Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

t-maxx turning

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 05:20 PM
clifflivs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default t-maxx turning

I have a new t-maxx 3.3, and lately Ive been playing around at the local track. It does well other than the fact that it will not turn in corners. I have it lowered as far as it will go, and i have stiffened the rear springs, but all it wants to do is just push through the turns. Is this just a common trait for monster trucks, or is there something I can do to make it turn a little better. I have watched other monster trucks of different brands, and they seem to turn at least somewhat well. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

~Thank You
Old 04-14-2009, 07:37 PM
justin_92_92
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: t-maxx turning

Is it stock steering servo?

The truck has no issue turning otherwise?
Old 04-14-2009, 08:21 PM
clifflivs

It is the stock servo, and the wheels have no problem turning. When I enter a corner, I slow down and start turning. When I come out of the turn, and start to give it gas, the truck just pushes straight with the front wheels still turned. This is a setup question not a mechanical problem question. The wheels steer just fine with the servo, I just cant figure out how to keep them on the ground, even with stock tires. I have tried adjusting the slipper clutch, and I lose a lot of jump off the line, and it still doesnt really want to steer very well. Essentially, I want to know if there is a way to make the truck oversteer rather than understeer. I have read that to get traction on the end that you want the traction, loosen that end up and or tighten the other end. Sometimes I cannot even get around turns that are not very sharp at all without having to just about stop, simply because it pushes so bad. BTW I have RPM arms, so I cannot adjust the castor. Maybe Im just expecting too much out of the truck, and maybe I should have gotten a Team Associated MGT instead. Those turn quite well.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:28 PM
justin_92_92

Well dont get me going on the MGT LOL. I love em...I have a older one now (.21) but as of tommorow I will have the 8.0 I sold one to a customer and she asked me to tune it for her....I was very happy with the truck and couldnt help myself. Besides the .21 needed a new piston/sleeve so it is my only choice hehe.

I wish I could help you more on the turning. I dont know what will help you in this case Im sure some of the racers will chime in and give you a hand setting it up.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:05 PM
clifflivs

Yea I dont blame you, they look sweet, but a lot more expensive than my t-maxx.

Otherwise yes I hope one of the racers responds with some advice.

I was told by my local hobby shop to get some bow tie tires. Any suggestions on what to get?
Old 04-15-2009, 04:33 PM
ridikt

you could always put more weight in the front. move your batteries up there or something.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:49 AM
larryf333

Putting extra weight in the front will help some, but it will also slow the truck down a little. What weight shock oil are you running and what springs are you using front and rear? What is the condition of the tires, front and rear?
Old 04-17-2009, 08:27 PM
revo nation

a friend of mine has a t maxx same issues when we looked at the distace the wheels turned as compared to any other truck we have we noticed the t maxx turns way to far the wheels almost 90 degrees to the truck we put stops on the sterring linkage to match the revos turn and it made all the differece
Old 04-22-2009, 02:58 AM
gettnbetter

Throttle control also has a lot to do with this issue. Applying only enough brake to get the car to turn and applying just the right amount of throttle at the right time is the key. But in the end, turning performance is all in the sway bars and unfortunately the Maxx has none.

The RPM arms eliminate caster adjustment, thats true but usually excessive castor is best used on road cars to help the car be less skittish at high speeds (increase the tendency for the car to want to go straight). We control that problem on the dirt with 2 degrees of rear toe-in and 2 degrees of front toe-out.

To reduce push (understeer), decrease the rear sway bar stiffness. To make the car loose (oversteer), increase the front sway bar stiffness.

A slightly loose car is normally faster but requires more throttle control to prevent spinning. Safer and easier to drive setups push a little.

This really illustrates a huge problem the T-Maxx has always had.

There are very few sway bar options for the Maxx.

Best solution I've seen is simply bent up piano wire with some simple hand fabricated mounting plates and brackets. Given the weight of a maxx you'll probably want fairly thick piano wire in the front.

You actually increased the tendency to push by stiffening up the rear.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:29 AM
Novarider

Can you put a center diff in a t maxx?
Old 04-22-2009, 11:26 AM
clifflivs

Two degrees of front toe out? I was under the impression that it was toe in on the front and rear. Well thank you for the input. I recently purchased some pin tires on smaller revo wheels, and they seem to help the turning a bit. It does still push a lot, but I find I can gas it a little in the turns and get the rear end to come around pretty easily. The problem with this is that a little too much throttle, and it goes all the way around. I guess it just takes finess and that is something I havent learnd yet, but I am getting there.