Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Im gonna modify the stock center shafts.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 11:26 PM
FordMechanic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im gonna modify the stock center shafts.

Well i keep breaking stock center drive shafts, mostly just the rear. Right now i dont have the cash to upgrade to steel drives so i have been looking at the stockers trying to figure out ways to re-enforce them and make them hold up good enough to withstand at least the forces of a 3.3. So far it seems that only the male splines twist off, and the female side always stays intact. I have two ideas to try out, and when i do if they are successfull i will post a thread with step by step intructions with photos. If neither of them work out ill crawl back in my little corner and put my dunce cap on!!!!
Old 11-06-2009, 02:21 AM
rangerfredbob
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: Im gonna modify the stock center shafts.

if that doesn't work, get some 3.3 spec outer shafts, shorten both ends and use two inner yokes, that should work on the rear at least...

or take some JB weld and add that to the outside of the male part of the shaft, pretty much making it one piece, wrap a piece of duct tape around it to keep the JB in while it cures...
Old 11-06-2009, 06:02 PM
FordMechanic

well I tried Idea #1 today. I mean i abused the ever loving crap out of it using a few different trials and it held. Took the modifed one out and put the stock un touched one back in and proceeded through the same abuse as the modded one and it didnt make it but 1/4 if the way through before it snapped like a tooth pick. I did some moserate jumps landing on the back wheels only, while under throttle, pulled my 65LB daughter through grass in her wagon onto concrete back to dirt and grass again leting off then matting it to the floor several times for shock testing. Got a box and put some weight in it, (about 45-50# I think) and flat dragged it over the same stuff i pulled the wagon through. Then just general Bashing and abusing. The modified shaft never broke, the stock one broke while pulling my daughter in the wagon.

Idea #2 i am going to test tomorow. I wasnt able to get pics of the testing but i did get step by step ones of what i did to the shaft.

Ranger i thought about JB weld and that would probably work but that would just be too easy for me LOL. Once i get an Idea in my head that something could be redone to be stronger without buying all the expensive parts it drives me crazy till i at least try it. I used to do the same thing when i was rock crawling, off roading and building 1:1 scale trucks.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:21 PM
rangerfredbob
My Feedback: (13)

I'm just curious what you came up with...

yeah, full size stuff just took over for me, my maxx doesn't get much attention anymore, I've got a 4x4 ranger with a turbo 2.3 (your name was fordmechanic so I thought I'd share my fun ford), soon to get a 6" lift and 35's along with axles from an explorer to handle the load
Old 11-22-2009, 05:04 PM
FordMechanic

Sorry its been so long, have been having computer troubles, i should have some of the stuff posted tonight.