Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Broken primary gear on 3.3 Revo

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 10:27 PM
cowboychris244
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken primary gear on 3.3 Revo

I haven't had the Revo long - and today the pin sheared in the primary gear. It looks like the retainer may not have been set properly from the factory and the pin slid out one side and then sheared. I tried putting a 2mm screw in its place, but it sheared immediately. Has anyone else had this problem? I have ordered a new primary gear and pin, and hope to not have a repeat performance. Any one else have issues with the primary gear, and if so, how did you correct it?
Old 03-01-2010, 12:18 AM
T-MaxxxedOwt

Default RE: Broken primary gear on 3.3 Revo

Usually when you have problems like that theres another underlaying problem...

Make sure the brakes dont activate at full throttle ..

Make sure the roller bearings in the trans arent binding

Make sure the driveshafts plus centershaftsare good and the diffs operate smoothly..

Make sure the axle bearings work smoothly and are not binding

Make sure youre properly setting the slipper clutch and not setting it too tightly

Make sure the hole in the shaft where the broken pin isisnt oblonged out or has a burred edge..

After 20-25 bash sessions I takeeach of mybashers and breakthem down , clean and relube the diffs plus clean out and relube the driveshaft bearings in the knuckles...I also disassemble,clean and inspect the trans then I reassemble it..By then theres usually alot of dirt in the diff bearings,transoutput bearingsand the axle bearings giving resistancekeeping them from rolling easily..
Old 03-01-2010, 07:44 AM
cowboychris244
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks for the reply. Since the Revo is new (less than 8 tanks) - it hadn't had a chance to get it too dirty. When I disassembled the transmission, the retainer clip on the pin was only in the hole on one side, allowing the pin to slide out, doing damage to the primary gear in the process before it sheared off. The retainer clip is tight, making me think that there is no way for it to come off on its own. I hope that it wasn't set in place properly during initial assembly. Hopefully new parts will correct my problem. I have been through the rest of the truck (drive shafts, u-joints, diff, etc.) and everything is smooth. I don't know what else it could have been.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:08 PM
Snook Man

Pins just sometimes break.