Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Picco .26 JL Red Dot, please help

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 10:02 PM
Iron92

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picco .26 JL Red Dot, please help

Hey guys, got some questions. I hope they can be answered

1. I have read somewhere and now I can't find. Someone was talking about the motor (.26 Jl red dot) needing sealed up with copper rtv and I cant remember or where i seen it. If I am right. The carb needs resealed and the needles need teflon taped and then the backplate needs rtv as well. Please correct me if I am wrong

2. Fuel, I am running 20% now. The motor is running hot. I have had my LHS look at it and I think it is has to do with fuel, (they thought the same). I have read and been told to run 30% fuel in this motor. I dont know what is the best fuel now a days? I also have read to put in an extra head gasket so two head gaskets in this case.

3. I was also told to run colder plugs to try to correct the heat of this motor. I am really not sure what to run. My LHS has McCoy glow plugs.

4. I have been trying to find the factory needle settings for this truck. It has been sitting for a while and I want to break it in again so i know the sleeve isnt so tight.

5. I was putting around and my truck at higher rpms is not movin that fast, I tightend the slipper and it didnt do anything, so i was told it was my motor again.

This is all the main questions I really have. Any input would be great. I will be working on this truck all throughout winter and would like to work on it and get it going before winter here. I appreicate anyone who reads this and can put in some input. Thanks again
Kyle
Old 10-23-2009, 01:33 AM
pisces1

Default RE: Picco .26 JL Red Dot, please help

i have i same motor and i was wondering what plugs were u using?
Old 10-23-2009, 06:04 AM
Iron92

I have been using the MC-59 thus far.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:14 AM
Iron92

Pisces, I have read mostly. The MC-9 is working well for most. I would probably start there. I am not sure how the temp is on this plug and how it scales whether it is hot or cold. I know automotive plugs but not these glow plugs.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:25 AM
mikel05
My Feedback: (1)

picco recomends at minimul 25% on the fuel, i use monster fuel from trinity and mc59 plugs,i would not mess with the head shims i have alot of tanks throu my red dot its a great engine , i never have problems with it ands its bone stock, i run it in my revo [basher]
Old 10-25-2009, 08:40 AM
Snook Man

1: Sealing an engine with copper rtv is a band-aid. If needed replace the gasket/0-ring thats leaking.

2: 20% fuel runs fine in my Red Dot. and all others that I've seen.

3: A colder or hotter plug has little effect on engine temperature.

4: No need to breakin an engine thats already broken in unless you install a new piston/sleeve.

5: High rpm's and not responding to it with speed can mean a few things, (probably not engine related unless the tune is not allowing a shift into second).  Engine clutch could be worn, slipper too loose.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:42 PM
devious1
My Feedback: (15)

" IRON: 2. Fuel, I am running 20% now. The motor is running hot. I have had my LHS look at it and I think it is has to do with fuel, (they thought the same). I have read and been told to run 30% fuel in this motor. I dont know what is the best fuel now a days? I also have read to put in an extra head gasket so two head gaskets in this case."

What is your oil % as that will have a little to do with the temps as well.
But generally speaking from my experiences having the hot temps would be a little to lean. unless you have a seriously high oil content...

1: I have not needed to seal my motor up (yet if needed) 2 quarts through or a little more.
2: I run a q series iridium plug i also have installed head shims for running 30% (temps were rising) started off with Byrons 30%/9 Now i am running
maxy's 30%/11. Just a very minor tune to adjust it.

Even when i was running 20% it was wheelie happy temps were around 230-250ish now, with 30% i am running around 200ish right now...
i have never run anythng other than byrons until now with maxy's so i cant say much from that perspective
i personally think byrons is probably thee best out there. untill i see how maxys is going to run for me as i have only 1 tank through with maxy's

Cutting the windshield out will help a little bit as well to keep the temps down.

I hope this mass collaboration of mixed up sentences helps you out a little bit... (just woke up)
let me know how things turn out for you...