Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

OS .18tz clutch stripping

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 06:03 PM
newgst

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS .18tz clutch stripping

For some reason the piece between the crankshaft and the flywheel keeps on stripping(collet?). I am using the adapter nut with the 40mm flywheel. I went to the lhs and he gave me a slightly thicker one to and it still stripped. I noticed that unlike the trx motors the crankshaft has two notches where the collet would go.

What are you guys using to keep this from happening?
Old 09-24-2008, 06:30 PM
NitroVenom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: OS .18tz clutch stripping

Which version of the 18tz do you have? I have been running my 18tz for about a year now and I never have had this problem.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:45 PM
newgst

I am not quite sure since i bought it used but it has some of the threads chopped off of the front so that the traxxas clutch converter nut can be used. the motor came with both the rotary and the slide carb and also a crankshaft/backplate for bumpstart. this is the crankshaft that is used and that has some threads choppped off of...notice right before the threads the notches cut into the crank that probably explain the stripping?

[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJPZ1&P=7]os .18tz standard shaft[/link]
Old 09-24-2008, 08:16 PM
dkastil

if you are talking the collet the small cone it might be getting stripped because the flywheel could be a little hamerd out get a new flywheel also and when you put it together make shure it is clean ,clean it with brake cleaner and clean the shaft with it also.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:16 PM
newgst

ok i have a brand new flywheel ready to be put on it but i was wondering if this the correct collet to use
[link=http://http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXM719&P=M]hpi collet[/link] or if you guys are using the standard traxxas one.

Thanks again for the quick helpful responses!
Old 09-24-2008, 10:04 PM
NitroVenom

Thats the 18tz-tx version. I have the bumpstart version that uses an SG crankshaft(The clutch fits on it the same way that a stock TRX motor does.) so I never had this problem. Have you tried useing the traxxas collet?
Old 09-25-2008, 08:00 AM
newgst

Tommorow i will try swapping in a new traxxas collet and flywheel. this last collet lasted about 1/2 gallon and the one previously lasted only a few tanks so lets see!
Old 09-25-2008, 11:15 AM
NitroVenom

Good luck with it!
Old 09-25-2008, 04:48 PM
dkastil

this might sound dumb but make shure you use a flywheel wrench and tighten the nut as tight as you can get it without stripping it and do not use loctight.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:54 PM
dirtpile

If your using an HPI collet with a Traxxas flywheel then that may explain your problem. A new collet and flywheel from traxxas should take care of it. If for some reason it doesn't then you may not have enought threads cut off the crank or the collet will need to be shimmed out from the crank.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:57 AM
newgst

Well the first collet i used was a traxxas collet so i tried the hpi collet second and it still stripped. It turned out it was the flywheel! So far so good with a new flywheel and collet! Thanks again for the suggestions guys!
Old 09-27-2008, 03:00 AM
dkastil

i use a ofna with my red dot and a traxxas flywheel i had to take about 1 mil off to make the clutch bell sit just right aganst the spur.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:54 AM
newgst

ORIGINAL: dkastil

i use a ofna with my red dot and a traxxas flywheel i had to take about 1 mil off to make the clutch bell sit just right aganst the spur.
I noticed the same exact thing. the hpi collet actually was about 1 mil to big for the traxxas clutch adapter nut so i couldn't tighten it down all the way