Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

General T-maxx Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 08:36 PM
DooTrax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default General T-maxx Problems

I recently just bought a Traxxas T-maxx off ebay. and i'm just wondering what general problems am i exspecting to find, and how would i go about tuning the high and low speed jets. I'm used to running electric!
Old 11-27-2009, 09:05 PM
Redvanmafia

Default RE: General T-maxx Problems

a few stones in the carb, got doo actin' hard
Old 11-27-2009, 09:28 PM
rcslsafut

as far as problems that is really hard to tell . most poeple think they are made to jump the empire state building or something enormous like that
then they wonder why every time they drive it ,it breaks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i have an e maxx, t maxx,and a s maxx and i have jumped them all .but
i have not beat the total crap out of them.and i have had very good luck with them not breaking . most poeple thrash the snot out of thier maxx
trucks though. check your shock towers and your a arms and bulkheads to make sure they are not broke or cracked . those are the MAIN problem
parts on a maxx. as far as the low and high speed needles, down load the manual. is a good start place. then remember in[clockwise] is leaning out the engine
and out [counterclockwise] is richening up the engine. its my experaince that if you dont get it at least close it wont even run a whole tank.
look for smoke when you hammer the throttle . pinch the fuel line till it dies , count the seconds till it dies [should be around three] and go
on youtube look for more info if that is not enough. they have some very good tuning info on there!!! hope that helps . and remeber that nitro
can be fussy ,so BE PATIENT. YOU WONT LEARN IT ALL IN ONE DAY!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-28-2009, 10:00 AM
Redvanmafia

slapmafro doo
Old 11-28-2009, 10:05 AM
DooTrax

Thanks, thats really helpful!
Old 11-28-2009, 11:43 AM
Mr Max Wheelie

tunning can be a real problem for newbies to nitro like u and me,rcslsafut said it right ''PATIENTS" will eventually get the job done.....smoke from a nitro engine is a good thing,smoke=lubrication! as for broken parts i guess it really comes down to how and where u drive ur rig......my maxx has taking some serious hits head on into trees and some rough landing off of 8-10ft of air and i have yet to break any bulks,a-arms or shock towers...... 80% of the time i run ''*****E'' on pavement or other hard packed surfaces and ive replaced tranny gears,clutches,diffs,and axles.....soo like i said the terrain where you run ur rig is gonna have alot to do with what u break......and remember my friend maintenance and wrenching is at least 70% of this hobby..........have fun and bash hard!!!!!!.............scott
Old 11-28-2009, 12:39 PM
TIGER76

Hi m8 like you i recently bought an t maxx from ebay 2nd hand too lol

first check over the parts for any damage i had to change out the stripped spur gear (black cog which engages the clutch bell) and my clutch spring was broke too []
so replace any broken parts you can see as for the tuning set it back to factory settings think i used this guide here ..
roll the truck to make sure the drivetrain isnt locking up too.

[link=http://www.traxxas.com/support/kb_search.php?action=artikel&cat=34&id=92]trx guide[/link]

once back to factory settings you can tune from there hope that helps alittle also was it the 3.3 or 2.5 tmaxx?
im learning as i go along here too but this forum is great for reading up on the tmaxx and the guys on here know there stuff
Old 11-28-2009, 07:57 PM
jd31

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the chassis might break, seen alot of that on the track when the truck didnt land just right
Old 11-28-2009, 10:37 PM
ELK

ORIGINAL: jd31

the chassis might break, seen alot of that on the track when the truck didnt land just right
thats a pretty bad landing
Old 11-28-2009, 10:45 PM
Mr Max Wheelie

dude im not sure how bad and off of how big a jump u landed bad but ive never heard of breaking a tmaxx chassis b4.......ive been in the air 10ft and landed nose down on one wheel and never broke nothin......im not saying it cant happen but breaking a chassis has to be pretty rare
Old 12-08-2009, 01:36 AM
DooTrax

ok, so i finally got my t-maxx and I've given it a pretty good once over on looking for broken parts. It looks fine! I don't have fuel so i can't tune it yet, but i did noticed that the spur gear moves without the wheels moving, like i mean full rotations, im wondering if this may be my first problem. can a spur gear move (slowly) without the wheels moving? if not then what might be the problem?
Old 12-08-2009, 01:49 AM
bigblock454XXL
My Feedback: (-1)

Um. . . .Slipper clutch. It only engages while under power. Not while spinning it with your finger and making engine sounds with your lips. HeHeHe. Sorry, I had to. You will know for sure when you get some nitro and fire it up. 20% is a good starting point. I've owned 3 T-maxx's and I now own a LST XXL and It's very consistant. As fare as problems? Don't fix it till it breaks.
rcslsfut had a lot of great points. As far as tuning, find out the engine and get the manual and set the needle settings to factory. Remember that Elevation, Temperature and the moisture in the air will all need to be taken into account when tuning. And make sure you charge your batteries or that they are brand new if not rechargable.
Anything else come back and post ur problem. There's lot's of help and info in these forums!!
Old 12-08-2009, 02:20 AM
rangerfredbob
My Feedback: (13)

yeah, there's a clutch on the engine and a one way bearing in the tranny so the spur gear will turn without the engine turning unless there is a single speed conversion in the tranny
Old 12-11-2009, 01:49 PM
DooTrax

Ok, thanks lol... for now all i can do is spin the gears and make engine noises lol, for i still don't have nitro fuel yet. the nearest hobbie shop is like 100km away and i got no ride. but i was thinking about running 20% anyways cuz i don't feel like blowing my motor just yet.. thanks for all the help everyone, i'll keep you posted in the near future when i get the beast fired up
Old 12-11-2009, 08:08 PM
Redvanmafia

Here's doo hanging out by the road, I wonder what he's doing., i think your alright If anything it might be a small transmission part
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He97238.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	1332236  
Old 12-11-2009, 08:52 PM
Snook Man

If your tranny is the black .15 / 2.5 tranny...The spur will spin both directions and not engage the wheels if the tranny is equiped with reverse.
With a forward only coversion (FOC) the wheels will spin when the spur gear is spun counter clockwise.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:02 PM
DooTrax

ok thanks, that helps alot, good to know it might not be broken

Old 12-12-2009, 08:38 AM
bigblock454XXL
My Feedback: (-1)

Now if we stop and think about this for a minute, we can come to the conclussion that If you can spin the spur gear with finger and the tires spin, as soon as you start your Tmaxx, it's going to take off. IT"S NOT BROKE, it's supposed to do that. And some guys that race shorten the spring on the clutch shoes so their Truggy or whatever isn't jumping the line.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:27 PM
Snook Man

The TMaxx should not take off when you start it...If the engine clutch & spring are in good shape and the idle speed is within reason, the engine clutch does not engage the clutch bell and the truck should just sit there until throttle is applied.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:14 AM
DooTrax

so i fired it up after 20mins straight of rippin the easy start and it wants to take off on me so i gotta fit the throttle linkage, when i hit the breaks the motr wants to die but when i put it at neutral it wants to keep driving and to top it off i either broke a spring on the clutch or my shoes are worn out cuz after afew rips it just stopped and sat in one spot and revved... lol but awesome truck  
Old 12-13-2009, 03:20 AM
Redvanmafia

I believe its the clutch, because the engine to me sounded normal but it just wouldn't drive, the clutch wasn't turning neither was the spur, i think you need to do some more fine tuning my friend![sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 12-13-2009, 03:27 AM
DooTrax

yeah man definitely, im gonna rip er apart tomo and see what the problem is. i think thats why it may have been running sluggish too. hopefully i can get that hs .20 all fixed up and throw that in  
Old 03-13-2010, 12:17 AM
skinz

Hey, new to the forum. I have a 2.5 tmaxx that i have put about five gallons through.  Lately i have had a problem with is being really sluggish coming off idle.  It runs great the first few minutes, but just dies down after that.  once i get the rpm's up it still goes like a bat out of hell.  I have tried factory settings, low speed and high speed.  Any ideas, is it about time to rebuild. I tried all this on more than one glow plug also.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:41 AM
snoking16

if your tuning is right and everything else doesnt make sense it might be time to pull it appart and check out the internals. You might have to rebuild it or go for a new engine. i personally dont think traxxas engines are worth rebuilding. Its a perfect time to upgrade and go for a nicer engine. If you dont have the money, i would either just buy a new piston and sleave, or buy a 3.3. They are pretty cheap.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:23 AM
djwoody

i have a traxxas tmaxx 2.5 and i recently upgraded to a 3.3 engineeverything swapped out good but my problem is that it wont shift intosecond gear like it did when it was a 2.5 engine i havent changed athing from original drive train..or any gears...just swapped out theengine and made sure the mesh was right in the fly gear (the big blackone)...hehe stripped a few of thoes out too...any suggestions? 3.3 isrunning smoothe and i can pop wheelies and everything but no secondgear.....winds all the way up full speed and nothing , nosecond...??????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.