Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

all i have to say is wow

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 09:15 PM
cat samich

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default all i have to say is wow

so i bought an omega picco .21x2 for my tmaxx. i did it spur of the moment at my lhs because it had been sitting there for a while according to there employee. i got a sweet deal on it and it was drop in. well i didnt realize this motor was already 4 years old when i saw it sitting on there shelf.

now for the good stuff, tonight i finally broke it in. after some research i found that its recommended to seal these motors up with rtv before use. i had never been a member of a forum for rc's and thus had never heard this. so i tried it out.

im not sure if its this motor or the fact that i sealed it first..........i have never had an engine that was easier to tune, i have never had an engine that kept said tune so well, i have also never had a .21 engine with this kind of power. i broke it in using the heat cycle method as i always do. and after break in i started tuning it with my trusty heat gun.

as it sits right now i have this motor tuned rich enough that it wont see a degree over 200, even beating on it.

my tmaxx will now do standing back flips! my last .21 maxx had a conversion chassis and an ofna hyper 21. it wouldnt do what this engine is doing. the only thing i can compare it to is my orion .28 wasp in my revo

im running traxxas 20% if that makes a difference(lhs said it was the highest oil content of all the fuels they sell). i read that u want a fuel with a high oil content for break in.(also something i didnt ever do before) so what is it? the engine? sealing it first? better choice in break in fuel?

what shocks me the most is that im using the stock plastic pipe! im gonna need metal gears and shafts to lean this monster out!

any ideas on what i did right? haha.......im excited!
Old 12-07-2008, 10:14 PM
Nmbr1GMfan

Default RE: all i have to say is wow

A higher end engine will run better tune better and hold a tune better than a mill for the masses.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:04 PM
cat samich

ORIGINAL: Nmbr1GMfan

A higher end engine will run better tune better and hold a tune better than a mill for the masses.

i have had a fewer higher end engines though. i ran an rb on my revo for a season and didnt like it as much as this. it came with a pipe matched to the engine as well. not a big deal though, from here on out its piccos for me lolz
Old 12-08-2008, 01:52 AM
fullyford

i have a werks picco .21 and its great, mine runs alittle hot but i am able to control it, what exhaust pipe do you have for it
Old 12-08-2008, 10:02 AM
cat samich

ORIGINAL: cat samich

so i bought an omega picco .21x2 for my tmaxx. i did it spur of the moment at my lhs because it had been sitting there for a while according to there employee. i got a sweet deal on it and it was drop in. well i didnt realize this motor was already 4 years old when i saw it sitting on there shelf.

now for the good stuff, tonight i finally broke it in. after some research i found that its recommended to seal these motors up with rtv before use. i had never been a member of a forum for rc's and thus had never heard this. so i tried it out.

im not sure if its this motor or the fact that i sealed it first..........i have never had an engine that was easier to tune, i have never had an engine that kept said tune so well, i have also never had a .21 engine with this kind of power. i broke it in using the heat cycle method as i always do. and after break in i started tuning it with my trusty heat gun.

as it sits right now i have this motor tuned rich enough that it wont see a degree over 200, even beating on it.

my tmaxx will now do standing back flips! my last .21 maxx had a conversion chassis and an ofna hyper 21. it wouldnt do what this engine is doing. the only thing i can compare it to is my orion .28 wasp in my revo

im running traxxas 20% if that makes a difference(lhs said it was the highest oil content of all the fuels they sell). i read that u want a fuel with a high oil content for break in.(also something i didnt ever do before) so what is it? the engine? sealing it first? better choice in break in fuel?

what shocks me the most is that im using the stock plastic pipe! im gonna need metal gears and shafts to lean this monster out!

any ideas on what i did right? haha.......im excited!

stock plastic poop
Old 12-08-2008, 11:49 AM
matts6887

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like u got pretty lucky, but one thing u might wanna be careful of is the fact that; Picco MIGHT not be making parts for that engine anymore; so if u ever need parts for it, u could be out of luck(sorry to say, but it could very well be true). That and the fact that its 4 years old...well I guess u did good for now, but just remember about the parts thing.....
Old 12-08-2008, 02:10 PM
cat samich

ORIGINAL: matts6887

Sounds like u got pretty lucky, but one thing u might wanna be careful of is the fact that; Picco MIGHT not be making parts for that engine anymore; so if u ever need parts for it, u could be out of luck(sorry to say, but it could very well be true). That and the fact that its 4 years old...well I guess u did good for now, but just remember about the parts thing.....

im not worried about it, i paid 135 for it new in the box if i roach it after 2 gallons i will still feel as though i got my moneys worth
Old 12-08-2008, 02:46 PM
NitroVenom

You should be hitting a lot higher temps then 200F. You need to get it up to 200F just for the heat cycle break in method. Average running temps should be around 220-270F.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:21 AM
cat samich

ORIGINAL: NitroVenom

You should be hitting a lot higher temps then 200F. You need to get it up to 200F just for the heat cycle break in method. Average running temps should be around 220-270F.

i know this, and i did heat cycle at 220 to break in. that wasn't my point in making this thread. i am on purposely running way to rich to calm this thing down. i leaned it out to around the 240/250 degree mark after break in and i couldn't control the truck(it needs tires and it seems as tho it may be twisting the drive shafts a bit). this engine just has too much for stock drive line. after i upgrade my drive line and spend some more time behind the wheel i will start to lean her out.

as previously stated my hyper 21 tmaxx doesn't have **** on this picco powered truck
Old 12-09-2008, 06:27 PM
Thunderbird93

Congrats. Even tho it is a 4 yr old engine it's still a Picco and it's still better than stock. Keep the instruction manual that shows part numbers for engine parts just in case if you ever need something. Nitrohouse might have it. I used the Traxxas 20% to break in my 2.5R and Sirio .23 and after I broke them in I switched to Traxxas 33% and I used the 33% for about 3 years until I switched to O'Donnell 30%. I only always use 20% for break-in.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:49 PM
NitroVenom

ORIGINAL: cat samich

ORIGINAL: NitroVenom

i know this, and i did heat cycle at 220 to break in. that wasn't my point in making this thread. i am on purposely running way to rich to calm this thing down. i leaned it out to around the 240/250 degree mark after break in and i couldn't control the truck(it needs tires and it seems as tho it may be twisting the drive shafts a bit). this engine just has too much for stock drive line. after i upgrade my drive line and spend some more time behind the wheel i will start to lean her out.

as previously stated my hyper 21 tmaxx doesn't have **** on this picco powered truck
Try loosening up the slipper, that will get you more life outta the drivetrain. Running that cold can hurt your motor. Lean it out and loosen the slipper. You should be hittin at least 200F. You should get used to the power soon.