Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

brakes and brake controller

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

brakes and brake controller

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2022, 06:03 PM
spitfire66

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default brakes and brake controller

I am going to buy a built up Jerry Bates B-26 and I will finish a build of a Ziroli P-38. I need brakes now that I will be flying off pavement. I see Robart uses an electric controller for their pneumatic brakes and Sierra uses a UP 6. Does anyone have any preferences on which type to use? I think I will be using pneumatic gear instead of electric, and I will also use air cylinders for doors, so there will already be a pneumatic setup with 2 air tanks. I hope you all don't mind me posting in the twin engine forum, but I figure this is probably the best place for this question.
Old 03-10-2022, 06:20 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

I would look and see if an electric brake setup is available or could be made to fit. The simplicity of them is worth the effort.

if there is not, each of your states options have plus’ and minus’.

the electronic valves are simple to install, but they use more air when partial braking power is applied bc they rely on “pulses” of air pressure.

The UP6 and BVM smooth-stop use less air than the electronic ones bc they provide a metered amount of air instead of pulses. The downside to these is the need for an additional servo.

with either system i recommend their own separate air system and atleast a medium sized tank, since the brake lines down the strut get alot of movement and wear/tear.

I have used all 3 versions and found electrics to be the best setup, but their available size gets limited.
of the two pnuematic valves, i would go with the UP6 or Bvm smooth-stop as you are able to be more free with the brake useage without having to worry about running out of air.