Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Revo 3.3 hates new fuel! Any Clues?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 04:49 AM
tomcatguy74
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Revo 3.3 hates new fuel! Any Clues?

Hey I have a Revo 3.3 and I have had it for almost a year and it's drank about 2 gallons of Traxxas Top Fuel 20%. Well money is tight and I had an almost full bottle of Trinity Monster 20% I used for another HPI truck that I sold and I was running out of the Traxxas fuel. So, I decided to clean out the Traxxas fuel from the fuel system and tried the Trinity stuff. I know you have to retune the engine for a different fuel so I reset all the needles back to factory and began tuning. Well I was getting high performance power out of my HSN and it was at factory settings but the truck was blurbling coming out of a tuning pass like it was starving for fuel!!![sm=confused.gif] I tried to tune the LSN and was not getting anywhere with that either. Temps however never spiked or went above 250* so I don't know. Why was I leaning out so bad AT FACTORY SETTINGS with this new fuel? I know its the fuel because I immediately went back to Top Fuel and retuned and everything was fine again.

Is my engine so used to Top Fuel that it will not accept any other fuel???[sm=rolleyes.gif]
Old 09-25-2008, 05:20 AM
t-maxxmaniac

Default RE: Revo 3.3 hates new fuel! Any Clues?

i have never tryed trinity but i just around feuls all the time......they all work good but byrons is the best
Old 09-25-2008, 08:14 AM
newgst

well you should try richening some. Its a possibility that trinity might have more nitro. Besides when its cold out by me i sometimes have to tune it more turns out then factory stock. Also remember tuning by temp is not the best. Tune by sound and then if still cold wrap some tin foil around the head(in the winter anyways)
Old 09-25-2008, 10:25 AM
T-MAXXRich
My Feedback: (1)

I have not used top fuel since my first nitro vehicle. I use trinity Monster Horsepower 20% and i love it. Byrons is great fuel as along with sidewinder also. But it might indeed mean that your engine was use to Top Fuel. But i am not a pro on this matter.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:34 AM
matts6887

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say keep using the trinity stuff; u may have to make it richer than default settings to start out with. If that does not work; then indeed I would go back to the top fuel because for whatever reason, it sounds as if ur 3.3 for whatever reason is just used to the traxxas stuff....
Old 09-25-2008, 10:36 AM
T.L.A.R. eng

Sounds to me like your Trinity fuel may have been a little old and gone stale. When you switched back to the new fuel again the problem was solved.

I have used Trinity fuels on many occasion and had no problem.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:14 AM
NitroVenom

How long has the trinity fuel been sitting around? Something I have made the mistake of doing many times before was trying to tune the motor before I let it full warm up. Sometimes I would just get excited and just want to run it so I would rush things. So make sure you fully warm up the truck before you run it. Was the motor already warmed up when you switched back to the Top Fuel?
Old 09-25-2008, 11:16 AM
matts6887

Actually, now that I think about it, I have used trinity fuels before as well without any problems; so its gotta be the trinity stuff that like I was mentioned above; has gone bad...
Old 09-25-2008, 01:02 PM
tomcatguy74

Newgst: I used to tune by temps when I was learning but then the awesome people on this forum weened me out of doing that and I just do it by smoke and sound now, I just check temps while it was blurbling because that is a leaning out sound and I wanted to make sure I was not killing the engine.

Matts6887: I had not thought of richening from factory because I always thought going below factory setting would be worse. That might be something to try.

T.L.A.R. eng: I just bought this Trinity fuel about 5-6 weeks ago and it comes in a plastic bottle and I kept it in my garage inside an empty filing cabinet laying on it's side. So it's pretty fresh, looked and smelled clean.

NitroVenom: I was running my Revo around the parking lot and in ditches for about a half hour before I tried the Trinity fuel so the engine was warmed up from doing that. The motor was also warmed up when I went back to Top Fuel. Basically the motor was warmed up the whole time while switching from Top Fuel to Trinity and back to Top Fuel.

What about switching plugs? I believe there is an A3 in there now. Maybe something colder?

I am not sure that I got every drop of Top Fuel out of the system so could cross contamination be a factor?

Mind you I drove the truck around for about 10 mins doing tuning passes so if it was fuel contamination then that would have gone away in just a couple of minutes right?
Old 09-25-2008, 06:45 PM
rcnitrohead

Hey Rob, thats pretty wierd. I run Byrons on my truck, and when I switch to Top Fuel for 2 tanks on my Savage I had to lean it out by a full turn on the HSN... It seems you are having entirely different results[&:]. The plug shouldnt be the problem but I guess trying a hotter one wouldnt hurt. "Contamination" (its not a disease lol) doesnt matter, you can mix the fuels and still have good results plus you definitely ran the Top Fuel out. Keep fiddling with different plugs and settings on the needles, Monster HP should work fine.

Tom.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:54 PM
tomcatguy74

RCnitrohead! [8D]Long time no talk brotha!! Hows it all going?
Hey if I use a "hotter" plug wouldn't that make my situation worse since I am leaning out already? I will fiddle with it but I am afraid I will kill the engine if it keeps blurbling when I tune and do passes.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:35 PM
matts6887

It is possible that is COULD be the the plug; and I do mean POSSIBLY; but I would try some other things first before switching the plugs to something different; such as like I mentioned before; richening the needles PAST break-in settings; because its possible for whatever reason the engine has suddenly become "finnicky" when running on certain fuels, and therefore might only run o.k. when richened past break-in settings.....
Old 09-25-2008, 08:50 PM
BurninValves

How old was the trinity... I have run trinity Monster HorsePower 20% for about 4 years now. No problems
Old 09-25-2008, 09:23 PM
newgst

well RCNitroHead the reason you had to lean it out is because traxxas top fuel measures nitro by volume and byrons does it by weight! Byrons actually has the correct amount of 20% while traxxas has more like 15%. I am not sure if this is the case with trinity but I personally run the monster HP trinity fuel with 12% oil and find it easy to tune
Old 09-25-2008, 11:33 PM
NitroVenom

IDK if this helps but I know Oddonels and Trinity are basically the same fuel. I have noticed that traxxas fuels tend to leave a yelowish stain on engine components where other fuels don't. Maybe you should just run it more rich until you get all of the residue off the motor components, and it should run better from there. TRX fuels have a higher oil content, so of course you'll have to run it leaner when you switch over to a fuel with less oil content. Probably why your running so lean now.

Maybe you should try what you did in the old days when you had tuning problems, just keep running it!!(richer though) Good luck with it!