Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Columbian C 130 Hercules show plane. Palmer, 1/12 scale

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Columbian C 130 Hercules show plane. Palmer, 1/12 scale

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 07:39 AM
mlang1321

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Columbian C 130 Hercules show plane. Palmer, 1/12 scale

Hi guys I've been a member of this site for a while now and just always watched the amazing builds you guys do. I've been building planes for about 20 years now and this will be my largest build by far. I've built a 1/4 scale Balsa USA 1917 Fokker D8, a custom ESM DC3 done up as a Canadian Coast Guard livery and numerous builds. Now I've decided to build my dream plane the Palmer C130 Hercules, I'm going to have a functional ramp with loaded vehicles & operating side jump door. It's going to have full retracts and operating doors. I think I'm going with 4 RCV90-SP gas engine's with rear exiting exhaust. It's going to be fully fiberglass with panel line hatches for all switches and a very different paint job. I've been doing a lot of research on this build and seen that most do a similar military build and I wanted to be different and decided to do a Columbian military show plane with a very bright paint scheme on it.

I'm not sure if you want to see yet another big scale C130 Hercules again but if enough interested I will do a full build thread on here and share my fun with all of you. Now I won't be as quick as some of you but I'm a disabled man and can only do things a bit at a time with lots of resting in between.

Here's what I'm thinking of as a finished job. Any advice you can give me I will greatly appreciate and accept.

Thanks Mike L

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	GwR48.jpg
Views:	1153
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	2043296   Click image for larger version

Name:	7736041510_a88c40a3aa_m.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	2043297  
Old 10-30-2014, 08:35 AM
ByLoudDesign

That is a very interesting deco!!! Please do the build thread, would be fun to watch her progress! I have a 1:10 true scale de Haviland dhc-4 design well under way! If your interested. King Air, a Canadian company, is helping me with a lot of great data which helps greatly in making a true scale designs.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:43 AM
mlang1321

Yes I'm always interested in looking at different builds. I picked that version of the C130 Hercules because I've never seen that paint scheme on any build I've followed. I think scratch build and building from a kit is a lost art. There are a lot of ARF kits out there and easier way to get flying. Since my strokes I have nothing but time and my wife encourages me to build for a stress reducer. I built before then but usually scratch from plans but now this Palmer C130 I decided to order the full wood kit from precision cut kits and save some time. It's going to be a long drawn out build with as many realistic parts as possible and able to do.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:15 AM
ByLoudDesign

It is differently different!! Drop me a email at [email protected] and I will send you some info. Hope to have the kit ready before the end of the year!
bylouddesign.com
Old 10-30-2014, 11:56 AM
mlang1321

You've got some interesting planes on your site. I just checked it out and I can see we might become good friends in rc. There are a few planes I might be interested I purchasing in the future. I'm finishing off my top flite giant P-47 and my DC3 and plan on starting my Palmer C130 Hercules in a week or two. Have you got some photos of your planes you've designed built?
Old 10-30-2014, 01:24 PM
ByLoudDesign

I have three of my models being built currently with build threads, the North American B-25J Mitchell, Dee Howard 500 and the Lockheed P-3 Orion. Each of the models has a build thread on sites whose kinks are given below. I also have a Stinson SR-9 Reliant and a Dornier Do-24T being built that said they would do a build thread but have not! Just finished a 1:11 scale Boeing B314 Clipper, this one also should have a build thread. I am hoping soon to have sometime in the tarmac!! the B-25J web site is ***********s, the link dose not seem to copy into email well!
B-25J ~ http://www.***********s.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=87698
H-500 ~ http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/...197&PN=1&TPN=1
P-3 ~ http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1745119

Last edited by ByLoudDesign; 10-30-2014 at 01:27 PM.
Old 11-01-2014, 01:52 PM
mlang1321

Anyone that has built this plane do you think that the RCV90-SP are a good engine choice or do you think there is a better choice? I'm looking at a light kit, door & retract sequencer, brake system and a chute system to remove cargo when in flight from details 4 scale. I'm just not a 100% sure on the engine choice, I like the handi starting mechanism that comes with them so you don't need to get in front of the prop to start them. I also like the ability to turn a bigger more scale prop with them as well.

Last edited by mlang1321; 11-01-2014 at 01:55 PM.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:27 PM
mlang1321

It's here its here. I show you some pictures of the box of lumber that arrived at my door today and then left since I wasn't home. But I went to the Post Office with my lovely wife to pick it up and it's massive. Not much of an instruction book with it but I'll work thru it. One thing I can say is WOW what a box of lumber but yet so organized in the packing. I was surprised to get my plans separately in a tube instead of in the box.

I'm reading the instructions book to see the order of building. I'm wondering if anyone out here that has built this tree in a box, can offer any pointers or warnings to do as i build it.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:46 AM
mlang1321

I want to know if anyone has used that servo operated fowler flap that was done in an old Model Airplane News articles from 1997 I believe. I think the article was written by a Bob Almes( I think this is his name) but not a hundred percent on it.