Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Multi engine wiring... how to?

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Multi engine wiring... how to?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 04:06 PM
c130nut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multi engine wiring... how to?

I asked this a long time ago and cannot remember where... but anyway since then battery power has come a long way!
My model is a Quality Fiberglass C130. I had originally wired it for 4 25 engines. As family life has it... kids came along and it got shelved for a while. Now they are older and I am wanting to resurrect the old C130. After going to a flying this weekend I saw a multi-engine run on electrics... AWESOME! So with one servo lead for each engine compartment all the way back to the fuse, what is the best way to wire them from a single receiver? I am going to put 1 motor, 1 battery, and 1 ESC per nacelle. What is the best way to wire it for control or all four engines?
I hope this makes sense.
Bill R.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:18 AM
Gtarling

Default RE: Multi engine wiring... how to?

The ideal setup for four-engined electrics is probably to have them paired as inners and outers. This way, if you get one failure, you can kill that pair and still have the remaining pair for landing. It is possible to set up transmitter mxing to achieve this, but you'd need to work out how to do that with your own radio. The simpler alternative is just to common up all four ESC's into the one channel on your receiver. Frankly, this is probably how most would do it anyway, as electrics are so reliable these days that a failure is not very likely.

Gordon
Old 06-03-2012, 05:25 AM
c130nut

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I was going to pair them like that, but I remember something about clipping the control wire. I cannot remember about that. Any ideas? I vaguely remember hearing something about that if you did not clip a wire on a multi, you would have some issue.
Bill R.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:01 AM
Gtarling

Ah! You're referring to 'disabling' the BEC circuit in the ESC's. Most ESC manufacturers recommend that only one BEC is used to power the receiver and servos, so if you're using four ESC's with BEC, then you need to disable three of them by disconnecting the RED wire at the plug. No need to cut the wire - either remove it from the plastic shell and tape/shrink sleeve the contact, or use a short extension lead that doesn't have the red wire at all. I'm not sure how large this model you're planning is going to be, but I'm guessing around 100" to 120"? If that's the case, then I'd prefer to use Opto ESC's (No BEC) and then use either a receiver battery or a separate switching BEC for receiver power.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:28 PM
multienjim
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run all 8 speed controls on my spruce goose into the throttle channel using y conectors and and cut the power wire on the y conector at each speed control so i would not need to modify the speed control conector. I run the inboard 2 motors at the fuse onone 4s 5000 battery then the next 2 out on the next battery and so on, for a total of 4 batterys and 8 eflight 32 motors. the planes weight is 48 lbs and flies at 50 percent throttle except on take off. this way if you have a battery problem you will loose 2 motors in the same position on oppisite wings. i never use the bec on a speed control i have lost 2 planes in the past when the speed control got hot it shut down the radio also so i always run a on board flight battery and sometimes a redundant pair likethe ones i set up in the spruce goose for back up protection. I just finished a quality glass c-130 also butit has not been flown yet, it has os glo engines in it here is a pic. of it and the goose. hope this helps. jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn39916.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	1770208   Click image for larger version

Name:	By76612.jpg
Views:	626
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	1770209   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61993.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	35.9 KB