Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

A-26 Single Engine Test

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

A-26 Single Engine Test

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 06:43 PM
twinman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A-26 Single Engine Test

I told you twins make you crazy.
Last Saturday, got a call from another crazy "twin" buddy with the VQ A-26 and two ST 45's two strokes. I think he wanted to get another plane. He has flown this for over one year.
He wanted to know if I would help with "experiment".....single engine flight test.
Not my plane!!!!! You bet!!! Grabbed the camera and was out like a shot!!!
No gyros, retracts, and Grapner 9x8 three blade props.
The test was to program each engine to separate channels, mix together, and bring the one engine to idle upon command. I did not say kill, even I am not that crazy!!!!
These engines are a bit over recommended power. Loops, inverted flight, and figure eights are all within reach. I know, he let ME fly his plane before......TEE HEE.
Anyway, took off to four or five mistakes high. Level flight, 1/2 throttle and idled the one engine.
The plane flew straight with only slight yaw, but slowing down, which is very dangerous. I yelled to go to full power on the remaining engine. Level flight was maintained and two circuits around the pattern were done. Note, for safety he turned into the running engine via throttle reduction, nose down, and throttle up after the turn. I have always been afraid of turning away from the running engine to avoid rolling over.
Now, I said flew level on one full speed engine and one idling. I did not say loops or climbing!!!
I suggested inverted low pass, but he talked bad about my forefathers at that point. No sense of adventure.
In summary, with this plane and good engine power, it will fly on one engine, relatively safely. Now, one dead engine and the drag of a stopped prop, will increase drag, but I believe it would fly.
This does not mean that you can 1. Take off with one engine 2. Lose and engine on take off and survive, Never take off without the vertical test of engine reliability. Lose an engine on take off and you will crash. 3. Never attempt to "go around" on this or any twin. Once you are committed, bring the throttle to idle and Land, no matter where you are coming down.
Now, in my opinion, is this a trainer.....no. It is a scale warbird, heavy wing loading, and short tail moment. It does have a large rudder which helps. It lands faster than single pilots are used to. Yes, my buddy does land it slower than I do, but I really do not like any possiblity of tip stalls.

Told you twins make you crazy.......now the disease is spreading.
Twinman
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88712.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	80823   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17858.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	80824   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af88450.jpg
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	80825  
Old 12-08-2003, 07:59 PM
egor

Default RE: A-26 Single Engine Test

Great looking plane glad to hear the results were positive. I've read a lot of your posts twinman and I like to think I've learned some from you. If I ever get this maratuka p-38 finished I may have to come visit my niece in lewisville and have you make the maiden flight for me.

Egor
Old 12-08-2003, 08:24 PM
twinman

Come on down.......Did you notice how warm we look here......sorry.
Tee Hee
Be careful
Twinman
Old 12-09-2003, 08:48 PM
Terror Dactyl

Twinman
After seeing the header on this thread I thought that you had gone off your meds again, but that is another story anyway. HEH HEH HEH

Take care Jim
Old 12-11-2003, 08:20 AM
samparfitt
My Feedback: (43)

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I also have a couple of 'small' OS FX .46's in mine using MAS 10X7 3-blade props.
Spring air and Robart wheels.
About 25 flights (no single engines landings, yet!).
A 'heavy' flyer but like yours, does those loops.
Hanging up in the family room right now: that bright thing you have down there called a sun won't be in my part of the country for another 4 months.
The cowls have since been painted to match the rest of the plane(had to do the same with the nacelle covers).

Name:	Ec87614.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	81442  
Old 12-11-2003, 05:27 PM
twinman

Inverted looks cool too. Nice that we are not on the warbird or scale forums.......Those guys get hyper if flight is not "Scale" ( See boring in the dictionary!!)
Look great.
Twinman
PS DON'T TRY THE SINGLE TEST>>>>>>you hands shake a lot!!!!!!
Old 12-17-2003, 01:24 PM
kamakazerc

Well boys! I just got done reading your antics, and the last one about aerobatics with scale twins. your right about that scale forum, but I have the answer to that conflict!.. I am about 50-60% done with my 138" 1/4 scale Bob Hoover shike aero commander. With twin G-38's and dual smoke, I beleive loops ,roles, and even pos single engine manuvers( If I feel dagerouse enough ) will be accepted! LOL
When I get it done and test flown this spring, all that will be left is practice, practice, practice!!!
I wiil keep this forum informed come this spring. Happy flying All!

Name:	Bz79265.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	83084   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56743.jpg
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	83085  
Old 12-17-2003, 10:02 PM
twinman

kamakazerc
The scale guys can be a bit stuffy!!!
Just goes to show why I love this forum.
Seriously, on the loops. Make sure you are very high for the first try on that. I have a Fokker F 27 at 120" and it snap rolls on top of the loop and tries it again on the recovery. Have done this twice and DON'T PLAN TO TRY AGAIN!!! Heart still racing!!!
Uh, when you try the single engine take off........can I bring the video camera? Opps video tapes pay good money for stuff like that!!!
Good Luck,
Twinman