The long bore and/or big bore aluminum shocks will absorb more punishment that results from bashing and jumping your MT. You don't want the suspension to absorb impacts, thats the shocks job. If you are bending titanium hing pins then it sounds like your shocks are not absorbing all the punishment. If you do want a better shock, make sure they have a teflon coating shock bodies, there smooth as butter!
Old 09-19-2008, 07:47 AM
larryf333
My Feedback: (2)

I would go with the big bore shocks. Less chance of bending a shock shaft that way and you still get more damping ability to prevent bottoming out. Just make sure they are high quality shocks and you shouldn't have any problems after that. Another tip I'll give you is to polish the hinge pins. They are just the right size to chuck in a dremel. Get some good metal polish, chuck the hinge pins and turn the dremel on high, then use a rag with some polish and shine up the shafts. This will allow the suspension to move more freely so the shocks can do their jobs better and it will also help to keep corrosion on the pins at bay.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:12 PM
systemlord

ORIGINAL: larryf333

I would go with the big bore shocks. Less chance of bending a shock shaft that way and you still get more damping ability to prevent bottoming out. Just make sure they are high quality shocks and you shouldn't have any problems after that. Another tip I'll give you is to polish the hinge pins. They are just the right size to chuck in a dremel. Get some good metal polish, chuck the hinge pins and turn the dremel on high, then use a rag with some polish and shine up the shafts. This will allow the suspension to move more freely so the shocks can do their jobs better and it will also help to keep corrosion on the pins at bay.
People ask me all the time why I polish my hing pins, lol. Then they ask why did I polish my whole SuperMaxx. lol. My driveshafts/CVD's are all 100% titanium, lighter in weight then the stock plastic shafts from Traxxas. My steel pins in the dogbone shafts take almost all the backlash from acceleration, drive cups are made from carbide! Cities use carbide to cut tunnels throught the earth. Wonder why Kyosho's new MP9 doesn't have titanium drivelines?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50190.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	1036435   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36775.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	1036436   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jp32610.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	1036437  
Old 09-19-2008, 09:05 PM
TMaxxDriver

ooooohhhh thats a pretty tmaxx there systemlord... me likey!!!