Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Black Horse Shrike Commander

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Black Horse Shrike Commander

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 04:57 PM
JoeMamma

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Black Horse Shrike Commander

ORIGINAL: Quigleywins

Joe one or two questions about your retracts. 1 Did you use the 105 deg retract on the front. 2 Have you finished the instilation of the gear.3 Were the rotating strong enough for the job.
I will in the next week be ordering the set up you have. I am working on the repair as well as the duel ace and piper commanche. so progress is some what slow not to mention the mess. Yours Paul T

Hi Paul,

I plan on using the EFlite 60-120 size on the nose........no, not 105 degree but 90 degree. I have the nose gear but haven't started the installation yet. It looks like it may not be too much work.

For the mains I picked up a set of EFlite 25-46 size rotating retracts. I had planned on going to larger wire struts by drilling them out from the original 4mm out to 5mm like on the 60-120 size EFlite wires.

This is only part of the problem as I thought they would still work, but it appears they are going to take a lot of custom wood fabrication.

The problem with the mains is they are 100 degree not 90 degree...........my fault.....I didn't check.[:@] I was going to return the 100 degree gear but found out that's all they manufacture..........no 90 degree sets available in rotating.[]

The 100 degrees is set up to offset wing dihedral by 10 degrees, meaning they are made to go up and down from left to right, not front to rear as I (we) need. That also means the wheels will be canted forward an extra 10 degrees.

Now I'm going to have to make up a set of four perfectly cut landing gear blocks all cut at a 10 degree offset. It can be done, but it will require more fabrication.

I also will need to drill out the landing gear blocks at a 10 degree angle. Looks like I'll also need to make up some kind of a 10 degree drill guide.

Joe M.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:28 PM
Jas65

ORIGINAL: Quigleywins

HI Jack In my case I was not a great fan of the under carrage straight out of the box. On the first flight it stalled on take off and came down on one wheel at the end of the runway.This resulted in the left retract breaking loose.After it was repatred the composit part of the retract having far too much slop, it had a fair bit even before this. they do track straight when in forward motion. they are buiilt like a cray fish ,no guts. Its all ready to go but I will install the Eflite as soon as I get them. I have a set for the Commanche and they do look good. I also have a Great Plnes Tomcat that has only been flown with the retracts down so I could end up being E flites best customer. Yours Paul T
Ok,thank you very much

Another problem I ran in to is the assembly of the rudder control,the manual could be much better here,is there by chance posible if anyone who has figured it out how to hook upp the controls with the rudder backwards on the Shrike could upload a pic of this,just cant figure out how bh
Had this planed.

Br
Jack

Old 06-10-2012, 01:06 PM
Jas65

Hello

Been quitet for a while in this thread,mine plane is in the ending phase,did like kc forsythe and went for the lander e-retracts,i have run in to a smaller problem and that is that the front retract didnt manage to close the four hatches,this because the hinges was glued wrong in the factory,for now i have ripped them out and only use the two front hatches,if everything goes like planned with the maiden im gone totally
Redo the front hatch,maybe gone get a sequenser or some else solution,the main hatches works just fine,im also have put a 11g servo to run the steering in the front comparement to the get rid of the long pushrod running thru the fuse connected to the rudder servo,gone mix it in with the radio
(slave with rudder),have ordered some 14 awg cables and connectors to hook upp the esc's with the motors.

Cheers for now

/Jack
Old 06-10-2012, 03:45 PM
JoeMamma

ORIGINAL: Jas65

Hello

Been quitet for a while in this thread,mine plane is in the ending phase,did like kc forsythe and went for the lander e-retracts,i have run in to a smaller problem and that is that the front retract didnt manage to close the four hatches,this because the hinges was glued wrong in the factory,for now i have ripped them out and only use the two front hatches,if everything goes like planned with the maiden im gone totally
Redo the front hatch,maybe gone get a sequenser or some else solution,the main hatches works just fine,im also have put a 11g servo to run the steering in the front comparement to the get rid of the long pushrod running thru the fuse connected to the rudder servo,gone mix it in with the radio
(slave with rudder),have ordered some 14 awg cables and connectors to hook upp the esc's with the motors.

Cheers for now

/Jack
Hello Jack,

In answer to your first question about the rudder hookup, I still haven't got to that part of the assembly. Maybe somone else can help you out.

The gear doors ? As I stated earlier, all of my gear doors were installed with no thought at all to any quality control.......a very shabby job ![:'(] They were very difficult to repair, so I removed all of them.[:@]

I'm also planning on using a separate steering servo because I like having the option of doing separate adjustments to the rudder and steering.

My build has been painfully slow because it's summertime here, so I spend more time flying instead of building.

The only thing I've finished up is both of the wing assemblies (motors, ESC's, Props, spinners, ailerons, retracts, wheels/tires, cowls and wiring). I fabricated both of my motor mounts.

Joe M.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14149.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	1770933   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34122.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	1770934   Click image for larger version

Name:	Io28902.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	1770935  
Old 06-10-2012, 08:11 PM
Jas65

I manged to figure out the rudder hookup,quite easy,sometimes its good idea to read the manual?..

I think you did a very good job with the motormounts Joe,i bought mine fron staufenbiel in germany,had to do some mods to them as they wasnt pnp,gone try to post some in a near future

Cheers
Jack
Old 06-12-2012, 04:30 PM
Quigleywins

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jas65 I hope you put a small amount of tubing over the threads of the screw on that rudder,mine came loose so I filed in the gap between the nulon arm and the thread. (the nylon can come loose from the brass.) I hope you can see what I'm on about If it comes loose later the brass moves the bolt the bolt needs then to move 3 deg before the slack is taken up and the screw hits the nylou to then move the rudder. Yours Paul T
Old 07-31-2012, 05:04 PM
dale691

Kent and Joe, would be able to provide further details on your electric setups. Kent what is the Kva of your 46s and the prop and ESC you are running and Joe I think I have all the details on yours from looking through the thread just not the Kva of your 32s there are 2 different ones from eflite. I will be looking to do a 4s setup for wha ever I go with.

Cheers Dale
Old 08-03-2012, 04:17 AM
JoeMamma

ORIGINAL: dale691

Kent and Joe, would be able to provide further details on your electric setups. Kent what is the Kva of your 46s and the prop and ESC you are running and Joe I think I have all the details on yours from looking through the thread just not the Kva of your 32s there are 2 different ones from eflite. I will be looking to do a 4s setup for wha ever I go with.

Cheers Dale

Hello Dale,

Glad to see this thread is not dead.

It's summertime here north of the equator so it's flying time instead of building time. I probably won't finish mine until November/December.

I was not aware their are two different Power 32's available ?? Mine are 770kV.

I have two different twins using these same motors; a Hangar 9 Twin Otter and an EFlite Deuces Wild. The weigh about the same as the Commander. Plenty of power !

If you are planning on using the 46's they should put your Commander into orbit.[X(][X(]

Joe M.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:33 AM
kcforsythe

Dale,

Mine are the 670kv eFlite Power 46 motors using the eFlite 80A ESCs. I run 2x4S 4000mah lipos (20C). I don't remember right now what props are on there but I can check when I go home. I want to say they are 13x8 electric props but I'll verify for sure. They provide plenty of power. I normally fly at about 1/2 throttle for a more scale look. This plane gets a lot of attention at the field.

Kent
Old 08-03-2012, 01:00 PM
dale691

Thanks Joe and Kent. I think I will go for the 32s at this stage. Joe what size 3 blade props are you running on your 4s setup?
Old 08-03-2012, 01:15 PM
JoeMamma

Thanks Joe and Kent. I think I will go for the 32s at this stage. Joe what size 3 blade props are you running on your 4s setup?

On the Twin Otter I'm using EFlite 80amp ESC's, 4-cell 3300mah lipos, and a set of Master Airscrew 12x6 3-bladers.

The Deuces Wild is using counter-rotating 13x8 2-bladers.

Joe M.

Name:	Om33078.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	1788546  
Old 08-03-2012, 01:56 PM
dale691

The twin otter looks awesome. and I love the 3 blade props. I'm a bit of an electric novice, the motor i'm looking at is an Hobby king easy match 32. It is 600kv not sure what difference that will make to prop selection?

I bet the hangar 9 plane was a pleasure to put together?

Also Joe, are those Master Airscrew props just normal 3 bladders, not electric specific?
Old 08-04-2012, 01:33 PM
JoeMamma

The twin otter looks awesome. and I love the 3 blade props. I'm a bit of an electric novice, the motor i'm looking at is an Hobby king easy match 32. It is 600kv not sure what difference that will make to prop selection?

I bet the hangar 9 plane was a pleasure to put together?

Also Joe, are those Master Airscrew props just normal 3 bladders, not electric specific?
Thanks for the compliment.

The 3-blader's are not electric. At the time all I could get were much heavier non-electric props. Consequently, the motors pull a higher amp draw, especially at take off. That's why I had to use 80amp ESC's.

Joe M.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:36 PM
JoeMamma

Appears this thread has really slowed down...........too bad. []

I finally got mine finished up today. A question for you fellahs already flying their Commander. Has the recommended CG setting (60 MM or 2 3/8â€) been working out ? I added 4.5 ounces to her nose to dial in the CG at 2 3/8â€.

Now the weather man is predicting wind or rain for the next 4-5 days.

Joe M.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:19 PM
Quigleywins

Good luck on that first flight Joe,I'm still in the work shop with mine,yet to get the Elec retracts. Yours Paul T
Old 10-11-2012, 03:37 AM
kcforsythe

Yeh...good luck Joe.

Mine flies great at the recommended CG. I had to add weight to the nose also. I'm flying with 2 4S 4000mah batteries right behind the cockpit. I dont' recall how much weight I added but I want to say at least a few ounces.

This plane really gets attention at the flying field. You'll love it.

Kent
Old 10-11-2012, 11:30 AM
JoeMamma

Kent,

I took your advice on placing both lipos behing the cockpit. It's a nice spot, but I couldn't get both of my grubby hands into the fuselage at the same time to draw up the velcro straps retaining the lipos.

I wound up making a quick-release battery box. It's held in place with a 1/4" nylon wing nut. I installed two 1/4" pointed locating dowels on the front of the box.

These two dowels line up inside the fuselage into a small piece of plywood with matching 1/4" holes.

Joe M.

Name:	Hf10357.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	1810326   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up46893.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	1810327   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk15475.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	1810328  
Old 10-17-2012, 06:53 AM
JoeMamma

Hi Guys,

Got in the maiden flights yesterday.

With the recommended initial elevator throw being used I found out (almost too late[X(]), it wasn't enough. On my first takeoff I thought it just would not get airborne, but eventually she lifted gently into the air. This took almost full up elevator on the elevator stick. Those big trees sure came up fast[X(] For the second flight I doubled the elevator throw. MUCH better now !

Only minor trim adjustment was needed for hands off flying.

The only problem I can see with this plane is it has a lot of adverse yaw (meaning the nose wants to mush in the opposite direction of the turn). This happened when attempting to do a slow turn using ailerons only.

When I added in some coordinated rudder, she turned pretty good. I think the first thing I'll do to try to resolve the adverse yaw problem is to electronically set in some aileron differential (more travel on the up aileron than the down aileron). Only some experimentation will work.

The EFlite Power 32 motors, 3-blade props with a pair of 4-cell 3300mah lipos have more than enough power. My total weight (with lipos installed) is 12 pounds 3 ounces.......not too bad !

All in all, a very nice flying plane. I'm a happy camper.

Joe M.

Name:	Rp42141.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	1812110   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54924.jpg
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	1812111   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92655.jpg
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	1812112  
Old 10-17-2012, 08:22 AM
kcforsythe

Congrats Joe. Looks great. Glad to hear you survived the elevator throw issue. I really like the way your 3-bladed props look. Mine with normal 2-bladed props doesn't look quite as nice.

Kent
Old 10-18-2012, 03:39 AM
Quigleywins

Go Joe great to here .still to put mine on the repair line. I dont know if you have seen what has me entertained for the past weeks. Asyou can tell I love it.

Name:	Qn38511.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	1812362  
Old 10-18-2012, 06:27 AM
JoeMamma

Kent,

Thanks for the compliment !

Paul,

Looks good ! A Texan Twin........who'd a thunk of it. How does it fly ?

Joe M.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:34 AM
Quigleywins

Joe as with most of the gear I have ,its yet to be tested. I think that maybe before Christmas. Its going to a comp in the new year so all will be complete by then. Its huge 2.7 meters.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:42 AM
Daniel List

Hello Joe MamaNice to meet you in this forum. I saw you in the beech baron Forum. Hope you feel fine and weather is ok for good flights.Do you have a movie or some photos from your shrike commander in Action? Pherhaps that Kent has a movie, too.If you compare the beech baron and the shrike Commander, which one would you prefer in the sight of building and flying?I would be glad to hear some News from you.all the bestDanielSwitzerland
Old 11-09-2012, 05:19 PM
JoeMamma

ORIGINAL: Daniel List

Hello Joe MamaNice to meet you in this forum. I saw you in the beech baron Forum. Hope you feel fine and weather is ok for good flights.Do you have a movie or some photos from your shrike commander in Action? Pherhaps that Kent has a movie, too.If you compare the beech baron and the shrike Commander, which one would you prefer in the sight of building and flying?I would be glad to hear some News from you.all the bestDanielSwitzerland
Rest In Peace Rockwell Commander See post #10 at: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1751592

Joe M.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:50 AM
kcforsythe

Joe,

Wow...sorry. I hadn't seen that yours went in!! If you have any interest in getting another one, I'm getting ready to post mine on RCGroups for sale but I wanted to offer it up to you first. I'm trying to fund some other projects and have a Cessna 421 that I fly more than this one. If you have any interest, I can send you my email and we can take it off-line and I can provide more photos and details. If you're not interested, that's ok too.

Again....sorry about your mishap.

Kent

Name:	Xu62738.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	1819617   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30124.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	1819618   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65219.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	1819619  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.