Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

not shifting ever pics up now!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 03:31 AM
kipstmaxx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default not shifting ever pics up now!!

whats up everybody?!? i have a 2.5 tmax with the 3.3 in it.my tranny wont shift at all.i have taken it apart so many times that iam about to buy a new one.everything from what i can tell is right.nothing binds or is striped.iam totally stumped.the motor runs great makes plenty of power.i bought it off a guy at work and i put a foc in it.

also what would it take to put a big block in it besides the motor mount?
thanks for any info guys...[sm=confused.gif]
Old 09-20-2008, 05:03 AM
RCCanuck

Default RE: not shifting ever

tighten your slipper a bit to see if it shifts......Did you mess around with the shift adjustment screw?

Just my opinion here but its much easier to buy one of the drop in engines available for the Tmaxx....to install a BB you need a new chassis plate,,,,new extended Centre driveshafts,,,,and the mount......Whereas with one of the drop ins the most you need is a mount.......Of course I would sort your tranny issue out first before adding more power to it.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:16 AM
matts6887

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like rccanuck said, I would check ur adjusting screw for the trans to make sure its in the right spot. If I remember correctly, the default position for the adjustment screw is to tighten it all the way then back it out 7 turns. If after doing that it still does not shift, I would also keep in mind that if the hsn is set too rich, it will not allow the engine to gain enough rpms to shift properly....so check the hsn setting..
Old 09-20-2008, 11:19 AM
T.L.A.R. eng

If you go to the Traxxas website and get the trans exploded view, make sure the trans is assembled as shown with the spacers in the correct place.

You haven't specified what gear it is in now, first or second?

Make sure the second gear shift pawl is moving into the center of the second gear drive ring to catch the pins. Make sure the one way clutch isn't locked up, this will prevent second gear operation even though the trans is correctly assembled.

After that what matts6887 said is correct.
Old 09-20-2008, 02:04 PM
kipstmaxx

thanks for the info guys...umm iam pretty sure its in first..i have the slipper clutch tight and the hsn is leaned out..il take a pictures of my tranny and maybe somebody will spot the problem.il try the default setting for the shift points first..i bought this off a guy at work and i think he beat on it before i got it.he never used after run oil in the 2.5.so i had to get a new motor plus all kinds of other parts.i gave 50 bucks for it...what a pain in the butt!!!
Old 09-20-2008, 02:18 PM
T.L.A.R. eng

50 bucks! Not a bad deal! I have yet to see a T-Maxx that wasn't pounded on!! Thats what they built them for! LOL! I drive my three like someone else owns them!

Another thing to look for is the shift adjustment screw/spring/ball assembly. The ball goes in the hole first resting on the shift pawl, then the spring, then the screw. If the spring is put in first it binds the pawl and won't allow it to move freely even though the adjustment is set 7 turns out.

If all else fails, try e-bay for a good used trans. I've gotten good ones for arount $15-20 bucks.

Just athought.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:57 PM
kipstmaxx

ok i just did the 7 turns out and still nothing.i also leaned it out and nothing..i took pics of the tranny hopefully somebody can spot something wrong..only things done to tranny is integy brake kit and racing robinson spur gear/slipper clutch..also slipper clutch is tight so i know the problem is in the tranny...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16373.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	1036878   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92696.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	1036879   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo30863.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	1036880   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr46444.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	1036881   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oa31912.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	1036882  
Old 09-20-2008, 05:50 PM
matts6887

From the sounds of things; u might want to very carefully look over each gear set with a fine tooth comb to see if u see anything that looks out of place or out of the ordinary like missing teeth or any "imperfections" in any of the teeth that could be causing this problem. Because u can probably see it there better than we can over the web; as the gears in the pics look perfectly normal from a "over-the-web" point of view if u will....so like I said, go back and examine everything carfefully and see if u can come up with anything....good luck with it man and post back here with and further possible explanations or pics....
Old 09-20-2008, 06:13 PM
kipstmaxx

i cleaned everything and put the tranny back together.put it back to factory specs,same with the low side and high side back to specs.put fresh fuel in it.warmed it up and now it shifts..yeah!!iam happy now..it could have been a combo of the set screw and hs/ls needles..
Old 09-20-2008, 06:29 PM
T.L.A.R. eng

Default RE: not shifting ever pics up now!!

From the looks of photo # 1, does your truck have oversized tires? That could change its ability to shift as the overall ratio is taller and it takes more power to turn taller tires.

Glad it shifts now, go drive it like most T-MAXX owners, BEAT on it!
Old 09-20-2008, 06:47 PM
matts6887

ORIGINAL: kipstmaxx

i cleaned everything and put the tranny back together.put it back to factory specs,same with the low side and high side back to specs.put fresh fuel in it.warmed it up and now it shifts..yeah!!iam happy now..it could have been a combo of the set screw and hs/ls needles..
Good to hear that u have the problem solved for now!!! Now GET OUT THERE and TEAR UP SOME DIRT!!!! [8D]
Old 09-20-2008, 08:42 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: kipstmaxx

whats up everybody?!? i have a 2.5 tmax with the 3.3 in it.my tranny wont shift at all.i have taken it apart so many times that iam about to buy a new one.everything from what i can tell is right.nothing binds or is striped.iam totally stumped.the motor runs great makes plenty of power.i bought it off a guy at work and i put a foc in it.

also what would it take to put a big block in it besides the motor mount?
thanks for any info guys...[sm=confused.gif]
I helped a friend get his Maxx going, and among other things we were fixing to get it back on the road again, the shift points was one of them. He has had it for some time, and he never adjusted his shift points ever. So, upon inspecting it, somthing I realized is it is not just HPI that makes the shift points too late from the factory, but Traxxas too. My other friends with Revos have to loosen up their shift points out of the box, I guess it;s the factory's way of preventing the RC from jumping straight to top gear during break in.
Old 09-21-2008, 03:52 AM
kipstmaxx

thanks for all the info guys..nah the tires are stock traxxas ones..
Old 09-21-2008, 10:08 PM
TMaxxDriver

I used some of the info I found on this thread and put it to use in my own Maxx... I was reading through this the other day, and then got to thinking about how late my Maxx shifts, so went and adjusted the shift points by just a little bit, and its a huge difference!! I say it all the time but will say it again, I learn something NEW on here EVERYDAY!! Thanks!
Old 09-21-2008, 11:07 PM
kipstmaxx

ha.no problem man