Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

i cant take this!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 10:52 AM
jd31

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default i cant take this!!

one one of my revo's with a pull start i cant get it started for the first time (new engine) i have alreaddy used the wd-40 trick and its easy to pull, it just will not start, its a 3.3 engine, it didnt sell so i decided to try to use it. it chokes on itsselfquite a bit and it sometimes starts for a second then dies out, any ideas, somehow i can never get these engines started, does anyone have a bump box & backplate they would sell for $30 (just incase i cant figure it out)
peace
jd
Old 11-27-2009, 11:23 AM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: i cant take this!!

Sounds like your engine is firing on the prime, then dieing on the normal mixture coming through.

Try opening your carb with the transmitter throttle trim....just a bit...enough you can see the carb slide start to move.

Once it starts and warms up a bit, you can move the trim back to where it should be.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:28 AM
ArloRogers
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replace the exisying fuel in your system if it is not fresh. Pull the glow plug and test it with your ignitor, you should get a bright orange glow. Pull the fuel line from both the carb and exhaust, blow on the exhaust line until fuel comes out of the carb line and then reconnect them. Set both the HSN and LSN to factory settings. Adjust the carb so at idle there is a 1-1.5mm opening. Use a hair dryer to preheat the engine.Add 4 or 5 drops of fuel into the carb and it should start.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:25 PM
rcslsafut

make sure your battery pack is full charged if you are using the traxxas starter. my sons s maxx and his buddies t maxx they bought this summer
they were a royal pain to get started the first few times [both 3.3 ] engines . thiers would get to much fuel in them hyd lock. both of them.
we had to keep pulling out the glow plug and evacuate the fuel out them . once we got them started a few times they were not such a pain.
hope that helps
Old 11-28-2009, 01:27 AM
jbooker82
My Feedback: (4)

Or Crack the Glow plug loose to help bleed of some compression. I have found that trick works pretty well with tight bran new engines. Once the engine is running then tighten the glow plug down.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:29 AM
jbooker82
My Feedback: (4)

I know this doesnt apply since your using a Pull Start.

I like to use a glow ignitor instead of the blue wire that says on the glow plug. The glow plug only glows when you push the starter button. So on a cold engine you have to start it mulitple times until the engine is hot enough to keep the plug glowing on its own. If you have a glow ignitor you can leave it on after the truck is running.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:43 AM
piddlefoot
Banned

Sounds like a dodgy glow plug.
Is the air filter clean ? That'll choke it if its dirty.
Maybe set a touch to rich.
Old 11-28-2009, 12:12 PM
jd31

ok,
so i should
put fresh fuel
change the batteries
heat up the engine before starting it
clean the air filter
keep the glow plug loose at first then tighten it when it is running
open the carb with the transmitter
add a few drops of fuel into the carb
one question through, what do you mean see the carb slide start to move?
Old 11-28-2009, 12:41 PM
Argess

ORIGINAL: jd31

one question through, what do you mean see the carb slide start to move?
Sorry...not sure what type of carb is on your vehicle, but what I meant was, adjsut your throttle trim until the carb just starts to open a bit more than its idle setting. You can see it start to happen on a slide carb easily as the rubber bellows will just start to compress. On a rotary carb, the carb lever will just start to move.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:54 PM
jd31

i got ya, ill try it next weekend or tomorrow thanx
Old 11-29-2009, 05:30 PM
jd31

i tried today, it still works the same as before any other ideas??
Old 11-29-2009, 07:36 PM
Argess

Persistence......you may have some trouble from all the times you tried and it didn't start.....like excess fuel inside enigne, carbed gummed up with residue left from evaporated fuel.

The odd time, I've tried to start a nitro engine and forgot to attach the glow-ignitor. Usually when someone is watching.....LOL. Once I figure it out, it sometimes starts right up, or sometimes is a pig to get going.

Now that you've got it sorted out, just try some more. Try a few different things if you are getting nowhere, like maybe opening the carb a bit more, maybe closing it back to idle, maybe taking the glow-plug out and cranking it over to get rid of excess fuel.

Sometimes an engine doesn't prime enough......put finger over exhaust stinger and crank a few extra times.

Are you doing this outside and has it gotten cold lately? Try preheating the engine a bit with a hair-drier, or try starting it indoors where it's warm.

Oh...and dont' crank and crank and crank. Just a short burst, then a few second wait so the glowplug clears itself, then another short burst, repeat, etc, etc......