Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Whys is my tmaxx 2.5 Front wheel drive only

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 06:54 PM
slickcb2000
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whys is my tmaxx 2.5 Front wheel drive only

Well after getting my radio and receiver issues fixed after many attempts, I now have a brand new problem. My truck is FWD only. I'm a newb here and dont really know where to start at. Transmission problem? Differential problem? How much money am I looking at now to fix this? Also when I start my truck for the first time in a while the starter motor spins but doesn't turn the motor over. After it has run for just a bit it starts no problem. I need help here, this whole hobby has been nothing but a money pit and headache from the beginning. I need this one fixed though. Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, your my only hope!!
Old 11-08-2009, 07:24 PM
Snook Man

Default RE: Whys is my tmaxx 2.5 Front wheel drive only

Something from the front center shaft to the wheels is broken/missing. Chech all drive shaft grub screw pins, wheel hex's and wheels. If nothing is found there check the diff.

The OWB is slipping causing the starting problem. Remove it, clean  it and add a few drops of mobile 1 oil. Reinstall and repeat when necessary; or replace the OWB.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:33 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Snook Man

Something from the front center shaft to the wheels is broken/missing. Chech all drive shaft grub screw pins, wheel hex's and wheels. If nothing is found there check the diff.

The OWB is slipping causing the starting problem. Remove it, clean it and add a few drops of mobile 1 oil. Reinstall and repeat when necessary; or replace the OWB.

I agree with "Snook Man"...............
Old 11-08-2009, 07:37 PM
slickcb2000

The OWB is slipping causing the starting problem. Remove it, clean it and add a few drops of mobile 1 oil. Reinstall and repeat when necessary; or replace the OWB.
I call myselft checking all the parts in the driveline, didn't see anything. I'll check again. Sorry again, but i'm a new... what is an "OWB"?

Old 11-08-2009, 07:41 PM
Snook Man

OWB = One Way Bearing.
It is behind the EZ start unit. It connects the engine starter shaft to the EZ start. Also known as a roller clutch.
http://www.buytraxxas.com/product_in...oducts_id=2563
Old 11-08-2009, 09:14 PM
rangerfredbob
My Feedback: (13)

grab both of the back wheels, turn one and hold the other solid, keep the front tires from turning too, what all turns? does it click? is the center shaft turning? if the driveshaft attached to the tire you are turning turns and the center shaft doesn't, and you hear a clicking, the diff needs rebuilt, you will probably have to tear the rear suspension apart and find the problem... you can take a shortcut and take one of the bulkheads loose and leave most everything connected, you just have to disconnect one driveshaft from the diff, that side bumper mount and bulkhead brace, skid plate, chassis brace, shock tower screws, and chassis to bulkhead screws, it saves a lot of time rather than taking EVERYTHING apart...
Old 11-08-2009, 09:46 PM
slickcb2000

Well, got the owb fixed/cleaned... works now.  Now for the bad, when i turn the drive shaft everything does good.  When i'm just barely easing around all 4 works, when the engine gets under load at all, all the power goes to the front.  When i give it more than just a tad bit of gas, just the fronts turn.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:51 PM
slickcb2000

And to add to that note, reverse doesn't work either.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:14 PM
slickcb2000

Think I need a new transmission?
Old 11-08-2009, 11:25 PM
ArloRogers
My Feedback: (1)

Both the front and rear drive shafs are turned by the same shaft in the tranny. Hold the rear drive shaft from the tranny and turn the spur gear on the tranny clock wise, it should turn the drive shaft, if it dose not then the pin is missing that holds the drive shaft to the tranny shaft. If all of that is fine then ck the pin on the other end of the drive shaft where it connects to the rear differential (diff). If the drive shaft is turning the diff and it is not turning the rear axels than the diff is bad.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:50 AM
slickcb2000

I can turn the back tires and sometimes the driveshaft will turn.  Same with the front, I can turn the front tires and sometimes the drive shaft will turn also. 
Old 11-09-2009, 01:39 AM
rangerfredbob

you have a problem in the diff, either sheared screws or stripped spider gears
Old 11-09-2009, 11:41 AM
slickcb2000

Well, i'm getting on ebay and getting all new diffs, front and back, and a new 2 speed foward only tranny.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:20 PM
rangerfredbob

if you go to your LHS, the diff rebuild kit is only like $11 and isn't that hard to install, it's unlikely that there would be anything wrong with your front diff... and a whole diff cup is about the same price, and about that for a new ring and pinion gear, they all come with instructions to help you with putting them together. the only thing you can do wrong is putting the differential in backwards...

if your reverse doesn't work, your idle is either too high or the linkage needs to be adjusted or something, if you have an opti drive transmission I don't know what could be wrong since I haven't worked with one...
Old 11-09-2009, 04:56 PM
slickcb2000

I'm again at a stand still.  I have taken my truck completely apart, everything.  I took apart the rear end and everything looks to be perfect.  All the gears and everything looks good.  Axles and driveshaft is in perfect condition.  Any other ideas? 

As far as reverse the idle is set all the way down, as low as I can get it.  When I did have it together when it would shift it would make a sound in the motor when it would shift to second gear.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:20 PM
slickcb2000

I think since I allready have the rear diff taken apart I may go ahead and get a posi rear end.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:23 PM
rangerfredbob

even the spider gears look good?

this may sound silly, but look at the wheel hexes in the back, one of them could have stripped causing the wheel to slip when power is applied, had that happen before...

the downside of a spool is your turning radius on high traction surfaces will increase (won't turn as sharp), for general bashing they are kind of nice, I may get another one someday...
Old 11-09-2009, 07:11 PM
slickcb2000

Well... I put my rear end back together with the spider gears and everything seems to be good.  I dont know, maybe something just fell out of place maybe?  I'm still ordering a 2 speed tranny though, eventually i'm gonna upgrade to a 3.3 or maybe bigger and will need one then anyways.  So i'm gonna wait till that comes in and put it all back together.  Got everything all cleaned, leaving the reverse servo off.  I'll see how the rear end works when i get it together and running.  If it dont work then a posi rear end will be in order.  I painted to battery cover and receiver cover also, kinda the same color as the rpm blue parts.  Those will be on order soon too.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:43 PM
Dan M

OWB = One Way Bearing.
It is behind the EZ start unit. It connects the engine starter shaft to the EZ start. Also known as a roller clutch.
http://www.buytraxxas.com/product_in...oducts_id=2563
i had Snook for dinner

Old 11-09-2009, 08:00 PM
Snook Man

Nice line sider Dan.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:06 PM
Dan M

thanks bro , nice name ! my email address for years was Snookslimer@ .. i had to change it .. no one understood LOL !
Old 11-11-2009, 04:14 PM
slickcb2000

Well, was at the hobby shop today and decided to get a rear spool while i was there.  I'll see how this turns out.  Ordered a new set up allen head stainless screws from ebay, got to wait on them to put it all back together now.  Maybe this will help me out!
Old 11-11-2009, 06:48 PM
Snook Man

Stainless steel screws have there place but they are not recommended for hobby grade RC's (unless it's a shelf queen)

www.tonysscrews.com  has some of the best you can get for our purposes.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:00 PM
slickcb2000

What is wrong with SS screws?  I figured they would be far better than the factory screws.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:34 PM
Snook Man

SS Screws strip out, bend/break easily. They are softer than the stock screws. Even with a high quality hex driver the heads will strip often.