Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

3.3 break-in question

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 09:20 PM
trink2030

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.3 break-in question

I've searched and searched and read and read...a ton of great information, but I can't find one thing I'm looking for. Can I break in my 3.3 revo motor over a couple of days, or is the 15 minutes between tanks necessary and not adjustable? I would like to break it in a tank per day, due to time contraints. Will this be ok?

Thanks!

This is my first R/C truck, switching from airplanes and really excited about it.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:48 PM
bigblock454XXL
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 3.3 break-in question

Yes that would be fine. I had to do mine over a couple days. If you run a complete tank and let your Engine cool down with the piston BDC you will be doing just great. Don't forget teh after-run-oil.
I broke mine in a couple tanks at a time over 3 days and even at 10 tanks the Engine was still coming alive. Just don't forget what tank your on.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:08 AM
DaveG55

The engine does not care how long it takes you to break it in. A day, a week, a month, it does not matter.
As was said, don't forget where you're at in the process - and even if you do, backing up a step or two won't hurt anything. Just try very hard not to skip ahead.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:14 AM
Mr. Mugen

As bigblock454XXL said make sure the piston is at bottom dead center when resting for the next day.

Kevin
Old 05-10-2009, 08:36 AM
trink2030

Great advice guys, I appreciate it. Glad I posted this as I would have never checked for BDC!

You said that your motor was still coming alive after 10 tanks, did you extend the break-in process or did you run normally through your 10th?

Thanks for this and all the other threads on here, a wealth of information!
Old 05-10-2009, 10:22 AM
DaveG55

The initial break in is mostly to get all of the mass manufacturered parts to "wear-in" to each other to optimize their "fit" with each other in order to maximise performanc and increase engine life. Most noitro engines will continue this process as they are used and many people report increasing performance up to and past 1 gallon of fuel usage. This is especially noticed in bib block engines but to a lesser extent in small blocks like the 3.3.

In addation to letting the engine rest at BDC there are other things that you can do to reduce extra wear & tear on the engine during break-in. Things like preheating the engine prior to starting and priming it by blowing into the preasure line from the pipe to the tank.

Good luck with the break-in
Old 05-10-2009, 04:30 PM
bigblock454XXL
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: trink2030

Great advice guys, I appreciate it. Glad I posted this as I would have never checked for BDC!

You said that your motor was still coming alive after 10 tanks, did you extend the break-in process or did you run normally through your 10th?

Thanks for this and all the other threads on here, a wealth of information!
No I did the suggested break-in, I think it took 3 days. But I was told to expect great things from the 3.3. When I sold it I think it had a gallon and a half.I think a gallon is approximately 20-22 tanks. I did tune at about 8 tanks and About every 2 tanks after that it got better and better. Seriously, my 3.3 in the T-Maxx would scream. I couldn't believe they could pack so much power in that Engine. You will see for yourself soon enough. For myself the RPM True Track Conversion is a great upgrade and almost a must. I highly recommend it. Good luck to you!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91524.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	1195734  
Old 05-12-2009, 09:56 PM
moe7404

moe in wichita ks cause the 3,3 is so powerfull i readjusted the throttle to half open, that made it a lot easer to break it in
Old 05-13-2009, 10:30 PM
trink2030

Just got the revo today and look forward to breaking it in soon. I do have a couple follow up questions though.

I raised the truck up as soon as I got it but noticed that it has a 'suspension' bottom out like that instead of bottoming out via the frame. So I lowered it back down as I would think that bottoming out on the frame would spare me some broken parts....am I thinking clearly here? Also noticed that the shocks are squishy and am confused on whether to change the shock oil to a 50 weight or buy stiffer shocks....thoughts?

I raised the body up as far as it would go as it looked difficult to fill the truck with has on the lower setting, can't imagine any adverse effects of that.

In planes, you would extend the rx wire to the tail of the airplane, but it seems that there is enough wire on the truck to actually go all the way up the mast and all the way down again. Is it ok to double up like that? I wrapped it a few times around the mast on the way back down and secured it with a piece of tape....will I be ok?

Read the book cover to cover and was lost towards the end with the advanced tuning....I've got a lot to learn!

Thanks!