Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

4-stroke gasser Maxx

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 09:52 PM
T.L.A.R. eng

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4-stroke gasser Maxx

How about a 4-stroke T-Maxx gasser? I have a truck assembled from spare parts and odds-n-ends and am going to power it with a Ryobi 4-stroke weed eater engine.

The engine had dropped a valve and came from e-bay as a parts engine. I have since made new valves for the engine and have it running.

I would like to keep the T-Maxx 2-speed gear box and use rear wheel drive only for now. I have followed the gasser Maxx thread elsewhere on this forum and see alot of good ideas. Most of them are two cycle weed eater engine powered.

I am really set on using the 4-stroke and looking to shorten it as much as possible, so I don't have to lengthen the chassis alot.

With my lightning fast dial up, I can only load one photo at a time before the session times out.

Has anyone else done a 4-stroke Maxx? Any suggestions or comments welcome.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20602.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	1040991  
Old 09-25-2008, 09:57 PM
matts6887

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 4-stroke gasser Maxx

Yes, there is a whole other entire thread on just the subject of a "gasser maxx".I know for a fact its been talked about on these forums before....

Take a look at the following which should help ya out some:

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2893529/tm.htm]Gasser Maxx Link[/link]
Old 09-25-2008, 10:02 PM
T.L.A.R. eng

Here is the poor unsuspecting donor T-Maxx.

Name:	Yv65870.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	1040998  
Old 09-25-2008, 10:06 PM
T.L.A.R. eng

Thanks Matts6887, there is alot of good ideas there, but I am wanting to do one with a 4-stroke.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:13 PM
matts6887

ORIGINAL: T.L.A.R. eng

Thanks Matts6887, there is alot of good ideas there, but I am wanting to do one with a 4-stroke.
Oh....I see....well, try searching these forums to see if there is any other place where its been talked about before, as it is possible, but i havent seen any others myself...
Old 09-25-2008, 10:45 PM
dirtpile

Would that engine even FIT on a Maxx? I kinda remember seeing a four-stroke gasser Maxx once before but I think it was an airplane engine. Try searching the UE forums.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:24 PM
matts6887

ORIGINAL: dirtpile

Would that engine even FIT on a Maxx? I kinda remember seeing a four-stroke gasser Maxx once before but I think it was an airplane engine. Try searching the UE forums.
Actually, so do I, but I don't recall where it was that I saw it....at least not offhand.....maybe try the traxxas forums?? I mean its possible there could be something over there somewhere that has been previously posted.....
Old 09-26-2008, 09:02 AM
T.L.A.R. eng

I did a Google search and only found 4-stroke airplane engine conversions. There are a couple on YouTube, but I haven't seen any 4-stroke weed eater engines converted to a Maxx.

The Ryobi is way too long with the clutch, magneto and pull starter assembled.

I have found this engine runs great on Blue Thunder glow fuel! So now I am going to shorten the crank and downsize the engine as much as possible so I won't have to extend the chassis a ridiculous amount.

Name:	Pn37200.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	1041161  
Old 09-26-2008, 01:58 PM
T.L.A.R. eng

Here is the shortened engine block and motor mount to mate with the Maxx.

I wanted to lay the engine down, but then the weight is all to one side or the other. So I will run it straight up and lower it by doing away with the big bulky plastic oil pan.

As it is, this engine with a clutch is shorter than most two-cycle versions I have seen. I am off to make more parts.

Name:	Wu61010.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	1041288  
Old 09-26-2008, 03:30 PM
yaris

what is the displacement of this engine?
Old 09-26-2008, 04:55 PM
T.L.A.R. eng

yaris, this engine started life as a Troy-bilt TB475SS string trimmer and it is supposed to be 26 cc.

Here is a photo of the shortened crankshaft. I allso made a steel flywheel to match the new taper on the shaft.

Thereis no cooling fan on this engine and I feel one is not needed running on glow fuel. I am counting a little bit on the over engineered factor that most weed eaters have.

Allso the oiling system will be total loss from the glow fuel.

Name:	Lj22239.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	1041358  
Old 09-26-2008, 09:32 PM
dirtpile

My advice: Find a smaller, lighter engine or at least widen and lengthen the truck as much as possible. I've got the feeling that engines weight will be an issue that'll be just as hard to overcome as getting it connected to the drivetrain.

Another note: Get the engine mounted as low as possible. It looks like in that picture that it's mounted on a piece of bent aluminum that puts it entirely above the shock towers, do your best to eliminate that and get the COG down.

Good luck with it either way. I would be pretty cool to see you get it running.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:43 PM
bigairlife

looks like a great project coming along here
Old 09-28-2008, 03:37 PM
T.L.A.R. eng

Here is a brass oil pan made to reduce the overall engine height. I am going to mount the engine as low as possible in the chassis. The rear driveshaft is the limitation on how low it will go.
Originally I wanted to mount the engine on it's side, but that made the weight biased to one side to keep the clutch bell anywhere close to in line with the trans. This engine isn't that heavy and with a longer chassis, it should work out ok. [sm=72_72.gif]

Name:	Ge96363.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	1042506  
Old 09-28-2008, 05:41 PM
matts6887

ORIGINAL: dirtpile

My advice: Find a smaller, lighter engine or at least widen and lengthen the truck as much as possible. I've got the feeling that engines weight will be an issue that'll be just as hard to overcome as getting it connected to the drivetrain.

Another note: Get the engine mounted as low as possible. It looks like in that picture that it's mounted on a piece of bent aluminum that puts it entirely above the shock towers, do your best to eliminate that and get the COG down.

Good luck with it either way. I would be pretty cool to see you get it running.
From the looks of the pictures; u are probably right on the engine weight issue; it does look like it will be hard to get it mount up....