Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Help Im Confused

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 09:27 AM
RC_Diablo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Im Confused

Ok I got a temp guage last week but due to working 60 hours a week I wasnt able to get my Tmaxx out untill last night.. Well I reset everything to factory settings 4 turns out on HSN and 1 and a half on LSN.. So I drive it around a couple minutes to get it warmed up and bring it in to check the temp, I was shocked to see what it was running.. 283F!! at factory settings??? So I turn the HSN out 1 turn.. Now Im at 5 turns out on the HSN and 1 and a half on the LSN... All I have to say is HOLY ****!!!! this thing starts running like a bat out of hell Ive never had it run this good.. Not only does it start wheeling now (Which it hadnt done before) But it has so much power it will flip backwards... I didnt have the chance to see how the top end was doing with that setting.. The temps dropped to about 210-220F sadly it got dark out and I had to put it up.. But why?? If the factory setting is 4 turns out and your suppose to lean it to get performance why does mine get better performance at a richer tune??

Oh and incase its important: Tmaxx 3.3 4908 1 month old about 1/4 to 1/2 gallon through it (thats Including what was used for breakin) running traxxas 20% fuel
Old 03-30-2010, 09:50 AM
Snook Man

Default RE: Help Im Confused

Factory settings are just a baseline to get you up and running.

1st thing to always remember is that colder weather requires a richer tune than when tuned in warmer weather.

It sounds like you may have been just tuned too lean for your weather conditions.
5 turns out is not uncommon in conditions 60 degrees or lower.

I don’t think you were confused, you just did not know the reason why.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:16 AM
RC_Diablo

Well that makes since.. but I thought factory setting were as rich as it should run so I had no idea.. The insturctions say to lean it out for performance so thats what I did, but whatever Im glad I got the temp gauge I wouldnt have realized that my truck had so much more power in it.. Im stoked now ha.. I cant wait to get it out and see what I can get it to do..

So after a point leaning the engine will actually decrease performance?
Old 03-30-2010, 10:57 AM
Snook Man

ORIGINAL: RC_Diablo

So after a point leaning the engine will actually decrease performance?
Yes, not only can it decrease performance it can do harm tothe enginealso. Both the HSN and LSN.

When you get it out for some high speed passes tune the HSN so that it is just lean enough to change gears. Then you are close and it will only need a little fine tuning from there. Then tune the LSN as the HSN will effect the LSN setting.

And remember, as the weather changes so will the tune.
Colder air = richer tune
Warmer air = leaner tune.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:18 AM
RC_Diablo

Yeah at first I thought maybe I had done somthing wrong and messed the motor up because it just wasnt performing like I had thought it would compared to my buddies 1.5, I mean it didnt run fast but it always ran good it never bogged or tried to cut out WOT and I always had blue smoke, But now I dont think I killed it just yet after I richened it up it really showed its colors... If I gun it from a stand still it will flip on top of its lid now

And yeah I had seen where colder wheather required a richer setting but like I said I thought that meant back up to 4 turns.. It really would have helped out if Traxxas would have said lean OR richen the HSN to tune for performance depending on wheather.. The way I took it was 4 turns was running really rich for break in settings..
Old 03-30-2010, 04:59 PM
ArloRogers
My Feedback: (1)

Pay close attention to the color and amount of smoke you produce when you are tuned correctly. As the day changes so will the color and amount of smoke you produce so you know it time for a small retune.